Sponsored by:

Any military folks out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:19 AM
tankertoad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any military folks out there?

I am trying to figure out how to position my DoD stickers on my windshield. I don't want to do top center but rather somehow do it lower driver's corner. On my bimmer, it sits low and unobtrusively below the VIN and wipers. The 993 has VIN and wipers crammed at the bottom so any ideas on how to mount them?
Old 07-03-2006, 04:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have always resisted the subjective placement of the DoD stickers on my cars so I made up a license plate sized sheet of metal, with a sort of tab just the size for the stickers, painted it the body color of the car, and then put it on UNDER the front plate. This way the stickers are visible when you even run a bra on the car, and you can keep that trash off the windows. My local base people didn't give me a whole lot of trouble with it as I said it was more common for me to have to replace a windshield these days (and lose the stickers) than a bumper. DoD switched over mostly because so many cars have painted bumpers and no one wanted to mess up their finishes with those stickers. Over here in Europe (where I happen to be right now) there are no decals on cars at all, as they believe it only helps to aid the wrong people in identifying your affiliation with the services.

P.S. My local base simply wrote up a little letter that explained that I was authorized to have my sticker where it is.

Dan
'Edgy 01'
Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 AM
993polarsilver
Racer

For us at home, the best spot is on the lower drivers side window. That is where the MP's or SP's stationed at the base entry point look for it, as it is easy to size you up when scanning from low right side (guard perspective) to driver. It pays to be safe these days and you can flip your wipers to the passenger side like the trackers do if it is a concern at the base. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just threw mine on the lower left corner.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2006, 01:11 AM
tankertoad
Instructor

Pete,
Are your decals above the VIN but below the wipers? Because on my car, the wipers sit only an inch or two above the VIN with insufficient space to fit the decals without the wipers laying on top of them (albeit they're barely touching the glass at the point).
Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 AM
hidden
Advanced

I put mine just between the wipers at the base of the windsheild. . If you want a pic I'll get one tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Jason, I put mine on the lower left just above the VIN. Yes, the wiper blades do rest on DoD portion but it doesn't bother me and no GG has given me issue.

Have any of you ever wondered why we even have DoD decals anymore? With 100% ID checks everywhere, whats the point in having a decal?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I have mine positioned partially hides the VIN. It's no problem to me because:
A.) I have my VIN memorized
B.) The VIN is also located inside the door jamb
C.) All of the above

My windshield wipers don't park as low as some I've seen. You can probably take the wiper arms off and move them one notch up to give clearance if needed.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:45 PM
tankertoad
Instructor

Thanks guys (and I mean that in a generic sense)!

Mike, I don't mind the wipers resting on them just don't want them to prematurely wear from the friction (although we don't see much precip here).

Hidden, yeah, please show a pic. Was that you I gave a wave to at March not long ago???
Old 07-08-2006, 10:54 AM
polver
Instructor

I put mine center top. Can't see it from inside the car due to the mirror.
Car is so low, it is easy for the guard to see. (unlike my F-150 4X4) That was a pain, so I moved it to driver's side, low.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:54 AM
polver
Instructor

I lied. The mirror doesn't hide it. The window "tint" at the top hides most of it.

Quick Reply: Any military folks out there?