993 Forum 1995-1998

car died on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
mborkow: glad to hear you're back on the road the same day! I would be grateful to know who did the work for you, since I am headed for the same breakdown, sooner or later.
i always have my car worked on by tony heyer at heyer performance (they have done all my services, a valve job, steering rack, alternator, lwf/clutch and soon my brakes). tony is located in mountain view. his phone number is 650 962 0930 (his web site is www.heyerperformance.com). tony is both extremely honest and extremely competent (no affiliation, just a very happy customer). he has twice turned around my car in less than a day (alternator and steering rack) neither time with advanced warning. i didn't even get there until after 10 yesterday, and he still had my car ready at 3:30 (because he knows i leave work at around 4 pm)!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great tip for an indy shop, and right in my area. I'll keep the address in my 993 -- thanks!!

Originally Posted by mborkow
i always have my car worked on by tony heyer at heyer performance (they have done all my services, a valve job, steering rack, alternator, lwf/clutch and soon my brakes). tony is located in mountain view. his phone number is 650 962 0930 (his web site is www.heyerperformance.com). tony is both extremely honest and extremely competent (no affiliation, just a very happy customer). he has twice turned around my car in less than a day (alternator and steering rack) neither time with advanced warning. i didn't even get there until after 10 yesterday, and he still had my car ready at 3:30 (because he knows i leave work at around 4 pm)!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Interesting that the diagnosis was alternator. Based on my experience, symptoms sounded more like a broken alternator belt (sudden failure of battery, shortly after dash lights up like a christmas tree).
Though I'm sure your shop would eliminate that first before selling you an alternator...
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Interesting that the diagnosis was alternator. Based on my experience, symptoms sounded more like a broken alternator belt (sudden failure of battery, shortly after dash lights up like a christmas tree).
Though I'm sure your shop would eliminate that first before selling you an alternator...
i am sure they did, and the belt was pretty new (about a year old).
Old 08-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys,
Might want to check at Autozone etc for rebuilt alternators. IIRC they were in the $200 range.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:17 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
so, in the end, it cost $618 (out the door including tax) and i didn't need a new battery (thank god). i'm glad this crisis is ended with the car back on the road the same day! thanks for the support :-)
I'd still keep an eye on your battery, one day is not enough to tell if it has full capacity anymore.

ZP44
Old 08-23-2006, 02:21 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
I'd still keep an eye on your battery, one day is not enough to tell if it has full capacity anymore.
it started this am after sitting 10 hours; is that long enough, or do i need to keep an eye on it?

Quick Reply: car died on freeway