Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bouzoukikid
Mine would not lock. Yes up.

The casing comes apart;
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=53378&highlight=latch

There are two visible philips screws on each side of the cover (you can see these with the roof still latched. Remove these and see if you can pull the cover down gently to get better visibility. You may be able to get a screwdriver in there and knock the latches to release. If the gears are gone the latches will spin freely.
I removed the cover attached by 2 small phillip screws. I can see the pins but not enough room to knock or push the latches to release. I've been trying for several hours but no luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Glad you managed to take the cover off. I just did the same (pulled my car apart).

STEP AWAY FROM GRINDER

Remove the four big alan key bolts and twiddle the motor or drop or raise the body of the motor (the magnet side).
Im sure this will release the latch as it sits vertically to the car windscreen panel.
Good luck.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bouzoukikid; 08-16-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

I'm able to remove the 4 allen bolts holding the motor but since the pin is partially locked I can not drop the body of the motor out of the frame. I tried twiddling and pushing the motor up and down, but no success. That's my dilemma- how to remove motor whilst the pin is still partially latched to windscreen frame.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

on the passenger side (my drivers side RHD) the magnet side needs to move up. I lot of violent shaking AND also shake the soft top up and down to release tension on the latch.

Don't forget a lot of these cars had recalls where softops would open by themselves. Your latch should be freely rotating because of the bad teeth.

If all else fails, grinder on the gear mechanism but last resort. AND MOVE WIRING OUT THE WAY.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

I shall try it one more time when I reach home this evening. Otherwise surgical grinding is the last resort moviing away wiring and upholstery fo course. It'll be messy with metal chips all over if I decide to grind away. Thanks for your time!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Your welcome.
I know how frustrating these little jobs can become so I feel your pain.

Another thing to try is to loosen bolts on both motors to give you some lateral movement. Move the faulty motor whilst pressing the switch backwards and forward, and slight up and down movement on the soft-top. The gear may just catch.
You'll need an extra pair of hands.

Costa.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:16 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you managed to take the cover off. I just did the same (pulled my car apart).

STEP AWAY FROM GRINDER

Remove the four big alan key bolts and twiddle the motor or drop or raise the body of the motor (the magnet side).
Im sure this will release the latch as it sits vertically to the car windscreen panel.
Good luck.
This is what I was thinking...
Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSL
Ryan-
Try removing the front cover over the motors and undoing the faulty motor. If I remember correctly, you should be able to pull it out toward the back of the car, which gets the cam out of the lock in the windscreen.
Ryan, hmmm ... I am thinking Brian has the clue here.....
Wondering if you can pop the trim off, you then ought to be able to access the the motor retaining screws, unscrew them from the cab frame, unplug the wiring and lift the cab top up leaving the motor latches still locked into the windscreen. Perhaps then you'll have sufficient access to split the motor casing in situ, (easy job) remove the worm gear innards and spin the cam latch away from the windscreen lock ... the other half of the assembly will then come away.

I think then, depending on the $$ it may be an option to buy new motor assemblies complete rather than stuff around replacing the stripped gear, as I did.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 PM
machisono
Advanced

Aloha Ryan,

Just found your posts this afternoon, and started twiddling the motor back and forth and gently pushing on the cab top and the latch released and motor pulled out. Stay strong!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Ryan360
Instructor

on the passenger side (my drivers side RHD) the magnet side needs to move up. I lot of violent shaking AND also shake the soft top up and down to release tension on the latch.

Don't forget a lot of these cars had recalls where softops would open by themselves. Your latch should be freely rotating because of the bad teeth.

If all else fails, grinder on the gear mechanism but last resort. AND MOVE WIRING OUT THE WAY.
VICTORY at last! I brought in the big gun (my wife) to push on the cab frame up and down while i twiddled with the latch motor. It finally came out. thanks for all your help on this "easy" DIY.

Now the decision is replace the gear ($99) or purchase a new unit. Pelican has them for $359. Used for $280. Any thoughts or experience with gear change only.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...20Cabrio%20%20

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...otor+Gear.aspx
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

VICTORY at last!
Hurraaaayy!!!!!

I brought in the big gun (my wife)
Yes they can be useful

There are two philips screws holding the magnet motor to the gears. If they have become loose, the motor spindle gear will not make contact with the gears as happened to mine.

No experience here in replacing the gears I'm afraid.

If you need to replace the motor, the price differential between new and used does not seem enough to me and I would personally opt for new.

Regards
Costa.

Last edited by Bouzoukikid; 08-17-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

When I had mine apart, I was not able to remove the gear and ended up replacing the motor--bought from 944/951 Guy on here--he was helpful and had a very reasonable price.

Quick Reply: CAB Top Problem -- Need Help