Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

these cars should not be droven. They should stay in an air conditioned garage.
They are cars!!!.........thats it.....they break down, they have problems. SO WHAT every car has problems. If something is broken, or worn out.......fix it........get over it.......but with a 993 what ever you do......DO NOT DROVE IT. Droving could cause problems............sheesh..........
Old 06-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Rob993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok pcar964. What do you know?

Rob
Old 06-23-2006, 02:21 AM
sww914
Instructor

When I was a tech at a Porsche shop, we took them all off and left them off because we didn't like putting them back on. I think that most of us agree that there may be higher temps at very low speeds.
I think most of us agree that there may be more stability at extremely high speeds.
I think that several of you are being unreasonably hard on one another.
I have been very impressed, generally, with the gentlemanlike behavior on this board, and the great courtesy that members show each other.
I've seen the products of Mr Ruf's career,and I've met him, and I'd have to say, he's not full of sh*t. He builds awe-inspiring cars. I wish that I could achieve what he has.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
Bob - I wont attack or insult your intelligence - just show me your data! ... I thought so - just keep parroting what youve heard.
"What I heard" is good enough for me because I heard it from Porsche Engineers at Porsche AG during a visit to Germany. So, thanks for the permission to continue to believe the guys who created the stupid thing. BTW, what they said, which is what I have posted in the past, was that the tray was put in place due to the need to meet noise regs in several counties. The same regs that played a major part in the death of the air-cooled engine altogether.

Enjoy your tray.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

...there was NO MEASUREABLE DIFFERENCE in temperature of the heads while you are driving with the tray on or off. ....
FWIW, my measurements agree with tj90's findings that the tray doesn't affect head temp when driving. I recently hooked up my engine cylinder head temp sensor to my data logger and did some runs. I didn't test idling.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Buckeye19
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bull
"What I heard" is good enough for me because I heard it from Porsche Engineers at Porsche AG during a visit to Germany. So, thanks for the permission to continue to believe the guys who created the stupid thing. BTW, what they said, which is what I have posted in the past, was that the tray was put in place due to the need to meet noise regs in several counties. The same regs that played a major part in the death of the air-cooled engine altogether.

Enjoy your tray.
Bob, I do not believe that anybody is arguing that a Porsche engineer did in fact make those statements. Was that engineer in charge of underbody air management for the 993? I am an engineer at a large R&D firm, but I am certainly not qualified to make statements on the inner workings of every single project we have here.

This thread was started regarding the tray’s relevance to high speed stability on a stock 993. The 993 underbody also has trays covering the center tunnel and under the front suspension/steering rack area. Were those also added strictly for engine noise? Of course not. So the fact that those exist shows that the Porsche engineers did in fact pay consideration to air management under the car for reasons other then engine noise.

It is entirely possible that a part designed primarily for one purpose (engine noise) can in fact serve a secondary purpose as well (improvement in high speed stability). Removing that part may improve one condition, but be detrimental to another condition unintentionally. There are still unknowns in every production car when it leaves the factory since the development costs have to be kept in check.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Buckeye19
Bob, I do not believe that anybody is arguing that a Porsche engineer did in fact make those statements. Was that engineer in charge of underbody air management for the 993? I am an engineer at a large R&D firm, but I am certainly not qualified to make statements on the inner workings of every single project we have here.

This thread was started regarding the tray’s relevance to high speed stability on a stock 993. The 993 underbody also has trays covering the center tunnel and under the front suspension/steering rack area. Were those also added strictly for engine noise? Of course not. So the fact that those exist shows that the Porsche engineers did in fact pay consideration to air management under the car for reasons other then engine noise.

It is entirely possible that a part designed primarily for one purpose (engine noise) can in fact serve a secondary purpose as well (improvement in high speed stability). Removing that part may improve one condition, but be detrimental to another condition unintentionally. There are still unknowns in every production car when it leaves the factory since the development costs have to be kept in check.
All very possible, and I appreciate your comments.

The comments were made by a group of engineers during a brief meeting. I didn't check the credentials of every one of them, nor their resume'. The y went as far as to say that the tray wouldn't be on the cars if it were not for the noise regs. I have simply been trying to point those comments out as a possible, even likely indication that it wasn't put in place for any other reason. I never mentioned anything about engine temps, etc., nor do i care if anyone keeps the damn tray on or off.

Apparently saying so represents "listening to demagogues", "parroting" and being "sheeple"! All by someone who is confusing some numbers with "science". The only "parrote" I have heard is saying "where is your data, where is your data, I thought so, I thought so...."
Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Calm down Bob your going to have a stroke!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Calm down Bob your going to have a stroke!!!

Not likely. It would take something that I took seriously and mattered to do such a thing!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Coleman: I would not refute anything you are saying. I dont rebuild engines so I dont have a pool of data. But I would bet you a beer that if you measured the head temps you will come to the same conclusion I did when I instrumented my engine with thermocouple to determine temp differences. You can searxch on the thread, but there was NO MEASUREABLE DIFFERENCE in temperature of the heads while you are driving with the tray on or off. At idle, a tray may add ~5C of temp to the bottom of the engine with the tray on.
Okay, Point taken.. I was not aware of your thermocouple experiment thread.. I'll search the topic.. Where was the thermocouple reading taken from? I wonder if some of the "reported" exhaust valve guide wear could also be from the headers heat and the adjacent surrounding head area? These would (I suspect) have a different outside and inside temp then other parts of the head? I dunno much 'bout thermodynamics..

COleman..
Old 06-26-2006, 05:55 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It comes as a surprise that slow driving US gets so heated about high speeds.

Me and my friends, all with 964 RS in clubsport configuration, drive with the pan as it is regarded as a major factor in reducing the drag coefficient as compared to previous 911 models, including the Turbos.

Of course, nothing is absolute - something a few posters seem to forget. Their may be a trade off for the pan - increased heat. But for the na models this seems to be less of an issue whereas for the turbos this appears to be more of a problem - hence no pan.

But if you really go fast, like 180 mph in an 964 (on the autobahn ), you notice a lot of instability on a stock car (with engine mods), even with the pan. Only with a rear wing, front splitter and stiffer suspension do you stabilize the car enough to be comfortable. But due to the pan you can go that fast, even with modest power. A stronger but wider and less aero efficient 965 Turbo does not achieve such speeds.

I might burn a valve every once in a while but I certainly do not kill my engine with carbon build up like all those down town crawlers - even with their pan off.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:58 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ya, thanks for rubbing the Autobahn in our US faces.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:08 PM
R993TBO
Intermediate

I hit 150mph+ at several times a week here in Germany on some stretches of the Autobahn. These speeds are quite normal here so I think the tray does serbve a stability purpose. Also keeps all of the crud off that will prematurely rot away your turbos and oil resevoirs.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:07 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know anything about stability at sustained high speeds in my car but I have noticed that w/out the tray on the car seems to radiate less heat out the top grill once I park the car. I assume that means any heat that was trapped with the engine tray on is no longer being trapped. Hey Coleman, if the verdict is putting my tray back on, where was it you said the empty field is that you threw yours away in again? LOL
Old 06-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm collecting them all and selling them at the beach....they make good skim boards.

Quick Reply: 993 Engine Tray Removal Causes Instability at Top Speed~ RUF