993 Forum 1995-1998

Sunroof liner detached .... Now repaired

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Sunroof liner detached .... Now repaired

My sunroof liner fabric is detached all across the back edge: searching the archives brought up several good methods to reattach the front ... but never a mention of the rear.
Has anyone had to deal with this? - better yet, have a recommended repair? I presume that the rear headliner zipper is the way in, but thought I'd ask before entering a path of no return .... TIA

Last edited by Garth S; 08-10-2006 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Repair update
Old 08-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the liner underneath the panel (the part that retracts into the roof) or the headliner fabric at the rear of the roof?

The liner under the movable panel has about 7 clips that press hold it into the panel. You pull down from the front and slide it out. It's much easier when the panel is out, but then you get into another can of worms.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
Are you talking about the liner underneath the panel (the part that retracts into the roof) or the headliner fabric at the rear of the roof?

The liner under the movable panel has about 7 clips that press hold it into the panel. You pull down from the front and slide it out. It's much easier when the panel is out, but then you get into another can of worms.

Yes, the rear of the sliding panel: so, it appears that one moves the sunroof back an inch or so .... and starts pulling down on 7 or so clips to remove a fabric covered underpanel .... ??
Old 08-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. Here's a pic of the underside of the panel:
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Repair worked:
The aggravation factor on this one is high - but no worse that having the fabric flapping around in the breeze.
The 7 clips Don illustrated popped out easily. Then, remove the entire folding windscreen flap ( 8 screws in total) with the roof panel half retracted. By moving the roof panel back and forth, the lower (inner fabric panel) can be pulled out from its guides forward over the windshield. Two plastic edge clips ~10" long will be left behind in the side guides .... leave them there and refeed the liner panel into these clips on reassembly - this is the most step of the procedure. I tried attaching them to the panel before insertion into the roof .... no go!
Once the panel was out, all fabric flaps were lifted, cleaned and resealed using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (#80010) This is a yellow goop that works like a contact cement - and sticks to everything. Keep plenty of rags and paint thinner to clean fingertips - or that crap will be everywhere ...
Works great and the roof still cycles after the repair ... amazing ....
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
remove the entire folding windscreen flap ( 8 screws in total) with the roof panel half retracted.
So that's the trick to getting that bugger out.
I tried this a while back and couldn't get it out.
Guess I have another go at it.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The rearmost edge of my liner vibrates at highway speeds. A business card folded in half and jammed in at the edge works well, but I'm looking for a more sophisticated repair.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 PM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resurecting this thread...

I used the instructions in this thread (thanks to all) to pull out my panel today as the rear of the headliner had come unglued. Everything went fine except that the driver's side plastic edge clip described by Garth_S is nowhere to be found. I found the passenger side clip laying loose under the roof panel guides but cannot find the other clip.

Anyone have clues as to where I should be looking for the missing edge clip?

Where should these clips be placed when I go to reinstall the lower panel with headliner? Garth_S mentioned that they should not be placed on the panel before reinstallation.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, there is another thread on this topic in which several folks recommended using Pliobond adhesive to reglue the headliner. After much searching I found some Pliobond today at a local hardware store (after calling or visiting at least 6 others). I plan to use Pliobond + the small binder clip/coffee stirrer clamp suggestion discussed in that thread.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
The rearmost edge of my liner vibrates at highway speeds. A business card folded in half and jammed in at the edge works well, but I'm looking for a more sophisticated repair.
I have the same issues at times... I found that pushing up the headliner every week or two stop it from doing that for a while. Good idea on the business card!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:40 AM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I re-glued the headliner back to the panel today; took lots of lacquer thinner to get the old cement off and used Pliobond to re-glue. I used medium binder clips and the wide wooden craft sticks from Michael's to clamp.

I could still use some help in determining where to look for my missing driver's side plastic clip as described by Garth_S. I also don't know what the plastic clips do, and where they are to be placed before I reinstall the panel.

Any advice is appreciated!

Quick Reply: Sunroof liner detached .... Now repaired