Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How many times has the immobilizer left you stranded?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were at an end of season kid soccer party one afternoon. My son hasn't learned to swim very good yet. He was holding on to a floaty and slipped off. I immediately jumped in to get him.

When I got out I realized I had my switchblade in my pocket.
Latter when we went to leave the remote unlock would not work. No big deal, just open with the key. Wrong. Alarm.

Asked our host for a small screwdriver to open the switchblade. The battery had rusty looking slime stuff on the ends. I guess the salt water pool and battery didn't get along. Wiped the battery down and the host brought out a hairdryer. We dried the innards out, replaced the battery and wala, it worked.

I think I still have that battery in it.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have (2) switchblade keys. I use one and keep the other in the trunk. I figure if the one I use dies, I can open the car, unlatch the trunk, and use the other one. I guess now I'm hearing from you guys that I will have to listen to the alarm while I get the 2nd key from the trunk...

BTW...when the alarm is going off...do you just press the button on the switchblade to make it stop???
Old 07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Radio Shack today, picking up 2 batteries and will carry the spare switchblade in the trunk! Don't want to have this happen to me.
Drew
97 C4S
86 930
89 C4 (missed)
Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
there is an overrider switch in the glove box!?

my car has little plugs over the door locks so i would never even consider locking the car with the key (i'd have to pry those plugs off first and i am not sure what is behind them anyway...)
From what I understand, yes in the glove box-at least in mine. My stereo guy has seen them under the dash before but couldnt locate one in mine. My car has a lot of gadget stuff in it and I need to have it gone through and figure out exactally what everything does and how it relates to this and that. Kinda like if this happens do this and if that doesnt work, do this. Kinda like a list of "What would God do" if this happened because I can picture something happening in the middle of no where down the road.

Batteries can be bought about anywhere-got my last ones at Target.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread. I have an extra switchblade too, that I'll position for this inevitable tragedy.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Spare Immobilizer

Did a search could not find anything. Went to Robin's site, revised remote not quite on point. So my question for assistance is.........

How do you get a spare immobilizer??? I have a spare key but not an extra immobillzer. I have had no issues yet, but fear I will screw up and wish I had one.

Thanks for any help.

Roland
Old 07-25-2006, 02:21 PM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Default Steve...

How does the spare key stop the alarm instead of the one you had in the gym. A little confused. I am assuming that ONLY the immobilizer can stop the alarm??

Roland
Old 07-25-2006, 02:32 PM
AndrewM
Pro

I think he left the remote part at home and just took the key.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

higgensbeach: The alarm goes off after many, many, depressing, heartwrenching minutes. Then, hopefully you are near your house where a loved one can venture out of their creature comfort, hunt your as* down where you're stranded, give you the spare immobilizer you better have somewhere in your house, and only then can you open the door. You cannot to my knowledge ever open that door unless you have the immobilizer. Your key, your spare key, your best friend's key, your car thief buddy's key won't get you in!

If you don't have an extra immobilizer somewhere in your home, as far as I know, you're screwed. Why did you guys say you're going to put a spare key in your trunk? From my understanding, if you're stuck with your immobilizer not working due to a bad battery in it, or it's just dead for some reason, or like me, stupidly locked IN the car with you only holding your key, you're also screwed. You can't get INTO the trunk as you can't get into your car. Isn't the only way to get into the trunk is to get into your car and pull the latch? If your immobilizer is gone, your key can't get you into the car which can't get you into the trunk.

So... any early 95's available for sale without the immobilizer? Just kidding of course. I need those key hole plugs from the bumperplug guy so I am never tempted to make this mistake again! Time to make a call to that guy. I don't ever want to forget, 2 years from now, that locking the car with the key instead of the immobilizer will be a bad decision if I don't have the immobilizer with me!

DoorPlugs™
$13.95 each

Why leave that silver keyhole circle on the door handle? Cover it with our factory-finished, precisely color matched door plug. Designed specifically to cover the keyhole securely, matching the door handle, and easily removed in case of emergency. When was the last time you used your door key? Removable and reusable. Designed for current model Porsches, these will fit other makes and models with minor modifications.
http://www.bumperplugs.com/

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 07-25-2006, 02:48 PM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Default Steve, your too funny

Thanks for the laughs. Sorry to hear about your frustrations so I am taking your heartaches and making sure it doesn't happen to me. I love these boards.

I thought there was no way to get inside of the car IF LOCKED unless you have the immobilizer. You have confirmed that for me and I thank you.

The plugs is a good idea but I really want to get a SPARE imm. Do you know how i can go about getting one. I am reading off the back of mine as I am writing and it does have some type of Canade id.

Roland
Old 07-25-2006, 02:48 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Steve,
Wait a minute, are you saying that the key, by itself will not open the door? It should, I know the alarm will go off, but that would only be for a very short time since your activiating your spare immobilizer that you left in your trunk. Now if you lock the immobilzer along with the key in the car, then yes, your screwed.
Drew
Old 07-25-2006, 02:53 PM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Default I'm going to................

A very remote part of town and test out your theory, obviously with the immobilizer in my hand.

Roland
Old 07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Roland,
Save yourself the trip. Just went outside, unlocked the driver's door with the key, yes the alarm did go off which was promptly turned off with the immobizer.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Andrew: Yes, that is what I am saying. The door would not open as the alarm was going off. The immobilizer was under the floor mat, just 2 feet away inside the car, but alas to no avail. Maybe my car is not functioning correctly? I turned the key to open it, the alarm went off, but the door would not open.

Ok, so I just called Tischer Porsche in Silver Spring MD near my house for you and the remote control (NOT the switchblade key but that separate remote immobilizer door opener and closer) is:

Part #99363704902 $169.28 but they'll give 20% off for the PCA discount (they only offered 10% off at first, I had to complain that I thought it used to be more like 15% or 20%!) and then they caved -

This brings the price down to $135.42. They said the service dept has to program it to your car which takes all of a minute or so, so they say.

Hope this helps!
Steve R
Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Default Andrew

Thanks for saving me a trip. Any idea on how to get a spare immobilizer?

best regards,

Roland

Quick Reply: How many times has the immobilizer left you stranded?