Sponsored by:

Want those tires shaved?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Want those tires shaved?

I started this thread as a few months back, I needed some Toyo RA-1 tires shaved. I got these tires on a special deal from a business associate. Now here I am with a brand new set of Toyo RA-1 tires, I want them shaved!

When you read the mfg. instructions from Kumho, Toyo, Hankook, Yokohama, almost without exception, they recommend shaving their DOT tires to 4/32....see the enclosed article for some of the reasons. MPSC comes with 6/32...some users do not feel it is worth the performance gain to shave MPSC tires.

On the west coast (SoCal) I know of only only one place to get tires shaved, and they are super busy, you need a 30 day window to get them shaved.

From the Rennlist DE and Racers Board, Jack Olsen provides a link of Toyo Motorsports Dealers off the NASA website: Toyo Motorsports Dealers He says they will sell you Toyo tires and shave them too. But what if you want your Hankook tires, or some other brand shaved? Some folks running in Stock Class may want to shave a non "R" high performance tire. Note: You can buy Kumho tires shaved from Tire Rack.

There is the other source I originally mentioned, discovered on a Google search. Phil's Tire Service Not only does Phil sell most all of the major brands, he can shave them for you as well. His shop is located in New York...ship the tires FedEx or UPS Ground, and NO Sales Tax.

Phil is a racer too...so he knows the tires from that viewpoint. Ask him for the Feather Merchant's Discount. That way he'll know you are from Rennlist, the 993 Board or the POC. You get competitive prices and a shaved tire too. The cost to shave them is reasonable. Also note, Phill gets major props on the DE/Racer Board.

In SoCal, if you buy RA-1 tires from a source other than Tire Rack, and you want them shaved...or Kumho VictoRacers or Kumho Ecsta tires, or the new Hankook RSS Z211...tough, it nearly can't be done. From the NASA list above I do see a dealer in the San Fernando Valley though. I can't promise he'll shave tires that he doesn't sell you. I know this IS the case at the Buttonwillow dealer on the NASA list. He will only shave tires that he has sold you...I can understand his position.

Also note that Sierra Tire in Las Vegas, part of the Frisby tire chain, can probably get tires shaved for you. He works hand in glove with Lynn Heaps from Topless Performance in AZ. But this isn't SoCal!

Check it out!

I have no connection, financial or otherwise, to any tire mfg or shop mentioned in this post.
Attached Images

Last edited by Martin S.; 08-17-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

FYI, don't bother shaving MPSC's or Hoosiers, unless your last name is Gates or Buffet.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool Listen to Mark...

The Hoosiers are already at 4/32 as are the Hankook Ventus Z214 and the Kumho 710...no shaving needed!. The MPSC tires are 6/32 deep Michelin Man Web Site: MPSC Tires . Theoretically they could benefit from shaving, sorry to report. I have watched my tires being shaved...all that rubber on the floor under the tire lathe

The good news, when I went out in the track with these freshly shaved RA-1 tires, they hooked up immediately.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
FYI, don't bother shaving MPSC's or Hoosiers, unless your last name is Gates or Buffet.
Never ever found shaving to be useful for MPSCs. As the Michelin Race Tire Reps who attended a Tech session said..."maybe if you can tell the last .1 sec in your lap times you should shave them".

Hossiers have nothing to shave as M in B said. Was that Jimmy Buffet?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out Nate Jones in Long Beach for expert tire shaving.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool Demographics please!!!

Google says:

Nate Jones Tire Co
1837 N Reservoir Dr E
Long Beach, CA 90804
(562) 597-3369
innerauto.com

Thanks for the tip!!!