Sponsored by:

Short Shift and RS Motor Mount Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:51 AM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shift and RS Motor Mount Install

I have been actively reading all the posts for the DIY job and I'm not convinced that I can handle both of these jobs on my own. Additionally, I'm lacking a floor jack and a handful of tools... yes, this would be a good excuse to head to the hardware store.

I noticed in previous posts that a few people decided to outsource this task to their mechanic. I was hoping to get an approximate cost estimate from anyone that has choosen the outsourcing option. The initial guesstimates from two mechanics (stealerships) have been in the $600 to $800 range.

Any fellow Rl'ers have a similar project they are contemplating and live in the area? A quick search revealed that most of you in the area have already performed this task but I thought I would try.

Thanks for your help.

Jon
Old 06-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are as DIY'able as it gets. Take the money you save by DIY'ing this and buy some good tools. You can get a very decent lightweight floor jack from HF for $120. I bought my billet aluminum solid motor mounts for $179 and installed them in about 40 min. Haven't done a short shift kit on the 993 yet, but it was a cinch on my SC. Don't pay someone to do this for you.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed Rick,

Jon,
Spend the money on tools, these are very easy DIY mods. You'll also know the job was done right! The motor mounts are a no brainer, did the same as Rick, I did spend some additional time doing an RS shifter rod not short shift but 5-8 hours should do it for what takes time to undo all those little clips and get them back together, I'm slow too. But it is done right.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they are quite simple jobs. However, as you indicate you are lacking even basic hand tools, as a suggestion, you might find a Denver-based Rennlister or Pelican to work with you on this for your first time. If you were in NorCal, I'd invite you over in a heartbeat.

Having a second pair of eyes and hands (and an already full toolbox) might help increase your confidence and help you determine if you really enjoy doing the DIY stuff before you go buy a bunch of tools.

The shift lever is mildly complicated but the writeup on Robin's site really helps. Most of the work is done under the car, so you'll need jackstands to get it up nice and high. Remember to move the shift guide tube before your reassemble (ask me how I know). And you can use a large open end wrench like a pickle fork to separate the shift lever ball from the cup.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I second the Jackstands!!! Don't rely on the jack alone. Be safe, be careful...
Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool I have a different recommendation...DIYers won't like it!

I would take the car to:

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
1 303 403 4110
chriscervelli@msn.com

Chris is one of the "Premier" wrenches in the country with a very impressive CV. He is right up there with Joel Reiser, Tony Callas, Kevin Rousch, Greg Brown, Galen Bieker, Mike Schatz, Jeff Ericksen, Carlos Granados, etc., etc.

If you have the opportunity to utilize the services of Chris Cervelli, you will be very pleased.

DIY is fun...but having a world class "wrench" work on your car...that can be a good thing too.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:44 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't need jackstands but may be it was because I didn't feel comfortable using jackstands either. This gave me enought space to install the ss kit.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:28 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

how would any of you guys or gals rate the short shift mod once installed?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:02 AM
jhale
Pro

Martin- thanks for the reference. I hear good things about Chris. OK, recent update. A colleague of mine at the office does autox in the weekends and has access to lift on the weekends. The shop specializes in Audi's but the mechanic told my friend that he is willing to help if I need it.

I am relatively capable with tools, the only issue is owning all of the right ones. I have most of the hand tools, just not the jack stands or floor jack.The motor mount install looks relatively easy but the shifter a bit more complicated. Are the directions that Gert supplies with this quick relatively intuitive? The DYI write up will probably make more sense once I get a chance to start taking some of pieces apart. Uggh, don't know what to do.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

I installed the complete RS kit including the selector rod that has a universal joint instead of the soft, vague, (crappy) stock rubber disk. Even though that part is pretty expensive I really like the upgrade. Shifting is more precise and much more what you would expect in a Porsche. Stock set up reminds me of my old VW bug by comparison.......

There is a pretty good post with all the DIY details too.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:00 AM
jhale
Pro

I just received another quote from a local dealership... i know hold on... This quote was $350 for the RS motor mounts and short shift kit (Gert). The head tech (whom I have worked with before) has performed several of these "upgrades" and said it would be no problem. This seems like a pretty good deal since they cover their workmanship for 1 year. The head tech asked where the parts were from and he was familiar with Gert and his products. What do you think? FWIW, I have not checked with Chris Cervelli yet.
Thanks- Jon

Thanks, JH
Old 06-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A good jack and a set of jackstands will cost between $100 and $200. Not sure what the value of your time is, but there is something to the satisfaction of "I did it myself." If that's not worth $150-250 to you, then it's a great deal.

Quick Reply: Short Shift and RS Motor Mount Install