993 Forum 1995-1998

ScanTool engine results for 95 OBD 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:01 PM
DougB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray,

I think I'm looking at a different version of the ECU/EPROM then what you have in your car. Mine is:

'99361812302'
'0261203163'

What you are seeing at 0x3e looks proper for the base injection time/load signal in microseconds if you multiply it by 50. That would go along with what I see in the version I'm looking at.

0x3f is a 2 byte value hince the UINT16 part at the end of the description. The 2 bytes at 0x3f are divided by 25 and placed in 0x3e as the low-resolution load value.

You asked:
"I listed values per RPM for all Inputs in the .doc file. I can't change where these values come from,right?"

If you're referring to the INPUTS screen, no you can't. The inputs are the actual analog inputs to the ECU and they're defined as channels 1..16 or 0..15 if you prefer. 1..8 on the 964. What you get from the inputs on the 964 are raw analog to digital converter counts (0-255)--sometimes you can transform these numbers into something meaningful to look at but they really just represent voltage.

Yes the (n-0x68) in the ignition stuff is the value 0x68 not the location. It'd be cool if you could specify a location though!

I'll see if I can track down the ignition timing location for you. It is possible that even though I have a different version of the EPROM, the locations are the same.

Once again, cool stuff.

-doug
Old 07-15-2006, 04:13 PM
raycm
Instructor

I'm back. I'll setup scantool.cfg and report results. Maybe an hour or so from now.

Yes the (n-0x68) in the ignition stuff is the value 0x68 not the location. It'd be cool if you could specify a location though!
Whynot subtract 104? I'm looking to understand this.
I have a hardware background, please keep in mind, not picking on your stuff.
If I new what ignition specific values the dme reports I could hunt through memory.

Just in case here is the scantool.cfg for dme for the #1 post of this thread.

[Motronic]
address=16
baudRate=9600

Input.1=Throttle Angle:;(n-26)*42;##.##°
Input.2=Battery:;(n*682)/100;##.## Volts
Input.3=Always 0:
Input.4=SignalHeating?:
Input.5=Ref Mk ?:
Input.6=Always 0:
Input.7=Ig Tme Chng?:;n*1;#.#°
Input.8=TR ?:

Switch.1=?:
Switch.2=?:

Actual Value.Battery (V)=0x36;(n*682)/100;##.## Volts
Actual Value.IATS Int Air Temp 0-40 (°C)=0x37;((((n*115)/100)-26)-32)*5/9;###°
Actual Value.ECTS Cyl Head Temp 0-100 (°C)=0x38;((((n*115)/100)-26)-32)*5/9;###°
Actual Value.Engine Speed 800 idle=0x39;n*40;#### rpm
Actual Value.Ignition Timing ?=0x3a;n*1;###.#°
Actual Value.H02S Oxygen Sensor 150-900?=0x3b;n*1;#### mV
Actual Value.MAF Sensor?=0x43;((n*500)/255);#.## Volts
Actual Value.Load?=0x59;n*1;###.## ms
Actual Value.Injection Time?=0x41;n*5;###.## ms
Actual Value.IACV count?=0xa9

Ray
Old 07-15-2006, 04:18 PM
raycm
Instructor

I think I'm looking at a different version of the ECU/EPROM then what you have in your car. Mine is:

'99361812302'
'0261203163'
-----------------------------------
'99361812303'
'0261203674'
Looks like I have next later level.

Ray
Old 07-15-2006, 05:25 PM
raycm
Instructor

Here is results of Actual Values changes for MAF, Injection Time, Inj based load. And I changed Input names. For Inputs I varied CCU *****. I'll go through results to correlate readings. Then post results. And I didn't put the INPUTS where they belong cause I don't know. :-)
Below and attached are the Actual Value changes at 0,800,2000, 3000, 0 RPM.
NOTE: I had cfg list the base decimal values so we don't have misunderstanding of whats displayed.
This listing is for test/debug purposes.

