Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just did my belts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:38 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meaning that the tool is too long? I'm about to start this project myself, my A-belt also has some cracks in it and they are of unknown age anyway.

If one is not experienced in setting the belt tension via feel.. what can one do to test belt tension? Are there easily aquired (read inexpensive) tools that will do the trick.

Also, I need to order some other tools from Snap-On and just might order the 12-point from them. I did not see in any of the posts what size it was. 12mm, 10mm, 90mm (OK, I know it's not that big).

Thanks for the detailed writeup WITH pictures... Since I managed to change the caps and rotors myself (what a PITA to get that lower screw on the bottom cap) I think I can handle the belts. I think.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tool you want is a 10mm, 12 point star bit. Mine arrived a few days after I was all done and I haven't bothered to check it would fit on a ratchet and still into the alt. shaft. Honestly, just buy the the cheapo Lisle bits from the local car parts store. I have all the metric star tools and have used them maybe once per year at most. The 12mm one is good for flywheel bolts. One of the smaller ones can be used for some CV bolts. The Snap-On stuff, while nice, is way overkill for jobs you won't do but every few years.

I'd rather have the belt too loose than too tight. If it's way loose, you might hear it squeal when you blip the throttle. I can live with that. Get it too tight and you can easily bend your alt. shaft. Best bet is to just note how the tension feels before you remove the old belt and try to get the new one to that feel.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Tension tool: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/show...iliateid=10050

Also suggest a flexible magnetic pickup tool. You will drop something down there at some point.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
Note that bolt sticking out on the left side of the compressor. Easily, one of the top three most frustrating things I've ever done on a 911 and that's saying something. BTW, I turned the engine over a few times with the key to get the belts to seat and set tension by feel.
Dumb question: if all you want to do is switch out the alternator pulley for the update, do you need to mess with the A/C compressor?

Also interested in hearing of any cheap tensioning tool solutions...
Old 04-30-2007, 03:49 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Tension tool: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/show...iliateid=10050

Also suggest a flexible magnetic pickup tool. You will drop something down there at some point.
I used mine three times last night doing the caps and rotors. I dropped those little wire clips on the electrical connetions (one I dropped twice). Wait, 4 times, I dropped a socket and it made short work of getting it back. Worth every one of the 200 pennies I spent on the thing.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be changing my belts this weekend. The belt tension is adjusted by adding or removing shims between the pulley halves, correct...? More shims = less tension...?

Quick Reply: Just did my belts...