Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Height Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:06 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 433 Posts

I suspect that most P-dealers don't have the facilities to corner balance and most independants don't have the kinematic toe equipment, so you may have a two step process. For the couple hundred that it costs to do the CB, it sure seemed worth it to me to get it done right the first time rather than later wishing that I had.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:13 AM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK- Here are the exact measurements (fender height):

Right Front: 25 15/16"
Right Rear: 25 5/8"
Left Front: 25 1/16"
Left Rear: 25 11/16"

So, I'm not sure on the conversion to mm, but I think that I have a little more room to go. No?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

jhale -

Although fender heights can be a fun/easy way to compare ride heights, they aren't worth very much when we are talking particulars. There are a lot of tolerances that buildup and can effect the fender height measurements.** Therefore, you are really going to need to laydown next to the car and measure the Porsche reference points to get a "true" gauge of where you are sitting.

**Although fender heights aren't the best way to measure ride height to the nth degree, they do give us a ballpark. In your numbers, I see issues.

Right Front: 25 15/16"
Left Front: 25 1/16"

Right Rear: 25 5/8"
Left Rear: 25 11/16"

From a cross-car perspective, your fronts are nearly an inch different (14/16"). That is way too much, especially before corner balancing. The rears are much better.

From a fore-aft perspective, it looks like if the LF was raised to the RF height, you would have the proper profile with the fronts being about 1/4" higher than the rears.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:32 AM
jhale
Pro

Jeff, sorry typo. the front's are identical at 25 15/16. The only different measurement i could find was the rears. I realize the fender height measurement is not the best approach but this is all I had time for. Hopefully this weekend I'll have it all sqaured away.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:46 PM
rampfar
Instructor

Jeff.....when you speak of ride height measured form fender.....where on the fender/body???? I have 95 993. Thanks Roger
Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Roger -

As mentioned in my PM, this measurement varies a bit, but generally it is taken from the ground, through the centerline of the wheel to the tangent point where the fender measures the measuring tape.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
....... this measurement varies a bit, but generally it is taken from the ground, through the centerline of the wheel to the tangent point where the fender measures the measuring tape.
Still a little confusing ... sorry Do you mean where the vertical tape/ruler meets the external fold on the fender?
What I have been doing is standing a yard stick against the fender vertically through the wheel centerline: then, slide a small straight edge held at right angles to the ruler upwards until it contacts the innermost edge of the rolled under fender lip. This indicates the measure to be recorded.
The readings would be ~1/2" greater if taken where the external contact is made to the 'visible' edge of the fender fold.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
rampfar
Instructor

Thanks to all for fender measuring.....Roger
Old 08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Garth S
Still a little confusing ... sorry Do you mean where the vertical tape/ruler meets the external fold on the fender?
What I have been doing is standing a yard stick against the fender vertically through the wheel centerline: then, slide a small straight edge held at right angles to the ruler upwards until it contacts the innermost edge of the rolled under fender lip. This indicates the measure to be recorded.
The readings would be ~1/2" greater if taken where the external contact is made to the 'visible' edge of the fender fold.
Yes, I meant where the external fold of the fender touches the tape measure.

However, the way you did it (essentially measuring the underside lip of the fender) is also done by many here.

......See why all of these noted fender heights are not that illustrative of what your "real" ride height is.....
Old 08-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Bogwan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if these will help, but here are a few photo's from my ride hight gallery(more at link below). I was shooting for just below ROW.
Attached Images     
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg where do you get that special metric masking tape?

Last edited by Jack of Hearts; 08-07-2006 at 08:15 PM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: Ride Height Question