Input.3=Always 0:
Input.4=SigHeat HS?:
Input.5=Ref Mk TR ?:
Input.6=Always 0:
Input.8=FS ?:

Switch.1=?:
Switch.2=?:

Actual Value.Battery (V)=0x36;(n*682)/100;##.## Volts
Actual Value.IATS Int Air Temp 0-40 (°C)=0x37;((((n*115)/100)-26)-32)*5/9;###°
Actual Value.ECTS Cyl Head Temp 0-100 (°C)=0x38;((((n*115)/100)-26)-32)*5/9;###°
Actual Value.Engine Speed 800 idle=0x39;n*40;#### rpm
Actual Value.Ignition Timing ?=0x3a;n*1;###.#°
Actual Value.H02S Oxygen Sensor 150-900?=0x3b;n*1;#### mV
Actual Value.MAF Sensor = 0x47;((n*500)/255);#.## Volts
Actual Value.Load?=0x59;n*1;###.## ms
Actual Value.Base Injection time=0x3f;;##.### ms;UINT16
Actual Value.Base Injection 0x03f=0x3f
Actual Value.Base Inj LOAD 0x03e=0x3e

Ray

PS: I'll need to go back and delete attachments soon. Too much usage.

Last edited by raycm; 08-20-2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: my attach size limit.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:32 PM
raycm
Instructor

Originally Posted by SMF
Ray,
i will answer with question.... my favorite one... how did you connect to obd1 . Is it hammer? Looks like computer screen.
thx
Marcin
Hi,

'1995 OBD1 Diag tool'
Search for that thread, this 993 forum.

Ray
Old 07-15-2006, 05:41 PM
raycm
Instructor

Originally Posted by pncarrerars
For those of you looking to cure stalling problems with lwf.

On my 964 I have been trying the new adaption feature. The adaption figure is nearly always 128 so it looks like nothing happened but by loading the engine during adaption (lights or slip clutch in gear) it comes out at 134. A usefully feature about this for people suffering stalling with light flywheels is that this causes a higher initial idle (about 1100) before settling down to 880 which would probably help cure any stalling problems.

Pete
Pete,

Does 993 DME support this function? Basic Trim and Basic Adaption settings?
Next to find out if Scantool's 964 adaption program also works on 993.

Ray
Old 07-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Does 993 DME support this function? Basic Trim and Basic Adaption settings?"

No, at least not via the PST2. The early 993 has a mixture setting function, but only
for Euro versions without an O2 sensor. The later OBDII 993 has no functionality
thru the tester for adaptation, basically because of ODBII requirements and because
the of the self adaptation functions of TRA/FRA.

The key and most useful feature of the PST2 is the drive link feature, which allows
one to drive ECU outputs; e.g. DME injectors, CCU servo motors & fans speeds.
One of the most important elements in troubleshooting.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:05 PM
raycm
Instructor

Loren, thanks for the responses. No Trim or Adaption functions. I investigated the INPUTS HS, & TR. It doesn't appear I can detect heater temperature. TR, REF Mark. Perhaps INPUT 5 is it. This is the flywheel once per revolution sensor? Then the value will follow RPM. FS, probably I'll be able to force low fuel and look for corresponding change in some value. Not an exciting item, low fuel.

Ignition Timing Change. 4.0 to 6.4 degrees for 800 to 3000 RPM. Are these values close/correct?
Ignition Timing. I have 8 to 25.5 degrees. Are these values close/correct? (Actual Value item)

I don't know what INPUTS 4 & 8 are reporting about.
Input 4 decreases with engine temp. 183 to 14. These are raw memory numbers.
Input 8 increases with heater temp & RPM. 93 @ 0 RPM. Varies between 15 & 156 @ 800 to 3000.

The discussion on vehicle speed. The left front wheel sensor, speed signal/speedometer is input to DME and the manual says it is available in Actual Values. And I haven't found it.

I see no reference to MAP in 993.

Ray
Old 07-16-2006, 06:46 PM
DougB
Advanced

Ray,

I have a proper version of your ECU's EPROM now.

input.4 is indeed the engine temp sensor. 0-5 volts I believe.
input.5 is the MAF. Also 0-5 volts.

I'm thinking input.8 may be the 02 sensor but I'm not 100%. There's a dialog called "Fuel Trim" that will show you the 02 sensor signal on a bar graph but it's currently looking at the wrong input channel for the 993. I'm going to come up with another version of the software that will let you select the proper channel for the o2 sensor so that the graph will work properly.

