Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire sidewall damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

'Z' and higher speed rated tires generally share certain construction techniques, particulary in the bead area: A quick review of the basic construction could help you (Raffi) make an informed decision about the future of this tire.
In the area of concern, the basis begins with the bead, which is a steel cable, comprised of numerous twisted strands: the bead determines the diameter and retention of the tire to the rim. This is bonded to a particular rubber compound, and then wrapped with a profiled, high modulus ( = v. stiff) rubber that forms a thin triangle that sits on the bead and whose tip is ~1/2 way up the sidewall.
The body radial ply fabric then drops straight down the sidewall, wrapping around the inside of the bead, and terminating from 1/3 to 1/2 way up the outer sidewall.
This 'wrap up' is often covered with a ribbon of bias cut aramid or steel cable fabric ... then wrapped in two part layer of sidewall compound .. then the rim 'bumper'/protector.

As Monique noted, if you see no corded products ( aramid, polyester, steel), you are generally safe - I would also examine the tire interior.

Sorry for the long response, but it may help to make a decision if one knows more of what they are looking at - and trust me - this is a very quick and simplistic insight into tire construction.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed info Garth, the bottom is only rubber. Damon from tirerack also said I could still use the tire so long as the base of the damage is still rubber.

Quick Reply: Tire sidewall damage