Sponsored by:

OMG!! New Porsche GT1 to challenge Corvette/AM

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
What $500,000 street counterpart???? The patent (yes, European) is based on THE CAYMAN, with a flat 8 engine...NOT the CGT with a V10. Autocar (British weekly) carried the patent drawing. It was Autoweek, in their desire to sell magazines, who dressed the drawing up like a CGT based vehicle.

Think Cayman RS, like the GT3 RS today.

So what is the over kill, or do you see the Cayman as being that much better than the Corvette? Your "point" is erroneous!
Well, my point wouldn't make any sense if this GT1 is based on the Cayman, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Read the article linked above:

"The new, as yet unnamed model boasts design elements from the discontinued Carrera GT. Engine plans remain under wraps, but the car will likely use an improved version of the Carrera GT’s high-revving, 5.8-liter V10, mated to a new double-clutch gearbox."

Or read this article:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/newm...omotive/28090/
"The core of the new car is the Carrera GT’s carbon fiber chassis, fitted with modified nose and tail structures. The interior is also based closely on the Carrera’s distinctive dashboard and center console."

The car seems to be based on the C-GT, not the cayman.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Elistan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an interesting datapoint: Road & Track did a comparison of a street stock CGT and a Le Mans spec 911 GT3 race car (I don't remember which team's.) While both cars had similar rates of acceleration, the GT3 was significantly faster around a race track. And the Corvette and Aston Martin GT1 cars are significantly faster than the Porsche GT2 class cars... So comparing a CGT street car to a GT1 Corvette is completely meaningless.

However, comparing a CGT based GT1 race car to a C6 based GT1 race car is certainly worthwhile. Race teams usually don't give out cost information, but I would suspect that the final numbers are likely to be similar - this isn't a $70k to $450k street car comparison, this is a $1million to $1million race car comparison.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:18 PM
hawk993
Racer

Mark your
Blame it on the Asians...

Or better yet, the "blacks".
that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted here and inflamatory...WTF
Old 07-18-2006, 02:23 PM
hawk993
Racer

TheOtherEric..You're point makes no sense, look back at the 911 GT1 of the past, the street legal production car was an awesome car and it was $1,000,000 and I would say the 911 GT1 is above the GT1 class of today, apples and oranges, Mercedes GT1 at that time too, those were awesome machines and they did have production versions made available to buy, it was a requirement.

Your points are making no sense, you need to watch some racing dude.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Well, my point wouldn't make any sense if this GT1 is based on the Cayman, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Read the article linked above:

"The new, as yet unnamed model boasts design elements from the discontinued Carrera GT. Engine plans remain under wraps, but the car will likely use an improved version of the Carrera GT’s high-revving, 5.8-liter V10, mated to a new double-clutch gearbox."

Or read this article:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/newm...omotive/28090/
"The core of the new car is the Carrera GT’s carbon fiber chassis, fitted with modified nose and tail structures. The interior is also based closely on the Carrera’s distinctive dashboard and center console."

The car seems to be based on the C-GT, not the cayman.
I have read those articles, which are all based on the same erroneous source. If you look at the information I posted above about the actual patent and drawing, taken from an article written by one who has viewed both and discussed it with Porsche AG, and published in Panorama, you will see it is the Cayman. The design includes a flat-eight engine, no V10, etc. The patent drawing has no "interior" as reported above. The pictures floating around the Internet are the result of Autoweeks Art Department, who likely decided to use stock CGT interior shots to make their life easy and the story believable. The CAR isn't based on the CGT, the ARTISTS RENDERING is.

BTW, didn't Cheby try to run Corvettes based on the stock $80k car in the GT2 catagory and ended up having their asses handed to them????? Ergo the tube frame GT1 car that even Generous Motors admits cost well in excess of $1M each.

