Sponsored by:

Chassis Lift Point Pad - Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Chassis Lift Point Pad - Repair

It may be worth checking your front lift pads for broken welds ...
It has been difficult to locate and use the left front jack point/chassis lift point on my car as it was recessed slightly above the plastic body work. The first time a small jack was used vs a large floor jack or a hoist, I noticed the pad buckle and move ... not a good sign!
When inspected, it was clear that the primary spot welds holding the pad to the body had separated some time ago, and as a result, the pad was progressively collapsing on itself - so we repaired it today to be better than new. Due to the abysmal weld quality from manufacture, it may well worth checking yours too.
The repair involved getting the car on a hoist and then supporting the LF suspension with a transmission jack to allow the hoist arm to swing away. We then unbolted the plastic body parts and drilled out the remaining spot welds. With a vise, hammer (BFH ), and pry bars, the pad was restored to correct configuration and prepared for welding. Disconnecting the battery to protect the computers, we also hung heat shields over the aluminium AC lines and MIG'ed it back in place. With some rust protective paint to close the surgery, all plactic screwed back into place ... done!
Absolutely a relief to have this corrected, as we count on this piece to keep the car safely in the air ...
Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Pics?
Wish I had - but used a friends hoist as he had the xmission jack & MIG .... and the camera was left at home : Next time on my hoist, I can get a shot ...

The bracket is not as big as your fist - and is welded to a rounded front corner of the rocker panel just behind the front wheel: a pretty Mickey Mouse affair IMHO, for the rear tab is only 22 ga. metal.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:14 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
a pretty Mickey Mouse affair IMHO
They seem to hold up pretty well until a tow truck operator tries to drag your 964/993 onto a flatbed, with the winch hooked into the jacking points. Of course the next time you lift the car the jacking points fail.

Quick Reply: Chassis Lift Point Pad - Repair