Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guy opened his door and dinged me..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To all you guys who say "WTF" about why people park next to you when you are on the far side of the lot and there are 50 spaces all around, let me splain it to ya. There are bad people in the world. Beyond careless or clueless, actually mean and nasty. They see a car parked on its own, and in their feeble minds, they say to themselves, "oh, so you think you're so special, eh? You got a poorsh. Oooooh. Well I'll show you a thing or two..." And they ding your door, key it, whatever.

We can lament the fact that these people exist, scratch our heads 'til we're bald wondering why anyone would do such a thing, or cry and moan when they do it. But the fact remains, these low-lifes are out there, and we are pretty much powerless to stop them.

The good news is that most people are not like that. Most people are reasonably careful about getting in and out of their cars, especially if there is a nice car next to them. Not everyone, but most.

So, your chances of a scumbag parking next to you are greatly diminished if you simply park right along with everyone else. Pull into a normal space between to other cars, and chances are, the people parked on either side are normal, courteous people. Park out in the middle of nowhere, and you draw attention, attracting those who wish to do harm to you. And you give them a nice open parking space next to you to do it. Don't make it so easy for them!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amen Bruce. Almost nobody does the "park far out by myself" around this region any longer, as it absolutely draws those who want to key, ding, smash windows, etc. Park with the crowd and the car will be overlooked.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some Options~ Drive out of your garage and go for a ride then back in the garage. Never park anywhere. Safest!
Or you have to learn to cope with that ongoing nightmare
of what you really wanted to do to the guy when you find him
and video the torture for YouTube!!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brucec59
But the fact remains, these low-lifes are out there, and we are pretty much powerless to stop them.

The good news is that most people are not like that. Most people are reasonably careful about getting in and out of their cars, especially if there is a nice car next to them. Not everyone, but most.
I don't know about that... I lift weights almost every day, I'd say I have a fair amount of power against lowlifes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:46 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I always had my girlfriend babysit my car when I ran in before I sold it due to this overseas deployment. If I was going somewhere for an extended period I didn't take the P-car.....
Old 08-18-2006, 02:12 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

here in southamerica you take something sharp and draw a nice thing over his or her car as a souvenir for being so idiot ... you can take your time ... nobody is gonna complain ...

perhaps thats the reason people downhere are someway more carefull to do not damage other people cars , specially nice ones. sorry for the ding. i hate dings .....
Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Just last week I had the opportunity to ask one of these person "WHY ?" First I am one those guys that only drive 993 when I know that it does not leave my site or it is a secure private place . So on this occasion I was driving my daily driver which I take great pride of also . I went to Costco and parked around the back at the last stall , parking at least two n half feet to the right pass the line.(no other stall so no I was not taking up two stalls)
When I came back pushing my shopping cart THERE IT WAS a car park no more then ten inches from my car with dozen n dozen n dozen of empty parking stalls all over .As I approach the car I was saying to myself WTF!! whats with these idiots ? Then I notice the driver was standing there . I just stop behind my car just dumb founded and couldn`t help myself and went to her and being dumb founded I was lost for word for the most part . I look at her and said " I can`t help myself but to ask you why ? " as i was motioning with arms n hands a to where her car is parked in relation to my car n motioning to all the other empty spaces . THIS IS HER ANSWER " OHHHHH I`m sorry I`ll move " with a dump *** look on her face that was only comparable to her dump *** self centered parking habits .
I did not get mad or anything just glad she had no passenger that could of got out ding my car . All I could do was shake my head n load the car n go.
So the moral of this story is, NO simple explanation or solutions aslong as there is simple minded people .
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to read that Coleman, hopefully it wasn't that clown-town who I had a little run in with at my friend's party a couple months back. It wasn't a black older-type Audi with faded paint, yellow brake calipers etc was it? That guy is a class A ****. Rick Seidman (Dent Masters) number is 680-4401. He's the guy who straightened out the dings in my car and your buddy with the GT3. (no affiliation yada yada)
Old 08-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timely topic, with a little twist. Yesterday I was in my office have a meeting, when I hear this loud "whirring" noise. I look out the window (I'm on the second floor) and there's this landscaper with a huge "leaf blower" mounted to the front of a commercial lawn tractor (this thing is huge, not some little back-pack blower).

