Ac/Heater Blower Switch And The Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:22 PM
shattergard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ac/Heater Blower Switch And The Dealership

Ac/Heater Blower Switch And The Dealership

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My car is now at Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta for the Blower switch repair. To my great dismay I was contacted by the service dept who stated the AC switch is part of a whole unit that houses all of the AC/Heat switches etc.

Simply said, the switch can not be repaired and now I have to buy the whole unit for a $ 1000.00 dollars plus labor costs. This problem all stems from me (the idiot) placing a Alum finish cap over the switch and pushing it on a bit to hard. So a German fancy $ 22.00 dollar cool looking cap now cost me about 1500.00 in labor and repairs.

If thats not bad enough, I also had a slight gas smell in the car and it turns out I need a new Charcoal filter can (I think thats what it is called) It took the dealership 3 hours to trace the smell. Labor and parts 475.00

Ok- enough crying Sorry folks

Jordan

PS> The car has 13500 miles. How does the charcoal can thingy go bad so fast?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

Unless your car is under warrenty, never take your car to the stealer!!! One of the first lessons of Rennlist. Find a good indy shop for the hard stuff and get a set of wrenches and tech manual for the rest.

For the AC switch console, did you try places that do DME and circuit board rebuilds? I had one from a former BMW rebuilt (bad solder joints) and saved $500 bucks over a replacement part. Also, call LA Porsche Dismantlers and see about a used part. There are many options other than getting screwed by the stealer.

3 hours to trace the smell...what a farce. It's a tough lesson, but learn it and never set foot there again.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would also check into sunset or pelican parts for a price check. First though, check with an independent who knows what they are doing. We have plenty of Atlanta RLers who should chime in on their recommendations. I wouldn't jump to pay $1k to these guys, particularly for something that doesn't impact the driveability of the car.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
shattergard
Racer

thanks everyone

jordan
Old 07-12-2006, 05:35 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Call Pat Collins before you drop that money--he might be able to help you out...Stealership is very expensive for older cars and a lot of their techs don't know much at all [if anything] about our air-cooled cars--

770-448-3338
Old 07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
shattergard
Racer

Hi All,

After going back and fourth with the dealership... they agreed to attempting the repair of the switch vs replacing the whole $ 1150.00 dollar unit. Well the good news, Jim Ellis Porsche of Atlanta steped up to the plate and did my repair for $ 200.00 dollars . I must say I have a new found respect for dealership service. I was about to spend the $ 1150 plus labor.. with that said I have no complaints.

Thanks everyone for your help

Jordan

PS. I know if I kept pusing and pushing..they would attempt the repair.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, there's $950 toward some mods :-)
Old 07-13-2006, 10:28 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Good to hear Jordan--the few times I took my car to JE they did me well, so congrats on not getting bent over on that one.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:34 AM
dhicks
Drifting

But just think.....goes to show waht stealers they are.....if you had not questioned.....they would have stung you for the whole $1,100.......there are two or three really good shops in ATL.....I used to live there.......and they know what they are doing for a lot less $$$.....try and arrange an ATL get together and chat to the locals for the scoop

Quick Reply: Ac/Heater Blower Switch And The Dealership