Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for H&R sport spring Users ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Question for H&R sport spring Users ...

If you have H&Rs over Bilstein HDs, I would appreciate some input on both the front installed height measured at the factory point - and the amount of additional upward adjustment available. The latter can be in the form of thread count showing, distance between the mount and locknut, etc.

Why ask? Well, for my install, the target was ROW Sport height at 144/127mm front to rear. On one front H&R, I max out at 130mm which left the adjuster engaged on a single thread .... just enough to allow the locknut to function. With this being the limiting dimension, it would be simple enough to adjust everything else to match; however, that is really too low for what I want .... but more importantly, I suspect that particular spring is sagged - defective. The clue is that after adding 9 turns of upward adjustment (13.5mm), that corner only raised 4-5mm. These were used springs

So, before I shell out for a new set of H&Rs ( anybody have a good set?) - I wish to confirm the suspicion re the above. IE - Is ROW Sport a realistic target for this suspension combination?? If so, then I do have a dead spring.

If a change is required, M030's may be suggested; however, my front HDs have the short threads - and apparently this is a severe restriction in not allowing the car to drop enough - the reverse issue.

TIA for your input.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,743 Likes on 2,703 Posts

I have my H&R/Bilstein HD's set at 993RS height +10mm higher (Don't know how this compares to "Sport"). Love it there (looks, performance and drivability). There is ample room to corner-balance up or down from there (don't know about numbere of threads just now).
Old 08-14-2006, 04:31 AM
Mac Schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if this is of help to you, because I was more concerned about the lower range of adjustment with this combination. I just installed Bilstein HDs and H&Rs and went through the same research. I didn't think the M030 ROW springs would get me low enough without the extended threads... I had mine set at 134mm front/120mm rear, and I think that after a couple weeks of driving I'm now at more like 126mm front/114mm rear. I may actually have to come up a bit. On one side my front adjustment is all the way at the bottom.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc05580_2.jpg
Old 08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Bilsteins/H&R combo. I doudbt that you can get all the way up to ROW height with this combo. I sit between ROW and RS height up front and with the proper corner balance, I am almost maxed out on top of the threads so I could not raise my car to ROW height if I wanted to.

So, I don't think you have bad springs, H&R's are shorter than ROW springs.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry if the terminology is confusing (me too ) I used the term ROW Sport, but this may be more commonly referred to as ROW M030.

ROW sport = ROW with M030 springs = ~30mm lower than US spec, or 144/127mm +/-10mm
My concern/confusion is that one front coil does not respond to adjustment - and cannot reach even the lowest range of this spec, wheras the other coils have adjustment room left.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
My concern/confusion is that one front coil does not respond to adjustment - and cannot reach even the lowest range of this spec, wheras the other coils have adjustment room left.
I've been there. That is the way it is on mine. Once the car was corner balanced at the shop. I am almost maxed out on the right shock thread and I still have 1/3 of an inch difference with the left side (driver side for us).

So, even at the maxed up position, I don't reach ROW sport height. I sit lower than that. I am between RS (lowest) and ROW sport (what you want).

H&R springs are shorter than ROW sport springs, and with the Bilsteins, it would be hard to get the car as high as ROW sport.

Quick Reply: Question for H&R sport spring Users ...