Sponsored by:

bump steer(?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:55 AM
RustyRotors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump steer(?)

I have started to notice an increasing annoying bump steer situation that I would like to get some feedback on. I have a 96 993 C2. I have done some mods that include - 18 inch BBS wheels that came off of my 01 Boxster S. These wheels have the Boxster offset which I beleive has a 5mm difference to the 993 standard offset. I did also manually turn down the lower front spring saddles to lower the extremely high front end. I just recently installed a BreyKrause front strut bar. This tightened up the steering but did not do anything to help with the bump steer situation.

I also have noticed another annoying situation that I would describe as tourque steer. While under acceleration the car will 'steer' itself to the right. Lift up on the accelerator and the car will steer to the left. I haven't tried, but I bet I could steer around a corner by manipulating the throttle only.

How do i get rid of this situation? I would like to improve my suspension over the winter but I am also afraid that my Boxster wheels would not fit the wheel well openings after being lowered with the PSS9 or a stock strut with H&R springs.

Your opinions please.

Thanks
Ron
Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you realign the car following the height adjustment? Is there an uneven tire wear pattern developing? A front drop can noticibly change the toe-in, etc., depending on how much it was lowered.
Data on the wheel width, ET, and tire size will better indicate fit and influence on suspension geometry.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:33 AM
deltawedge
Racer

Sounds like an alignment is in order. "Bump" steer can happen in the front and the rear (dynamic toe). When properly aligned, the effects you noted should not be present. If you lower enough (too much), the bump steer in the front can not be eliminated without new spindles and tie rods ($$).
Old 08-14-2006, 10:01 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So, you just lowered the front and leaving the rear fixed at the same height? If so, rake is wrong, aligment is off, front toe is off and most likely kinematic toe is off.

Do yourself a favor and take the car to a competent shop so they can set proper ride height and align.

The front threads are not there for changing front ride height but rather to set proper corner balance and rake at the factory. If ou want to lower the car, get coilovers or adjustable shocks such as Bilsteins HD's, etc.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:16 PM
RustyRotors
Advanced

I did do an alignment. I have no uneven unusual tire wear.

Looks like I should just crank it back up and look forward to doing some suspension upgrades this winter when the car is off the road.

Thanks

Quick Reply: bump steer(?)