Sponsored by:

TOTAL PAINT JOB ADVICES NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:33 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts
Default TOTAL PAINT JOB ADVICES NEEDED

After thorough reflections, and original colour darkening from sunlight etc, I decided to paint the whole car.
It will be taken to a professional paint shop in Germany who gave me the choice of paint brand, lacquer, etc.
I have been told that AKZO-NOBEL is one of the best paints and is used on the Carrera GT, also that Porsche uses Dupont. Any ideas of a brand?
The colour is arctic silver 92T: it comes it two codes.
POR92T and POR92T(L)
L is for lighter, anyone had any experience choosing and what difference is that?
I saw on the colour codes thread there is two codes for arctic silver as well.
Where is the difference, L92T and L92U?
I was told I need special bumper primer.

I have prepared an order for parts to purchase from the dealer as to prepare
for the paint job.
I have ordered the felt bumper-fender joints and fender body rubber joints.
Windshield, rear windows and rear windshield rubber seals.
Sun roof front and rear felt joints.
Have I forgot anything to render the paint job perfect?

Does anyone know if we can remove/replace the rear-side windows' rubber seals without removing the glass? I need to remove the metal seam under the rubber so that the area be painted as well with no marks.
How many colour coats and lacquer coats should I ask for?

I am really scared of the new water based paints.

Any advice is more than welcome

'97 Carrera S 100% original
Old 06-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are good brands, I'd add PPG.

For bumpers, besides the diferent primer, you might want to ask them to add "flex" to the lacquer, this is the stuff to make lacquer little more flexible siince the bumpers are flexible.

For full paint like that, I'd definitely remove all the glass and after the paint, replace all the rubber seals.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Question Are you certain about this?

Carrera S is a special car.....but you are going to spend (my estimate), at least 6.0 Euros to get the job done, probably a lot more. If it were me, I'd sell the car and get another one in the color I wanted. In the US, lack of an original paint job is not a good thing when one decides to sell their car.

The real problem with Porsche car re-painting, if you go to a different color, traces of the old color will be difficult to eradicate. P-cars are painted BEFORE the running gear is installed...therefore to do the job correctly, one must consider removing the engine, trans and running gear...now that gets really expensive.

Of course it is your car, and it is your decision. I am certain you have already given thought to my proposition. I wish you the best of luck in this enterprise. I am certain all will turn out well.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:11 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Carrera S is a special car.....but you are going to spend (my estimate), at least 6.0 Euros to get the job done, probably a lot more. If it were me, I'd sell the car and get another one in the color I wanted. In the US, lack of an original paint job is not a good thing when one decides to sell their car.
Martin, don't get me wrong, the colour I will repaint the car with is the factory exact original one, the car in my avatar. I am not choosing another colour.
I have a rendez-vous at a Porsche Motorsport paint-shop contractor end of next week. It will be painted by someone who paints special order porsches for Porsche Stuttgart.
But we agreed on a price, me getting all the parts and necessities.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought our P-cars were painted with Glassurit... Yes?

The AKZO-NOBEL paints are very good... Sold under the Sikkens name here in the states... I would stick with either Glassurit or Akzo-Nobel if I were doing a repaint (or repair for that matter).
Old 06-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you took the car to Germany, let me know where and I can perhaps run by and give you my opinion.... unless it is 1000 kms away from me.

For what it is worth, I second the opinion "don't do it" unless your paint is so crad that a full repaint is needed.

You would be amazed what a good polish will do for your paint shine.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2006, 03:57 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Merci Jean-Pierre.
I will be going from Paris to Stuttgart on thursday 29th or friday.
The car has a lot of stone chips on bumper hood and fenders.
As for polish, the stonechips have etched the surface ( although very small chips) and I can see the primer. I do not want to paint the front only, my insurance is paying for the lot.
As for the Paint-shop, I rendered them a huge service and they are making me pay cost price.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Geolab,

I guess you will have to change your "signature". Maybe "'97 Carrera S Cosmetically Enhanced"? I have asked some very serious car collectors about how the value of a car is affected by a repaint. Generally, the answer has been that it really depends on the quality of the job. I have been told that if the repaint is truly top quality, it may actually enhance the value compared to "cosmetically challenged" original paint.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:48 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, did I read that correctly that your insurance company is paying for this? that must be one seriously comprehensive policy to cover rock-chipped paint!
Old 06-25-2006, 06:56 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Yes insurance is paying for the job, stipulated in my contract.

Last edited by geolab; 06-25-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:33 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

What I would advise is to document this. Take plenty of pictures, hopefully date stamped and pictures at the shop as they prep it for paint before the repaint job. This way you can document that you did the repaint not because of damage , but for cosmetic reasons. If I was to buy this car without this type of documentation I would probably stay away fearing of previous damage...If on the other hand the seller could prove to me with pictures the state of the car before the repaint then I would not have an issue.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:00 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Thank you Danny, really appreciate your advice.
Though I have a certificate from Porsche that the car was never damaged, rented, or leased, I will compliment the car papers with date stamped pictures before, and after the work.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:55 AM
FLCERIK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 96 993 Cab is currently having the front end re painted, windshield replaced, front lighting replaced, stone guards replaced and mirrors re painted. The cost is over $6000.00 and my insurance company is paying for all of it except the $250.00 comprehensive deductible.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

FLCERIK,

Is the work necessary as a result of an accident or other incident?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:13 PM
FLCERIK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard,

The work is not as a result of an accident. I am having the work done because I am extremely **** and the stone chips on the leading edges drive me crazy.

Quick Reply: TOTAL PAINT JOB ADVICES NEEDED