Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Death of Porsche: 993 Sandwich (need comparables)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Gbag
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That story is so sad. Ouch. Sounds like something that would happen to me...

I purchased a very very clean 30k, 1 owner, all records 96 C2 about a month ago for 38,500. This seems to be the lower range for a 96/97 with low milage and basic options. I have the bill of sale if you need a copy.

Good luck-

G
Old 07-10-2006, 11:38 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do, don't settle until you're satisfied.
They want to close the book quickly and hate to have an owner holding up their pipeline. Wait him out, provide steady ammunition and stay firm.

Offer up several comparable cars if need be, and say, "OK, replace mine with this one. or this one. or this one. etc."

Eventually you'll prevail.
Good luck!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What a horrible chain of events.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Quit fooling around with the ins company and show them you mean business......hire an attorney. This accident wasn't your fault, why are you on the defensive? Legal threats are the only thing they understand.

You were injured, the car is ruined.....go get some
Old 07-11-2006, 08:28 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to hear your story.... I can definately feel the pain. I am waiting to hear back from the lift insurance company about my loss.

Don't let them screw you!!!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:43 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

One more piece of advice from someone who went through this recently ... be nice to your adjuster, don't cop an attitude, he/she is just following their procedure and objective which is to settle for as little as possible.

You will get much further by being calm, logical and laying out your case very completely and professionally, all in one piece, than you will by peppering them with bits and pieces, threatening to get an attorney and so forth ... give them a chance first. You're not at fault here, they will go after the guy in the Taurus and the rental company for the money anyway, you have to make it seem as if you're on their team and make them work for you instead of against you.

Seriously, read my first post, and do exactly as I told you to do, you will prevail on the car's value.

If you were injured, or think you might have been, get yourself to a doctor and get checked out, it's important to document everything you can right away, just in case there is something wrong with you. I had post-concussion syndrome which interfered with my short-term memory and cognitive recall skills for months after the accident, and I thought I was fine for the first few days until I noticed that I was transposing digits when I dialed them or wrote them down. Be on the safe side and get checked out.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark
Quit fooling around with the ins company and show them you mean business......hire an attorney. This accident wasn't your fault, why are you on the defensive? Legal threats are the only thing they understand.

You were injured, the car is ruined.....go get some
Best way I can think of to slow down the process while at the same time making it highly likely that YOU won't even net out the $32,400 you were originally offered, even if there is a higher number settled upon.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you going through YOUR insurance company? You will have plenty of leverage against the Taurus's, and little to none with your's. (And email me the photos, I will post them.)
Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P
Why are you going through YOUR insurance company? You will have plenty of leverage against the Taurus's, and little to none with your's. (And email me the photos, I will post them.)

This sounds right to me. All your company would do is make your claim against the company of the at fault driver. The lower you settle for, the less hassle for them to settle with the other company. Go straight to the other side; they will be the ones worried that you are going to sue them, and they are the ones who will be willing to pay for you to give them a release. That is where a lawyer might help you.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Best way I can think of to slow down the process while at the same time making it highly likely that YOU won't even net out the $32,400 you were originally offered, even if there is a higher number settled upon.
How long have you been an insurance adjuster? This WILL NOT slow down the process. The insurance company will wait you out until death given their choice. I've done this both ways, and won't proceed without a lawyer ever again.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

See the instructions here how to upload photos (you don't need to be a member).

Marc
p.s. sorry to hear of your troubles
Old 07-11-2006, 01:47 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

You have greater rights filing a claim with your own insurer as your ins. co. has a duty to deal in good faith with you - failure to do so will open up a potential bad faith claim.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Bad faith litigation is not something you want to pursue with an insurer, and your adjuster could not care less about it anyway.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:00 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

I wouldn't even know where to start explaining the problems with your reasoning.

Bad faith litigation is not something you want to pursue with an insurer, and your adjuster could not care less about it anyway.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Yeah. I am sure you have done a lot of ltigation. I am being pragmatic and you are arguing niceties that have no meaning.

Cheers, fellas.

Quick Reply: Death of Porsche: 993 Sandwich (need comparables)