Also, have you tried the output test feature? Have you looked at the "Trouble Codes" file? Note that in the "Trouble Codes" file each section is headed with something like [M00]--you would need to add an [M06] to define trouble codes for your ECU.

On a side note, I've heard that the late '95s changed from the round connector to the ODB2 style. Is there any knowledge of an ECU change along with the connector change?

-doug
Old 07-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

:I investigated the INPUTS HS, & TR. It doesn't appear I can detect heater temperature. TR, REF Mark. Perhaps INPUT 5 is it. This is the flywheel once per revolution sensor? Then the value will follow RPM."

As mentioned before, all these three are just states and are not reported as values.
All three are basically useless. The HS shows a switch closure when the temp ****
is fully CCW and then opens when slightly turned CW.

The RPM sensor switch is a complete waste as it only shows a symbol for a square
wave when the engine is running, i.e. it can't even be used in the no-start condition
because the PST2 loses comm with the DME as the ignition switch is turned on/off/on
for cranking. It's possible the DME reports a value, but the PST2 just does a test
for "greater than" and then displays the symbol, or the DME determines if the
ref signal has a problem even though the engine starts.

The fuel level signal is pin 39 on the ODBII DME and has questionable utility too.

The most key DME parameters are: the O2 sensor ('95) & four O2 sensors
and the TRA/FRA values and the cycle flags (for readiness states) (=>'96).

You can use the PST2 data from a 986/996 as relative values,
e.g. injector PW, MAF, load signal, & timing as posted here:

www.systemsc.com/tests.htm
Old 07-16-2006, 09:24 PM
raycm
Instructor

---------------------------------------------------
"I have a proper version of your ECU's EPROM now.
input.4 is indeed the engine temp sensor. 0-5 volts I believe.
input.5 is the MAF. Also 0-5 volts.
I'm thinking input.8 may be the 02 sensor but I'm not 100%. "
+++
Engine Temp voltage will start high and go low.
Is the following correct?
Input.3=Always 0:
Input.4=EngTmpSensor:;n*1;##.## Volts
Input.5=MAF Sensor:;n*1;##.## Volts
Input.6=Always 0:
Input.8=O2 sensor:;n*1;#### mV
This means the MAF Sensor I have in Actual Values is wrong? The shop manual lists air flow sensor in Actual Values. Nothing for MAF in INPUTS. (I wouldn't be suprised it is wrong)
-------------------------------------------------------
"Also, have you tried the output test feature?"
+++
TEST OUTPUTS? No I haven't. Could I unintentionally cause the DME to reprogram itself?
If safe I'll try it. Don't want to tow car to mechanic. :-)
------------------------------------------------------
"Have you looked at the "Trouble Codes" file? Note that in the "Trouble Codes" file each section is headed with something like [M00]--you would need to add an [M06] to define trouble codes for your ECU."
+++
Yes the trouble codes for CCU are not recognized. M06 I'll do, what about the others? S00, H00. I can also add alarm. S06, H06, etc? Or what would I use as header? I have the trouble codes.

On the same note, there are check boxes beside input & actual values, I notice 964 they are checked. 993 they are not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"On a side note, I've heard that the late '95s changed from the round connector to the ODB2 style. Is there any knowledge of an ECU change along with the connector change?"
+++
My 1995 has the OBD 2 connector. So your new eprom is using the OBD 2 connector. The shop manual shows both round and OBD 2.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great progress, thanks,

