Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It pays to go to traffic court even if it's inconvenient!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, I was in traffic court in Pittsburgh during the '94 Olympics and the judge dismissed the entire room saying she wanted to go home and watch Nancy Kerrigan skate. So it does pay to go to court. I fight every single ticket.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thx for the kind words, guys. I sometimes flash when I see a speed trap and sometimes I don't. Believe it or not, I was actually pulled over once flashing on coming cars about a speed trap! The officer said I was improperly using my headlights or some crap like that. I could not fathom the uselessness of bothering to pull me over some something like this, but I'm just a guy, driving on the road , not "the law".

I was not using a radar detector when I got pulled over. I haven't used one since 1985 when I was pulled over on the NJ Turnpike by a pace car for speeding, relying solely on my passport radar detector. The detector never went off, I was feeling safe doing all of about 65-69 mph in a 55, but the pace car got me sans radar. Boy did I get in trouble... I was coming back from a Grateful Dead tour and lets just say that we still had some "consumables" in the car. 4 days in a NJ county jail later, I vowed never to use a radar detector again and just try to obey the speeding limits as best as I could. Sounds like a lame deduction to most of you guys I'm sure, but you don't know what I went through, all because I relied on that detector to feel safe. You're not really safe from getting pulled over when speeding as you 'could' be paced at that high speed.

Either way, there aren't any "consumables" in my cars any more either so that's never an issue!

For you guys wondering what to say in court or whether to go, I'm not a lawyer so I can't offer anything really there... I'm just a guy that got lucky, again.

Mark from Baltimore: Man, you REALLY caught a break that day! 30 over? That would have been a nasty ticket, fine and pointage.

Steve R
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Great result Steve! Thanks for sharing your experiences!!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was pulled over doing 103mph and walked with a verbal warning. Then I get pulled over doing a 46 in a 35 and went to traffic school and it wont going against my driving record. It was my first speeding ticket since I was 17 years old. Pretty good run of 18 years without getting pulled over for speeding.

Traffic school is commical. A bunch of guilty people complaining and making excuses why they shouldnt have got a ticket or why they believe they were screwed. I was pulled over for speeding and my only excuse was my stereo was too loud to hear the radar detector.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a bunch of people complaining about the state extorting money from them is pretty reasonable and speed limits and traffic enforcement are not at all. Try doing the speed limit on the Capital Beltway and you'll be a speed bump, back up traffic, cause accidents and road rage. But 55 is the limit and everyone does 75-85. So whenever the state or county needs cash, they go out there and pick off a few cars like bears picking salmon out of the stream. It's extortion, selective enforcement, and no different from when tiny princes in pre-Kaiser Germany charged tolls for crossing through their turf. I have zero guilt about speeding AND using a radar detector (illegal in VA, even though the FCC says they're legal) AND fighting every ticket in court. On the very rare occasions when I've lost in court, I know it still cost the county more in court time than they got out of me. I try my best to take the incentive away from the state/county in extortin money from me. They always lose more than I do.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:39 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
... I thought... "this is too good to be true". Yep, it was true, and it sure was good.

I hear the judge say "Stephen XXXXXXX... the policeman didn't show today so you are lucky. This court finds you Not Guilty." How sweet were those words? I felt like doing a cartwheel down the aisle. ...
should have done it!!!

what a great idea for a commercial, a cartwheel in court!!! HA!

wonder if that's against the law... (like wearing a hat in court)

great post steve

& allthebest

ps: you remind me of an old trick that used to work in cali. you'd show up to court & if no cop you win... if you see your cop, you politely walk to the window & pay your fines & ask for traffic school. -most of the time they were no-shows & got the tic. off.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:46 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
...Traffic school is commical. ....

last time i did traffic school, it was online & the test was book-marked so you could take over time... it was great.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

V1

Quick Reply: It pays to go to traffic court even if it's inconvenient!