Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacment (positive experience)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
macanswer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacment (positive experience)

I just got my windshield replaced by in independant shop in Chambersburg, PA. Cindy Rowe Auto Glass. They are a chain here in the PA area. The shop manager Kelvin Way did a great job. He heeded my warnings about not wanting the antenna wire cut and did an otherwise fine job on my car.

Sigla glass was used. I did not specify what type of glass I wanted although I was expecting to get American spec glass. To see OEM sigla going in was a surprise.

I waited with the car. install took about an hour, then Kelvin wanted it to sit an hour to cure. 3 days later there is no creaking from the windshield and the overall noise level in the car seems much quieter than I would have believed just eliminating the creaking windshield would accomplish.

Total cost $566. I just wanted to post a positive story about windshield replacement since there is so much hand-wringing about it in various posts. Yeah, I was nervous going in but it turned out ok and I'm now glad I did it.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:18 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macanswer
I just got my windshield replaced by in independant shop in Chambersburg, PA. Cindy Rowe Auto Glass. They are a chain here in the PA area. The shop manager Kelvin Way did a great job. He heeded my warnings about not wanting the antenna wire cut and did an otherwise fine job on my car.

Sigla glass was used. I did not specify what type of glass I wanted although I was expecting to get American spec glass. To see OEM sigla going in was a surprise.

I waited with the car. install took about an hour, then Kelvin wanted it to sit an hour to cure. 3 days later there is no creaking from the windshield and the overall noise level in the car seems much quieter than I would have believed just eliminating the creaking windshield would accomplish.

Total cost $566. I just wanted to post a positive story about windshield replacement since there is so much hand-wringing about it in various posts. Yeah, I was nervous going in but it turned out ok and I'm now glad I did it.
Glad to hear this!

Quick questions: When they put on the NEW outer gasket ...did it go 'to the same depth/level' into the paintwork as the original gasket or are there 'shortcomings'? Does the gasket 'fall in on itself' in parts? i.e. in areas where there are 'gasket-shortcomings' (if any) ...does the gasket stay straight or does it curl 'into' the 'frame gap'? Was your new outer gasket damaged during the install? (Did you check?)

TIA,
Gerry
Old 07-31-2006, 04:58 PM
macanswer
Advanced

The job did not include a new gasket. He re-used the old one which was in decent shape. I think I will probably order and install a new one myself, however, as I believe they are only about $20.

The appearance of the outer gasket all around the windshield is perfect. I did look it over pretty carefully before I left.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macanswer
The job did not include a new gasket. He re-used the old one which was in decent shape. I think I will probably order and install a new one myself, however, as I believe they are only about $20.

The appearance of the outer gasket all around the windshield is perfect. I did look it over pretty carefully before I left.
NO new gasket! ...oy! ...I was under the impression that the OEM (factory installed) gasket was so well glued/urethaned in ...that even if you were 'super careful' ...it would still rip.

Glad, again, that it turned out well for you.

G.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
macanswer
Advanced

Originally Posted by g_murray
NO new gasket! ...oy! ...I was under the impression that the OEM (factory installed) gasket was so well glued/urethaned in ...that even if you were 'super careful' ...it would still rip.
I'm not sure that is accurate but in any event my windshield had been replaced (badly) once before. Antenna wire spliced, windsheild creaked, etc..

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacment (positive experience)