Sponsored by:

AC fan surges--free pix of "The Vinyl Lady" to best answer

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:21 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Dave--mine is exactly that same problem...
Old 08-19-2006, 01:45 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 305 Posts

As above,,,

Which vacuum line in the engine controls the "Flap" that is preventing the cold air from coming into the cabin?
I can here the fan moving.
When I turn off the AC, cool air rushes into the cabin.

thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KBell, I had a problem where I could tell the AC was on and working, but the flaps were shut down and the air was trapped and unable to enter the car. The loose vacuum line that I finally found was not in the engine compartment, but in the front, between the two pollen filters. There was a thin black vacuum line, slightly smaller in diameter than a pencil, that starts on the passengers side of the car and ended in a fitting in the middle. When I reinserted the vacuum line into its fitting proper AC blowing was returned.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:45 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Terry, I believe that you are correct. However, I feel that what Dave and Bobby describe might simply be a loose contacts or hear-rlated intermittency of teh snowflake botton itself.

Mind, you, this is not from experience, just a guess. But I do not see, logically, a difference in the operation between the two buttons that would cause the stumble on one and not the other.

PS. Dave, are you planning to make either of the events next weekend? I wanted to ask you a few questions about the resistor replacement, I have to do mine.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, Which events? If you have a resistor question, you should stop by and I show you my lift as we swap out your resistor.

As far as the big snowflake, buttons are normally go or no go once pushed. Once the button contact is made, I can't see the button as a cause for the fan surging.
(I don't normally admit to this but my EE experience has completely blinded me from the possiblity of finding an easy solution to any problem.)
Old 08-20-2006, 12:45 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Aha, David, you're an EE as well?

I don't think that the snowflake button actually turns on a relay. I believe the current flows through it directly. So if it intermittently loses contact... But I have my 993 Electric manual packed away somewhere, so I can;t look it up to be sure.

The events are NER and NCR autocrosses at Ft. Devens on Saturday and Sunday.

Oh, I'd love to come up at some point to look at your lift an swap the resistor. Perhaps, when teh stiches dissolve and I feel more up to doing it we'll make it happen?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:53 AM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is the same. I'm sure its a bad connection on the circuit board. I can get it to go off and on by pushing on the front panel by the buttons. Only happens with the big snowflake switch pushed in.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I guess the cause is the "cold solder joint" gremlin once gain. Likely on the Central electric card up front or the CCC itself.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:20 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

So there are at least three of us with exactly the same symptoms--Dudley, 4X4SCHE, and me. I'll try to see if I can get the blower to stutter by pushing on the front of the CCU.

Mine is truly intermittent. Sometimes weeks go by with no episode. This may be a "feature" that we all just live with. It's certainly not worth replacing the CCU...
Old 08-20-2006, 02:55 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bobby T-

My symptoms are the same as well. Keep me in the loop of a solution.

Thank you,
Mike

Quick Reply: AC fan surges--free pix of "The Vinyl Lady" to best answer