Ray
Old 07-16-2006, 10:09 PM
raycm
Instructor

"The RPM sensor switch is a complete waste "
+++
I was thinking it would be a way to verify speedometer accuracy.
Yes HS, TR, FS. I put in list because I didn't know what they were. Now I do. Thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can use the PST2 data from a 986/996 as relative values,
e.g. injector PW, MAF, load signal, & timing as posted here:"
+++
Yes I've been reviewing that from your 964 posts. The table shows Ignition timing advance 5 to 36 & < 40 degrees max. My guessed at memory location is 9 to 25.5 degrees. No load. Your saying this isn't correct? I should get closer to 40 degrees. Perhaps I should try driving and get results first.
What about Ignition timing change? The manual lists that item. Your web site doesn't.
Maybe thats added to my 25.5? With the present readings I'd have 25.5 + 7.5 = 33 degrees. Pretty close. I'm obviously guessing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The most key DME parameters are: the O2 sensor ('95) & four O2 sensors
and the TRA/FRA values and the cycle flags (for readiness states) (=>'96)."
+++
Doug feels O2 sensor is INPUT 8, or?. At any rate that's in the working Q. 150 to 900mV are these the correct numbers reported? Do you know if it is 0mV without running engine? I thought of disconnecting the sensor and look for an INPUT or Actual Value to respond. And I worry I'll cause myself some grief. I know if my sensor died I could probably replace it and drive off. Resetting the error code with the scantool. :-)
TRA/FRA? are these only OBD2 along with 4 O2 sensors? I see them in 996 diagnostics but not OBD 1 993. I'm making sure I'm reading correctly, not picking on you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also your earlier TEST OUTPUTS as valuable is looking promising.

Thanks Loren,

Ray
Old 07-16-2006, 11:46 PM
DougB
Advanced

Ray,

You'll see the exact same numbers for the MAF sensor at Input.5 and Actual Value location 0x47. The difference is that for 'input' the value is read directly from the digital to analog converter channel as opposed to it being read from RAM. The ECU stores the MAF reading in RAM too--I think they do that so they can determine delta from one reading to the next and use the delta for things like accelleration enrichment and throttle tip-in spark retard.

You can use the same '((n*500)/255);#.## Volts' formatting for the MAF input channel that you would use in the Actual Values screen.

I wouldn't bother with trying to convert the Input for the temp sensor channel to a voltage. The numbers that you get from the Actual Values screen for the temp sensors will make much more sense as you already know.

The [M00], [M06], [H00] you see in the Trouble Codes file comes from an identifier that is returned from the ECU. The 964 Motronic returns M00, the earlier 993s return M04 and your version returns M06. I'm not sure what identifiers are being returned from the other devices. I'll change the software to show the identifier when it connects to a device--that may help.

Running the output test is harmless--just keep a fire extinguisher near by! The fuel injectors are very quiet--sometimes you'll need a stethescope to here them. The injectors will trigger first, starting with cylinder 1 and following the firing order. The software unfortunately only displays the number of the output being tested instead of something descriptive like 'Injector #1' After you go through the 6 injectors then there is the evap valve, the idle control valve and the resonance flap test--maybe not in that order though. I believe the 993 also has some additional test but the software doesn't make use of them.

-doug
Old 07-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"our saying this isn't correct? I should get closer to 40 degrees. Perhaps I should try driving and get results first."

The 964/993 have similar ignition timing which reaches near 45 degrees and is
greater the 986/996. Remember, the timing is a function of: CH temp, load, &
RPM. I'm sure you're reading & converting correctly.

Q. 150 to 900mV are these the correct numbers reported? Do you know if it is 0mV without running engine?

These numbers are right on. When the engine is not running, you should read .45 to
.55 from the O2 sensor (964/early 993).

TRA/FRA? are these only OBD2 along with 4 O2 sensors? I see them in 996 diagnostics but not OBD 1 993.

Yes, that's correct. It's a function of OBDII, i.e. '96 & later 993 (USA) and all subsequent Porsches.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:04 AM
DougB
Advanced

Oh yeah, I believe that...

When the engine is not running or it's running and the 02 sensor hasn't warmed up, there is a substitute voltage on the 02 sensor channel so it should never show 0.

Loren? Comments?

Also, to clarify: what is being read from the 'Inputs' is a number from 0 to 255 that represents a voltage on a digital to analog converter channel. You can convert the number to a voltage if you know the reference voltage for the channel but for something like the 02 sensor it doesn't really work well as the value jumps up and down too much.

--------------

The check boxes you see on the Actual Values and Inputs screen let you turn on/off updating of the reading. If you check off more than a couple of readings the update speed really gets slow.

-doug

Quick Reply: ScanTool engine results for 95 OBD 1