Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many times has the immobilizer left you stranded?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:47 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
Go out and try your door with the key again, mine took a little back and forth before it worked, probably cause we never use them with the key. I bet with the alarm going off and all that adrenalin pumping... just give it another try, it should work. Try both keys also.
D
Old 07-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! You're right. The freakin' door DID just open as soon as I locked the door with the key, opened the door with key, yes - the alarm went off but the door DID open! Then I used the immobilizer to shut off the alarm. I must have been so upset yesterday that the alarm was going off I forgot to try the door right away. Or, I waited too long to try the door and it was just locked shut in some immobilizing way.

Holy crap, Batman. I feel like a real moron now.

Steve
Old 07-25-2006, 04:18 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by higginsbeach
Thanks for saving me a trip. Any idea on how to get a spare immobilizer?

best regards,

Roland
Getting a spare is the easy part . Call Sunset or any other porsche dealer.

Getting it programmed is the hard part..very hard..
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Steve,
In the heat of the moment these things happen. BUT, aren't you one happy camper now?
Old 07-25-2006, 04:29 PM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks Andrew

So now you can get in with the alarm going off if you have a key or spare. Just need the imm to stop the alarm or god forbid, the secret code..........

Conflicting viewpoints on the dealer involvment. Is is easy or difficult for them to program.

Since I am not a PCA member, I guess I am going to pay full price. I will call my local P Dealer and find out.

Roland
Old 07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Concerning getting a spare immobilizer (switchblade key w/ flush immobilizer button on it...hereafter referred to as immobilizer): Part of the deal when I bought my car, was that the PO had to provide me with a spare immobilizer. He ordered it from the dealer...I'm assuming he had to provide them with proof of ownership, codes, etc., and it was shipped to me about 2 weeks later. When i received it, it had to be programmed for the car. The dealer wanted about $135 to do this...which MAY be cheap when you consider that ALL (even the existing one) immobilizers must be "memory cleared" in the process of programming the new one. I decided to do the programming myself using the Owner's Manual. I followed the VERY detailed procedure exactly and it worked fine. I now have (2) immobilizers and they both work.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by higginsbeach
So now you can get in with the alarm going off if you have a key or spare. Just need the imm to stop the alarm or god forbid, the secret code..........

Conflicting viewpoints on the dealer involvment. Is is easy or difficult for them to program.

Since I am not a PCA member, I guess I am going to pay full price. I will call my local P Dealer and find out.

Roland
Getting the code from the dealer is the easy. Simply provide them with your registration and they will give you your 4 number code.

Programming it is the fun part. It is detailed in your user manual. Do a search and you will find tons of info' on the 'immobilizer dance'.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 PM
porschista
2nd Gear

If I remember correctly, the workshop manual explains that in order to open the door with only the key while the alarm is going off you must turn the key and hold it in the turned position while you pull the door handle.

If you just turn the key and let it return to the vertical position before pulling on the door handle, the immobilizer with lock the car again.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
dmm993
Advanced

Hi!

I have been lurking here for a few weeks and have learned so much from these forums. Thanks!

Late last month, after months of searching, I purchased my very first Porsche, a 1996 993 Coupe, Guards Red with black interior. It passed its PPI with no issues whatsoever, and has been everything I dreamed it would be, and much, much more!

One minor concern: It only came with one immobilizer key, so I ordered a replacement one from my local dealer. Now the fun part comes...programming it to work with my 993. I have read as much info as I could find, here and elsewhere, but am still a little bit confused. My big question is, where do I find my 4-digit key card code? Is this the same 4-digit number that is on the "Radio Code Card" which came with my owner's manuals? My owner's manual referenced that it would be "in a box", but I did not receive any boxes with my 993. I assume it is not the Porsche Service parts box in which the replacement immobilizer came in?

Do I have any other options, without this number, to getting my new immobilizer key programmed correctly? Also, just out of curiosity, is programming the immobilizer something that a dealer would typically do, when purchasing the replacement immobilizer part?

Thanks!

-Dave
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I change the batteries in both my immobilizers every year on my birthday. Probably a little excessive but it is peace of mind. Even with new batteries, I have to be within a few feet of the car for them to work.
chuck
Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 PM
whidbey
Instructor

My big question is, where do I find my 4-digit key card code?
Your'e local dealer should have the code.

The owner's manual contains the instructions to program the remote.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ote+programing

Last edited by whidbey; 07-14-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

That switchblade key is so poorly made! When I went to test drive the '96 I am interested in, the key was already broken. So what to most people do? Do you keep the switchblade key or do you convert to the lighted key and fob?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:00 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the 4-digit code, you can also disable the immobilizer by following the procedure to turn the lock cylinder in the driver's door the proper number of times. This is a hedge against your battery going dead. Should be in the owner's manual.

I can't remember how to do it, exactly, but basically, if your code is 3212, the red LED flashes, you turn the key 3 times, pause, it flashes, you turn it two times, pause ... etc. etc.

It's a PITA but probably better than calling an irritated spouse :-)
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Other than some fairly comical confusion due to failure on my part to RTFM when I first got the car, mine has never caused me trouble.

I treat immobilizer battery replacement as a once-per-year maintenance item. I think maintaining a fresh battery in the immobilizer goes a long way toward preventing problems/failures.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
If you have the 4-digit code, you can also disable the immobilizer by following the procedure to turn the lock cylinder in the driver's door the proper number of times. This is a hedge against your battery going dead. Should be in the owner's manual.

I can't remember how to do it, exactly, but basically, if your code is 3212, the red LED flashes, you turn the key 3 times, pause, it flashes, you turn it two times, pause ... etc. etc.

It's a PITA but probably better than calling an irritated spouse :-)
The code is provided in your owner's information along with the owner's manual etc. It is on a card similar to the radio code card. If the card/code is lost, then you can get the code from a stealer (for a price).

Quick Reply: How many times has the immobilizer left you stranded?