Sponsored by:

Malibu Cyn. CHP Dragnet - Stung!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:40 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You got off because you are a guy driving a really nice Porsche as intended, but not in a way that was reckless or posing a danger to others. Recklessness would have resulted in a less friendly encounter.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure it varies by State and jurisdiction, but I have lived in States where the "visual" is just as good as the pacing method. The Police often set up and pick some visual markers, then time (could be by simple "counting") cars going past at acceptable speeds, often using another police car to do the test runs at various speeds. Then, they sit back and "time you" between the visual spots they picked (particularly if you draw their attention with noise, etc.). Not unlike the method used by air surveillance for speeding tickets. That is, using white lines marked on the side of the highway. I was once caught by the Connecticut Air Force at a rather brisk pace. And don't expect to get much more explanation other than "I got you on a visual"....until you show up in court and then hear the exact process reported to the judge.......
Old 08-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Christian

You got a warning on speed and a fix it ticket, nice job.

An officer may cite based on a visual estimate of your speed. Highway Patrol Officers are traffic officers and the courts recognize their expertise. Once in court, however, you would stand a better chance of being found not guilty with the right defense than if you were caught on radar or paced. I have no doubt that your courteous demeanor and strong stance that you were not speeding assisted you in not being cited for speeding.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:29 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input C and others. I will report back how it goes. Must say, it was a beautiful afternoon regardless and as usual, I felt blessed that I could drive what I drive and drive it where I do!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:33 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Please forgive a 964 owner trolling the 993 boards. The missing front plate is/can be an excuse to pull you over in "questionable" situations. With a little clever conversation they may get you to concede what your speed may be and BAM, they get you.

Just a warning - CHP is making a larger presence in Rancho Palos Verdes area especially on Palos Verdes Drive East. They had several cars pulled over in a matter of a few miles.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That would need to be one hell of a "clever conversation"!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:58 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good reason to use a Bearcat (alongside a V1)....one of these days I'm going to get around to installing mine....
Old 08-15-2006, 03:11 AM
993mike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christian, I've heard your cups so if you were in second I can imagine what the guy heard...lol. Thanks for the heads up, good luck with this thing. Sounds like it will work out ok, though.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:25 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know.. Christian, I tried to keep up with you on a canyon run a while back...and.....
Old 08-15-2006, 03:36 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,415 Likes on 2,027 Posts

Just a heads up in SoCal. I've notice a big step up in enforcement by CHP and locals in SD. They do this every once in a while. Always follow the money trail.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Feehliks
Instructor

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Answer: Yes he can and will (if he shows up), and the judge will consider his opinion as expert testimony. Lacking any evidence that he was 1) wrong 2) not really an expert capable of making this judgment = you lose.
I would somehow understand if Christian was doing 80 instead of 40. I accept the presumption that a trained officer could reliably distinguish that difference. But in this case we talk about 10 mph in excess, only. Would the judge take the officer's estimate for granted given this small difference?

Best regards,

Felix

Quick Reply: Malibu Cyn. CHP Dragnet - Stung!