But, Autoweek knows how to sell magazines and I'm sure it is more exciting for some to go with that story.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk993

that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted here and inflamatory...WTF

Actually, JustAnotherRed993 and I are running neck and neck. My comment is meant as a total, tongue-in-cheek joke. Here, read this thread and catch up a bit. Realize that JustAnotherRed993 deleted his posts so you'll have to read between the lines.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/286432-bizzare-murcielago-accident-eye-witness-and-pics.html

Oh, and just so you know, I'm Asian. And some of my best friends are black. Really.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Actually, JustAnotherRed993 and I are running neck and neck. My comment is meant as a total, tongue-in-cheek joke. Here, read this thread and catch up a bit. Realize that JustAnotherRed993 deleted his posts so you'll have to read between the lines.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286432

Oh, and just so you know, I'm Asian. And some of my best friends are black. Really.
And his dog is Black, but German........
Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hawk,
Look at the lambo post on the 993 board and it might make more sense. mark is just being silly.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Well no crap. But similarly, the Porsche GT1 won't have much resemblance to its $500,000 street counterpart. Ok, so tack on a few hundred $thous to each, but the comparison is still the same. Anyway my point is that it takes Porsche overkill to compete with something they should IMHO have no problem competing with.
You are the one that mentioned a $60k corvette and that Porsche would have to spend $500k to be competitive....
The rest of your posts make zero sense to me.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 PM
hawk993
Racer

Actually I was just reading that BS in the thread, I was reading the thread to find out about the accident and look at the pics of some cool cars and then all these racist comments started flying, totally uncalled for and adding no value to the thread, just dividing fellow Rennlist brothers and sisters among racist lines for the sake of stirring crap up. So I say again, even in jest...comments like that are out of line and do nothing but cause division among fellow Rennlisters and comments like that are ignorant. Also, I don't care what race or gender anyone is in here. I read these articles based on equality of Rennlist members, no need for us to draw lines in the sand or put walls around us, we should all be Porsche enthusiast, sharing opinions, ideas, pictures and friendship, regardless of race or gender...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:58 PM
hawk993
Racer

and btw, I'm off the soap box, just hate to see that stuff happening, I couldn't even finish the Lambo article with all those comments flying around...hate to see the division, although I know I have made strong comments/opinions myself at times, I never go down that race road...most of mine are about the cars, racing, Porsche, DE and sometimes just putting my foot in my mouth since it seems to fit so well...
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk993
Actually I was just reading that BS in the thread, I was reading the thread to find out about the accident and look at the pics of some cool cars and then all these racist comments started flying, totally uncalled for and adding no value to the thread, just dividing fellow Rennlist brothers and sisters among racist lines for the sake of stirring crap up. So I say again, even in jest...comments like that are out of line and do nothing but cause division among fellow Rennlisters and comments like that are ignorant. Also, I don't care what race or gender anyone is in here. I read these articles based on equality of Rennlist members, no need for us to draw lines in the sand or put walls around us, we should all be Porsche enthusiast, sharing opinions, ideas, pictures and friendship, regardless of race or gender...
Calm down. It's a joke.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:08 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Calm down. It's a joke.
I got it I actually laughed out loud.

Back to the thread at hand... I heard while watching last weekend's Salt Lake ALMS race, the Corvette has been "handicapped" a bit... forced to add 200lbs to slow them down and make others more able to compete.
Should be interesting to see if (assuming the story is true) Porsche raises the bar in GT1. Could be exciting!
Old 07-18-2006, 05:44 PM
leo993
Advanced

Several of the Corvette drivers have expressed their dissatisfaction with the restrictions on their cars.
They feel that the playing field has become uneven, and not in their favor.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
And his dog is Black, but German........
Hey...I resent that...I'm a black dog!!!

(Not sure if you saw the Far Side cartoon. that showed 2 dogs sitting at a PC and the one says "You know, the best thing about the Internet is that noone knows you're a dog!")
Old 07-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to offend Corvette owners ( some of my best friends have Corvettes ) but I hope Porsche kicks Vette tail! Not that there is anything wrong with tails... I am tired of watching Porsche relegated to the "second tier" of auto racing as in LMP2 and GT2,3. Not that there is anything wrong with these classes or with the cars racing in those classes. So even though I am a bit skeptical I hope its true!

Quick Reply: OMG!! New Porsche GT1 to challenge Corvette/AM