Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Guides....Nightmare waiting to happen?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 02:44 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
A forecast of the future of auto repair in 5 years:

1. No more DIY repairs (beyond oil changes & light bulbs)
2. Less than half the present independent shops
3. Most 5-8 year old or more vehicles will be ready for
the junk yard (with the exception of a few classics),
e.g. some early Boxsters are approaching this just like the
mid-90s M/B.

The extensive use of complex and costly electronics is
the driving force for the above. This is already seen in
the resale values (low) for many older vehicles,
i.e. the non-classic types.
I believe you speak the truth. It's a real shame that so many mechanically competent cars will hit the junkyard due to some faulty minescule circuit board. In all my great car wisdom (tongue firmly planted in cheek), I think that many problems coming down the line for overly-computerized cars will be misdiagnosis of these computer problems which result in the car being scrapped. I think I read something about this starting to happen to some 928s. Don't quote me on that, but if it's true, what a shame. I'm gonna hate seeing what happens to the current line of BMWs!
Old 08-12-2006, 03:02 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
most independents can't afford to pay what dealers pay,
e.g. independents - $18-$22/hr, dealers - $30+/hr. So they
can't really attract the good guys.

And then there's the cost of the test equipment, a min of $10,000 plus.
Most independents can't justify this cost given the small volume of each type of
vehicle worked on. As an example, there're very few shops that are only Porsche now.

I totally agree,

By the way, porsche pay $30/hr. is that the salary they pay for a mechanic?

'97 Carrera S 100% original
Old 08-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting discussion going on now about independent shops. I think what Loren says is partially true. But I think the GOOD independent shops will stay around. The Porsche dealer where I live SUCKS, we get a constant stream of customers from them who are pissed off. The dealers have a whole warehouse full of parts so they would rather throw parts at the cars and keep trying that until the problem goes away. We don't have that luxury; we have to figure out exactly what the root of a problem is in order to fix it, and in turn that makes us more knowledgable about the cars. It is also a matter of reputation and pride. If we can't figure out what a problem is or mess something up, the whole reputation and livlihood of the shop is on the line. The dealer can just fire the tech and get a new one and keep going.

It is true that the cars are getting way more complicated. The newer BMW 7 series have about 100 different computers on board, on several different networks. Our tech who specializes more in BMWs spends many hours per week just reading up on all the newest stuff, it's not just replacing parts and setting timing anymore! Good discussion but I guess let's steer it back towards 993 valve guides and SAI and hopefully the mods won't delete this if they think I'm trying to advertise!

---

Chris

Quick Reply: Valve Guides....Nightmare waiting to happen?