Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good caliper rebuild and Powder coat place??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Good caliper rebuild and Powder coat place??

Cheers-

Looking for a place that can powder coat my calipers and do a decent job.. I think I could do the rebuild, if it's not too involved.. is there a rebuild kit? If not, or if I need special tools, is there a place that could do the whole job?? I was trying to bribe mr Walrod but I got nowhere ;-)

TIA-
Coleman.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:08 PM
pguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coleman,

I think you should check with Chris Walrod.

-pguy
Old 06-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts

What are the symptoms that you need a caliper rebuild? Itch in the wallet, get it all done "while we are in there"? I ask because I would love to have some "little reds" powder coated by the maestro, Chris. Trouble is, I just can't stand the down time, and my originals work fine.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, nothing wrong.. they are cracking and peeling.. They look grey and kinda aged.. and then while they are off, may as well throw some seals in there.. Oh, then I saw these and started to jones..
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a wintertime-planned project for me too. The planned winter upgrades will have the car non-drivable for at least 3 weeks as the CF interior goes in and the silver gauge faces are installed. So I’m happy to pull the brakes and send them for powder-coating at the same time.
My "excuse" is that my brakes are squealing, I can feel a tiny “rim” on my rotors (they were described as “cupping” by Black Forest in San Diego when the PPI was done in 2003), and I’d like to switch to SS brake lines as well. Oh yeah, that and I want to see red peeking out from the wheels!
So, my question is similar. What needs to be replaced when doing a full brake-job?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:14 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Coleman,

What a great opportunity for you to "slip into" my Big Reds. They are in nice condition, but the rotors are about half gone. Here's the problem... I need to replace the Big Reds with something bigger, they have to be yellow (the red clashes with arena red), and they need to be free of brand names. And... and here's the hardest part... I have little money to spend on this upgrade. Help me find a way to make this work out.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Ron Adair
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coleman -

I've been considering going with red powder coating for my calipers and inquired with a shop in Chatsworth. Read their reply below... they seem like a capable shop.

(Think through the rotor comment.)

Ron

Dear Ron:

We need to have the pistons and seals removed and the halves split if they are two piece calipers. All transfer lines should also be removed if there are any. We will then mask them and blast the exterior keeping the piston, mating faces and seal areas masked. We will then remove the blast masking for the parts to be hung and prebaked in the oven to get them dry and clean. Then a second masking period is required with high temperature tape for the powder coating process. As you are starting to imagine this requires a period of time that will not allow you to wait for the parts. Our usual lead time is two weeks but we will try to improve that to get you car down from the jack stands as soon as possible. You might consider having us do the rotors also. We can coat those in black or even red if you desired and that will keep the “hat” area from rusting and it will make the wheel assembly look finished. Yes we can do the spindles and springs to.

Hope this gives you some food for thought; we look forward to seeing your part soon. We are gear heads also and we will do your parts to the standard that you expect, we are not a production facility that just does car and bike parts on the side. This is our business, doing really nice parts for special projects.

Regards,

Scott

Scott Andrews

Andrews Powder Coatings, Inc.

9410 DeSoto Avenue #E

Chatsworth, CA 91311

818.700.0904 Fax

www.powdercoater.com

Quick Reply: Good caliper rebuild and Powder coat place??