Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I failed Suspension 101 miserably

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've just followed the same path as Bill (NC) on the same chassis as yours, albeit with 64K. The OE Monroes had no leakage, but three had lost their modest gas charge ( compressed shock would not re-extend), and all were unusually soft. It now drives like a Porsche ...
If the M030/H&R springs are not to your taste, the M033 ROW springs with matched monroes or HD's may present a reasonable comprimise.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was OK with the stock set up until I took the car to the track. It was very scary.

The scary might also be apparent at high speeds and hard street (hopefully deserted rural roads) driving.

If you are just cruising you may not notice the flacid suspention or ever need it.

I think the M033 might be the way to go...

Cheers
Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AGC... fwiw, put the ROW 030 system from Gert on my 993c4s (14k miles). Got the ride and look I was after.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
I still don't understand why Porsche used MONROE as the mfg instead of staying with Bilstein.
Only the 964RS, 993RS and the pre-964 turbos had Bilstein shocks. The regular 964 and the 911s prior came with Boge shocks like the early model 993s. The switch to Monroe was probably a cost-savings measure?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:13 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott watkins
AGC... fwiw, put the ROW 030 system from Gert on my 993c4s (14k miles). Got the ride and look I was after.
I would bet your shocks are shot.........It would be a shame to have such a cool car and not have the desire to set up the suspension. Not trying to be critical just my $.02 .........My first mod was PSS9s / RS Sway bars / lowered and alignment to RS specs. like driving a go-cart on rails
Old 07-27-2006, 12:07 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought my 50k mile shocks were fine too, until I replaced them and realized how much better the car drove. I replaced mine with Bilstein HDs & H&R springs. It's a pretty stiff ride, but I like it that way (DEs). For just street driving, I'd go with the stock ROW set-up.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The regular 964 and the 911s prior came with Boge shocks like the early model 993s. The switch to Monroe was probably a cost-savings measure?
I was getting ready to ask about the OEM shocks, as the factory originals on my 993 were Boge. Now I can sleep better

Andreas
Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
it is posts like that one that make me want to upgrade suspension as well...but i can't fix something that ain't broke...to be completely honest, i was pretty disappointed when my mechanic told me i would never wear out my suspension doing what i do (highway driving usually under 90 mpnh)...maybe after the next 100k miles they'll start to leak ;-)
Yeah, ~my dealership mechanic~ also told me last fall that my suspension was fine at 25K miles. However, I decided I wanted a more planted and tighter feel and opted for the MO30 and Bilstein HD (and sways). When I removed mine, I found that one was serious leaking and another one slightly leaking (see picture below). I don't put much stock in him anymore.

Following my install, the handling and ride of the car is far better.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
AGC
Racer

Based on everyones response, I think I will be getting new suspension; the question now is which set up to get

1. I don't track the car
2. It's just a weekend driver

Lastly who should I trust with my car
1. PowerTech (Independent P-car service in NJ)
2. Jack Daniels Porsche (authorized P-car dealership)
Old 07-27-2006, 10:15 AM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Where can I go to upgrade suspension??

'sMy porsche dealership recommended not to change and has not performed the upgrade so I live 1.5 hours north of Boston on the coast of Maine. Can anyone recommend someone reputable to install PSS9's and the alignment(s) that are required afterwards.

Roland
Old 07-27-2006, 11:43 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm starting to hear different views or issues about PSS9 as far as not being reliable or it's too much for the street. Can folks comment about it?

I myself don't track my car so I thought PSS9s would be a overkill so I went with the Bilstein HDs and M030 ROW Springs, which I think is a great setup and I can still tryout a DE or Autocross if I ever have the urge to.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I am way biased as I HAVE PSS9's........yes I have heard the reliability issues.....but wait to see........I have only been to an AutoX this year but next year intend to do the HPDC at Summit and then do DEs.......so the ability to swop back and forwards from road to track set up in under 15 minutes is great ...... apart from that its just fun to play with set ups......my ride height is 25 inches at rear fender and I have 18" wheels.....I have tried a number of settings on the PSS9s and really like 4 all round for everyday but sometimes dial back to 6-7.....I will use 1/2 for track....this flexibility is what I like.....now ask me can if I tell the difference between 4 and 7 and the answer is most of the time no, but in certain conditions and cornering ... sure!!! Going through the same turns on my way to and from work everyday gives me the ref points to be able to set up the 9's differently and then take the bend I am used to .... looking for differneces.......BS911 will know the roads I paly on
Old 07-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
I'm starting to hear different views or issues about PSS9 as far as not being reliable or it's too much for the street. Can folks comment about it?

I myself don't track my car so I thought PSS9s would be a overkill so I went with the Bilstein HDs and M030 ROW Springs, which I think is a great setup and I can still tryout a DE or Autocross if I ever have the urge to.
Scott,

I had PSS-9's for about a year and had one of my ***** start to spin freely, indicating the shock was blown. It was fixed by Bilstein/Steve Weiner under warranty, but that was enough for me to justify getting Motons, which I've been very happy with and, to date, have had no issues at all, other than my own personal challenges with proper compression, rebound and nitrogen settings.

Many others, however, have had zero issues with their PSS-9's. If I were on a stricter budget, I would consider the JIC's.

Your Bilstein HD's are great shocks. If you want to ever make adjustments, you might want to get the RS sways or the less expensive TRG sways.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC. I would strongly suggest to change your OEM suspension set up. If not PSS-9 s go with Bilstein HDs with ROW springs... Gert has them. You will be surprised as how your ride will be transformed - even if you don't drive like Mario A. A Toyota Camry with bad/soft suspension parts is unsafe let alone a TT P-car. Porsche made 911s as a true super sports car and that is, I believe, attaracted many to it.

I would go with power tech. they do good work there. Speak with Mike.

George
Old 07-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

AC
Got the ROW M030 Bilsteins and sways from Gert recently. Love it.

The car drives, and looks, great.

And now that all these professors have instructed you, isn't time you paid your tuition?

Membership is the best 20 bucks you'll ever spend on your car.

Quick Reply: I failed Suspension 101 miserably