Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet (1995) Top won't open: fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cabriolet (1995) Top won't open: fixes?

Without any warning, my 1995 Cabriolet's top won't open.

I pushed the down (open) switch, the top-in-motion light came on and I heard the motors make some effort, but then the top didn't open. I pushed the up (close) button and light didn't go out, either.

Somewhere I remember a discussion about how to manually open the top (okay, I remember that it is discussed in the owner's manual, but that's not the one I believe I'm rembering).

It even had pictures showing the related motors and gears and how to fix them.

I've searched here, looked at p-car's DIY section, looked at 993faq.com, with no success.

Anyone out there know of any online fixes for this?
Or should I just have a mechanic look at it?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:57 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh oh it maybe time for new cables . I just replace both and while at it change the rag top and enjoying summer . Actually changing the cables is easy DIY with this link http://p-car.com/diy/cabtop/
hope no rain in your forecast but you can just loosen the bolts on both side and lift the top manually
Old 07-30-2006, 07:53 AM
PDriver
Intermediate

Which motors did you heard? The latch motors in the front of the top or the lifter motor behind the rear seats? If the latch motors didn't reach their end positions the lifter motor do not
begin to move.

Did you notice the recall from Porsche for this latch motors?

PDriver
Old 07-30-2006, 01:12 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Originally Posted by PDriver
Which motors did you heard? The latch motors in the front of the top or the lifter motor behind the rear seats? If the latch motors didn't reach their end positions the lifter motor do not
begin to move.

Did you notice the recall from Porsche for this latch motors?

PDriver
My mechanic told me to call 1-800-POR-SCHE to ask if "all recalls had been performed for my vehicle <insert VIN here>", knowing that one of the recalls was the latch motor recall. Unfortunately, that's already been done.

I believe the motors I heard were the front ones.

briefescape, thanks for the link!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:53 PM
PDriver
Intermediate

When were the recall done? Isn't there a warranty for new parts?
Seems to me, that they installed the new motors not correct or didn't
realigned the top after installing.

PDriver
Old 07-30-2006, 02:57 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

briefescape,
you said that you changed your ragtop? how much work was it, I had heard you have to glue it to the front? did you take any pics? 1-10 how was it? (obvoiusly I need a new top)
Old 07-30-2006, 06:11 PM
chet
Instructor

When the motor won't come on (or comes on and then stops working and then works again the next time you try it) it may be cold solder joints in the top control unit. There is a thread on that somewhere.
When the back motor is working, but the top isn't moving, it's generally cables. If the front latch motor is running, but it isn't unlatching, I haven't run into that.
The front latch motor may have started to operate and then quit due to a faulty top control unit that sends the signal to the front latch motors. The back motor won't come on until the front is unlatched.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:21 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

A couple of years ago I had a probem with my top where when I pressed the switch to open or close it, nothing would happen. It turned out to be a cold solder joint in the control unit. I did a write up on how I fixed it. I don't know how to post the link so do a search on "problem solved". Have'nt had a problem since.

Good luck,

Shawn
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Originally Posted by swmic
A couple of years ago I had a probem with my top where when I pressed the switch to open or close it, nothing would happen. It turned out to be a cold solder joint in the control unit. I did a write up on how I fixed it. I don't know how to post the link so do a search on "problem solved". Have'nt had a problem since.

Good luck,

Shawn
Shawn, I clicked your name on the left to search all your old posts, and I found it here. Thanks!

Now if I could just figure out where the thing is located under the dash. Fixing it myself once I get access to it should be no problem. I've soldered a lot, being an ex-electrical engineer. And a $0 fix is rather attractive now.

Can you give me more information about where this thing is buried?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
stormy down
Advanced

PDriver's reply prompts me to ask... Has any curious person (curious, as in smart) drawn up a "simple" flowchart of the logic followed by the roof system? I've always wondered what the sequence was ever since I drove around with the roof warning light on even though the roof was securely latched in place (went away after the recall fix). I find these are priceless when it comes to troubleshooting.

Sorry to be "asking" not "helping". Good luck Jim.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 PM
pchak
Pro

I think I've got the flow somewhere, but I'll have to scan it, if I find it.

Shawn's expertise in this area really shines in his post, but to answer your question, if you're lying on your back in the driver footwell, with your head under the dash, you should see a silver control unit to the right of the steering col. Remove that, and the top control is attached there.

Last edited by pchak; 08-03-2006 at 03:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JimProuty
...Can you give me more information about where this thing is buried?
To add to the other comments, to get this out, you'll need to attach a 10mm socket to a universal joint to a screwdriver. Otherwise it's very difficult since you dont' have a straight shot.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:24 PM
JimProuty
Track Day

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
To add to the other comments, to get this out, you'll need to attach a 10mm socket to a universal joint to a screwdriver. Otherwise it's very difficult since you dont' have a straight shot.
Thanks, Eric!

With all these pointers, I'm going to owe everyone a beer!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 PM
burrow01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stormy down
PDriver's reply prompts me to ask... Has any curious person (curious, as in smart) drawn up a "simple" flowchart of the logic followed by the roof system? I've always wondered what the sequence was ever since I drove around with the roof warning light on even though the roof was securely latched in place (went away after the recall fix). I find these are priceless when it comes to troubleshooting.

Sorry to be "asking" not "helping". Good luck Jim.
Its around if you do a search - I've got a copy somewhere
Old 08-04-2006, 08:12 AM
burrow01
Intermediate

Can anyone confirm the part no of the Cab Control Unit?

I have bought one as a spare from EBay, part number is 993.641.330.00 is this the part that we are talking about?

cheers

Pete

Quick Reply: Cabriolet (1995) Top won't open: fixes?