I watch in horror as he sweeps up and down the entire parking lot full of cars and proceeds to blow dirt, gravel, sand, rock and anything else that happens to be on the ground (they are constructing a new building next to mine) into every single parked car in the lot. By the time I got out there and told the guy to stop (he didn't speak any English) my car was covered with rocks, dirt and gravel. There was a Z06 next to me and he had his window open. The interior was filled with dirt. And the BMW 650 next to him was covered as well.

I am now battling with the guy responsible for the ground crew as to who is going to pay for the chips in my windshield and paint. In addition, I found out this is not the first time this has happened on our campus. I have taken pictures and am waiting for their response.

It should be fun!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:22 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
Timely topic, with a little twist. Yesterday I was in my office have a meeting, when I hear this loud "whirring" noise. I look out the window (I'm on the second floor) and there's this landscaper with a huge "leaf blower" mounted to the front of a commercial lawn tractor (this thing is huge, not some little back-pack blower).

I watch in horror as he sweeps up and down the entire parking lot full of cars and proceeds to blow dirt, gravel, sand, rock and anything else that happens to be on the ground (they are constructing a new building next to mine) into every single parked car in the lot. By the time I got out there and told the guy to stop (he didn't speak any English) my car was covered with rocks, dirt and gravel. There was a Z06 next to me and he had his window open. The interior was filled with dirt. And the BMW 650 next to him was covered as well.

I am now battling with the guy responsible for the ground crew as to who is going to pay for the chips in my windshield and paint. In addition, I found out this is not the first time this has happened on our campus. I have taken pictures and am waiting for their response.

It should be fun!
Unbelievable! It's tough dealing with people whose IQ is about equal to their age. The fact that he doesn't speak english, that's icing on the cake.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
williet1342
Pro

Thumbs up

That sucked I'm sure. But you did the right thing. I think we all liked your comment about not keying his/her car in an act of unsportsmanship. I hope some of the younger p-car crowd and/or our kids etc...read your post and recognize what you meant. Good for you.

Cheers from the Palmetto State.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:09 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People are unbelievable with their total disregard for other people's property and their lack of taking responsibility for their actions. Not too long ago I watched an older gentleman in our grocery store parking lot proceed to try and push his cart across the parking lot to the cart return instead of walking it over to the return himself. Needless to say the cart went off course and hit the bumper of this person's car. I'm literally standing there in amazement as the guy walks over and just puts the cart in the return and starts to get in his car. I immediately walked over to the car that was hit, noticed the scratches on the bumper (it was a black car) and then proceeded to stop the guy and tell him what he had done and that if he trys to get in his car and leave I'll take his tag # down and call the cops. I get a piece of paper and pen out of my car...tell him to write his info down including his tag number on his car to leave the note on the person's car he hit with the cart.. As we're doing this the owner walked out, I told him what happened and they took it from there.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:13 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark....you're such a tattle-tale!!!!! glad it wasn't my car - and if it was I'd be glad you were there....some clown-town hit my 928 once backing up his truck in my office's parking lot. Big dent, many many $$$$'s to fix. If one of my co-workers hadn't seen him and made him give up all his info I'd have been stuck. Glad that you tattle-tales are out there!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

So if you are interested in an update, I met with the guy on our campus who was to look at my car and determine if the damage was caused by the landscaper hitting it with rocks/dirt from the huge blower or normal "wear and tear".

The first thing this "expert" does is take his folio and put it on top of my car. I ask him to please remove it from the vehicle in that it can cause scratches to the paint. He immediately begins to argue with me that his folio is very soft and will not scratch my paint. I didn't make the situation any better by stating that if he didn't know that putting anything on the paint will make it scratch, then he has no knowledge about paint and the associated damage and is not qualified to make an assessment.

To make a long story short he accused me of doctoring the photos and trying the make claims against the company to try and get some money. He offered me $20 to take my car to the car wash. I laughed and told him that the bottles of polish and wax I used cost more than $20 each.

We'll see how far I get with this "expert".
Old 08-21-2006, 06:47 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first thing this "expert" does is take his folio and put it on top of my car. I ask him to please remove it from the vehicle in that it can cause scratches to the paint. He immediately begins to argue with me that his folio is very soft and will not scratch my paint.
I think I would have taken his portfolio and hit him in the head with it to prove that it is capable of causing scratches.

Quick Reply: Guy opened his door and dinged me..