Sponsored by: DashLynx

Did I use the wrong undercoat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:58 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Did I use the wrong undercoat?

I recently removed some minor rust just aft the front bumper below the spare from where the original undercoating was removed from the car bottoming out on pavement. Anyway, after dissolving the rust and preping the area, I resprayed the area with rubberized undercoating. Well after about a week, its still tacky!

I called the manufacturer (Bondo makes Mar Hyde) and they told me there are 2 types - rubberized and non-rubberized. Anyway rubberized is asphalt based and takes time - 1-2 days - to harden. They also mentioned that cure times are extended with high humidity (its been very humid in SOCAL lately).

I have parked the car in the sun, driven it a few days this week and its still tacky enough for the stuff to come off when you touch it!

I have a sinking feeling that I should have used the non-rubberized stuff. I am going to be wait a week longer, but now Im thinking it will have to be removed and redone. I have NO idea how to remove this stuff...

Does anyone have experience in this area? I wish the PO had installed a FPB to prevent damage to factory undercoating...... Im hoping it hardens and I dont have to worry about it anymore.

PS. I followed the directions on the can exactly, insuring it was well mixed etc....
Old 07-07-2006, 07:14 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TJ, if it's still tacky I'd start by scraping it off with a putty knife. Then use 3M's General Adhesive Remover or lacquer thinner to remove any residue.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by epj993
TJ, if it's still tacky I'd start by scraping it off with a putty knife. Then use 3M's General Adhesive Remover or lacquer thinner to remove any residue.
Eric's advice is good, but I'd try paint thinner to remove the residue first, before lacquer thinner. If the paint thinner doesn't do the job then try the lacquer thinner in a small place to see if it removes paint first.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I dont understand what went wrong. I searched around the web and I found only 1 mention of this stuff not drying on a ford imperial restoration web site. It did not state a reason. For every other mention on the web, it looks like the stuff dried to the touch in 1-2 days. I could not find anyone complaining about this stuff, so Im in the very small minority where it did not work.....

Quick Reply: Did I use the wrong undercoat?