Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Canadian car to USA....how hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing Canadian car to USA....how hard is it?

I tried searching but could not find what I needed. We are considering bringing in a Canadian spec 993 to the United States and I was curious how hard this is to do, and what people have really experienced on here while trying to bring a Porsche into the United States. How much of a headache is it to do? I have some basic information from Customs, but I feel insight from people that have actually done it will be more beneficial. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:13 AM
saphriel
Instructor

Hi,
I've done it when I hade to bring my 993 from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA.
It's not particularly hard, just have to go through the motions. Make sure you get a Letter of Compliance from Porsche. You will also need to have the speedo changed over (if it hasn't already).
Other than that, I had to pay duty on the car and then have it registered at the DMV. Also here in WA the car has to pass emissions testing as well (so make sure to deal with all SAI issues beforehand).

Good luck!
-joe
Old 07-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It is likely that you will also require a Dealer to attest that all outstanding recall campaigns have been corrected: they normally issue this free of charge with a VIN print out on their letterhead. ... eg. DME harness issue on the '96's, etc.
The Compliance Letter, which is primarily directed at safety and emission standards, must also be backed up by the corresponding labels on the drivers door post.

Speaking of speedos .... don't anyone throw away a speedo marked in Km/hr. I could use one here - and have a mph speedo to swap. the odometer readings would need to be documented for total vehicle milage, but otherwise they should be plug & play.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 AM
hotrdd911
Instructor

Same here I have a MP speedo to swap for a Km/h. Just want to know why your taking all the good canadian 993's. Not that many over here....
Old 07-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

Thanks for the help, gang. When switching the speedo will that cause it to be classified as 'actual mileage unknown' from being switched over??
Old 07-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Haven't checked the 993 Owners manual/service log, but many cars have a form included to document an odometer change ( in case of failure, etc): this can be supported with a Dealers stamp.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:45 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Have to disagree about the odo change. Even if you document it, anything other than the original makes the car worth less IMO. If you can live with Km/h, leave it alone.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:06 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

regardless of whether he can live with km/h or not, you americans require the speedo to display mph in the larger of the two texts, whereas in canada the government has acknowledged our ability to read the smaller writing on the inside.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
regardless of whether he can live with km/h or not, you americans require the speedo to display mph in the larger of the two texts, whereas in canada the government has acknowledged our ability to read the smaller writing on the inside.
Can't dispute what you say; question is, what government agency will ever enforce that once you get the car into the US?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I've done this before. If you don't know how to do it, it can take a long time. Car manufacturers don't like their cars crossing borders and they take their time doing things like issuing letters of compliance etc. I used an agent here in BC. I don't remember it being expensive and they give you the paperwork to cross the border within 24 hrs. PM me if you want their contact info. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: Importing Canadian car to USA....how hard is it?