Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:47 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

GratefulJED is right. Blinker on to pass on the autobahn. I tried it here in the states and most people dont get it. I rarely find that people respond positively to the flash to pass. I like to drive with the HID lights on and give plenty of space in front of me to avoid rock chips and not be perceived as an a-hole.

I find that HIDs have been very good - perhaps they get more respect or they are more noticable in peripherial vision?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm fed up with waiting politely while people intentionally drive slower in the fast lane when there is another lane open or with cars travelling the speed they're going. How is it that often the far right (slow) lane is empty while people in the left (fast) lanes barely achieve the speed limit? I'll have to say that since I started driving the 993 I've noticed that the number of people who pull aside to let me pass has increased. So have the number of people that follow me far too closely.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 AM
LeMarquis
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Svaha
I'll have to say that since I started driving the 993 I've noticed that the number of people who pull aside to let me pass has increased. So have the number of people that follow me far too closely.
I don't tailgate but I'm never worried about hitting the person in front of me. Braking hard in traffic I'm always looking in my rear view for the guy who was following me too close without "big red brakes"
Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Feehliks
Instructor

On German autobahn you must

not tailgate

not use the left lane for other purposes than overtaking = stay as far right as possible

not coerce/pressure cars to switch lanes

For each quite hefty fines are provided.

Blinker/flashers may be used in a appropriate manner to remind other drivers of their duties. Both are legal instruments for signalling.

Leads often to the annoying situation that a huge line of cars builds up on the left with the right being empty, because somewhere in the front a slow car is on the left lane. Reaches climax with smartasses switching to the right in order to overtake the whole line of cars.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever have the urge to flash your lights in a DE? Yikes! That would be rude.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Feehliks
On German autobahn you must

not tailgate

not use the left lane for other purposes than overtaking = stay as far right as possible

not coerce/pressure cars to switch lanes

For each quite hefty fines are provided.

Blinker/flashers may be used in a appropriate manner to remind other drivers of their duties. Both are legal instruments for signalling.

Leads often to the annoying situation that a huge line of cars builds up on the left with the right being empty, because somewhere in the front a slow car is on the left lane. Reaches climax with smartasses switching to the right in order to overtake the whole line of cars.

While no system is perfect ( illustrated by the last paragraph above), driving in most of Europe is generally well regulated and enjoyably fast . South Netherlands can be an exception ....
The key element that permits this is the careful use of the passing lanes - exposure to the left is at a minimum, and most drivers can politely communicate their intent - and be understood, by use of turn signals and brief light flashes.

We may have some of the traffic laws on the books in North America to allow us to follow the European example; however, "keep right only to pass" appears to have never drawn its first dollar in fines. Our primary myopic view of highway control and enforcement is speeding violations - for how can a cop fine a perfectly safe 55 mph driver snoozing in the fast lane ...?

Last edited by Garth S; 08-23-2006 at 10:11 AM. Reason: geographic error ...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

What's with the pick on the Belgian drivers?? Did you ever drive in France or Spain?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:53 AM
LeMarquis
User

Originally Posted by delanobe
What's with the pick on the Belgian drivers?? Did you ever drive in France or Spain?
My last girlfriend was from Roeselare, I didn't trust her driving but the rest of the country seemed good from my experience...
Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes this is a big pet peeve of mine. Here in Connecticut it's like people think they own the left lane. Drives me nuts!! I wait patiently and than just have to pass on the right. So now its just that, I wait a bit and than pass on the right. Sorry but I got places to go and I can't wait for there self righteous left lane ownership. They make me do it. Ahhh!! the autobhan only if it was like that here.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley
Ever have the urge to flash your lights in a DE? Yikes! That would be rude.
Yes, I have had the urge, but quickly remembered that I would melt my tape
Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
Whoops .. Pardon the geographic error on my part - corrected my post: In addition to good driving, Belgium does have the best beer .
I was nearly wiped out several times by unpredictable drivers in clapped out cars in the adjacent land mentioned ..
Old 08-23-2006, 10:22 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

Good save! ;-)

Ps We also have the best cholate and belgian waffels!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 579 Posts

It was my understanding that flashing the headlights was a polite way to remind/announce your intention to pass (well known in Europe). I always follow that with a wave of the hand to thank the driver for complying.

The reason, I believe, that people hang in the left lane in the US is primarily due to a driver’s sense of safety and ease. By staying left you avoid the stop and go in the right lane that occurs when 18 wheeled trucks are driving slower and when cars are merging. It is simpler to move all the way to the left, drive at a pace that is somewhat slower than the average speed of traffic and let everyone else work it out for them selves.

For these people (and anyone else, too) lane changing can be dangerous and it is just more mental work. It is also more mental work to stay right and maintain vigilance for slower or stopping traffic and merging traffic. It is easier to rear end someone or be rear ended by someone because of changing speeds.

Changing speeds when traffic is congested leads to an accordion effect where the further back in the pack you are, the slower you must slow down when the pack lead slows down. Given enough cars it is possible for the leader to tap his brakes when another car is merging into his lane and by the time the event ripples to the back of the pack that car must come to a near stop. This is what drives a lot of rear end collisions.

So, many people find that staying left avoids most of those issues, which are far more frightening that the occasional aggressive driver tailgating behind them.

The last factor in the equation is that in the US it is too easy to get a license. The minimum requirement to drive is very low and driver education is not comprehensive enough. Add the fact that their parents and peers have bad driving habits and it easy for a new driver to simply follow suit.

Some states such as New York and now Pennsylvania have laws prohibiting loitering in the left passing lanes. I think this helps, but there are a slew of other bad habits that need to be addressed and the best way is better driver education programs and more rigorous exams to get your license.

On a lighter note, I can always tell when I cross the state border into Pennsylvania because all of a sudden there are more potholes than an Iraqi minefield. Conversely, when I enter Ohio I know by virtue of the fact that most every car loiters in the left lane!

Then there is Chicago! The rules just don’t apply. The most impressive feat I have seen was when I was passed in heavy traffic, which was only going 75 in 55 zone, by a car doing 85 MPH with a space saver spare on the rear. He was weaving through 3 lanes of traffic like it was a Road & Track test drive.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

As one who commutes in my S2000 from Niagara to Toronto daily (200km's roundtrip), I find that the "commuters" generally practice fairly good habits. The only donkeys I seem to stumble upon are the one's with US plates - Michigan and NY are the biggest offenders.
Weekend tourists are another story altogether.
Flame suit on ...
Old 08-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,146 Likes on 1,824 Posts

While I agree with various posts here that there are geographical differences from one state/province to another, I'd have to say that us Canadians have bad habits too...

Quick Reply: Autobahn