993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alt belt-now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006 | 11:22 AM
pchak
Pro

Actually, the belt is off, because it broke. I now have the a/c pump loose. I disconnected the latch, so I have clearance for the tool. Bad news-it appears to be stripped.

Also, the fan turns freely-doesn't it have some type of clutch?
Old 07-07-2006 | 11:25 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

The alternator fan has no clutch and should spin freely in both directions if the belts are off. If your shaft splines are stripped, then you'll either need an air ratchet or will need to hold the fan blades with your hands. Don't even think of trying to hold the fan by sticking a screwdriver between the blades. Don't even think about thinking about it.
Old 07-07-2006 | 12:10 PM
pchak
Pro

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "alternator fan". The cooling fan is still held in place by its fan belt, and the alt shaft spins freely, since it would be powered by its own belt. That gave me an idea. I tried to use one of those belt wrenches to hold the alt pulley in place, with no luck.

That alt nut isn't LH-threaded, is it?
Old 07-07-2006 | 02:41 PM
pchak
Pro

Well, my scientist friend pointed out why it wouldn't be LH thread, but BOY that nut is on tight. I hit it w/PB BLast, and I'm trying to whack the wrench, while holding the pulley with the strap wrench.
Old 07-07-2006 | 02:42 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Air ratchet!
Old 07-07-2006 | 06:17 PM
pchak
Pro

Default Took some doin'

...but it finally came off. I kept wrapping the alternator pulley with the strap wrench, tightening down, and wacking the socket wrench with a hammer.
Just before I was getting ready to make an appt. at the shop, I gave it one last whack-the nut spun right off. It took me maybe 20 minutes to put it all back together.

What a pain.

Quick Reply: Alt belt-now what?