Sponsored by:

SoCal.. Car Clubs for Track Days..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B,
Unfortunately, Tom was part of an experiment that did not work and is currently not being done. POC does not really do DE's per se. They organize primarily competative events (STS, TT & Cup Racing). This is a place that you (and everyone out there, including some of the most experienced drivers:they often hire personel coach's) will learn. You don't have to run a transponder so therefore it does not have to be timed. There are two student run groups at the Streets. At the big track events, you may have an issue running two people as there is generally one combined TT run group.

I love the organization due to its extreme level of safety and instruction. The steps that one has to take is a long process. Trust me I know as I may set a record on how long it is taking to get my Cup License due to several scheduling conflicts.

This may not be the place for everyone.

Have you looked into Driving Concepts? I have heard many good things and BMWCCA is a huge supporter of them. Also, Speed Ventures may have some options but I don't know much about them.

If you do decide to come out this weekend, I will be instructing both days (if my car is done by then). Be sure to stop by and say hi.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool So come on out and run EX class, no timing...

As David points out, that is the one (1) DE that I can recall...you wont see another DE at POC...so sorry Tom, you are right, it was not a beautiful thing. Going forward from that event, we now use Friday as an additional day of practice...no more DE. Give us another try...you'll love it. Also, read my article attached above. That will give you an idea of how good it can get!

ZombiePorsche brings up a great point...there have been, and still are some incredible PRO drivers you see at POC events such as Randy Pobst, Cort Wagner and our most recent shinning star, Kevin Rousch. Kevin is at nearly all POC events that do not interfere with his racing schedule. He drives a 997 GT3 Cup car for Wheel Enhancement on the circuit. With POC he drives an early 911 in V3, the Orange Run Group. He has cranked out some 1:27s at WSIR in this car...he is tough to beat.

Our amateur hot shoes such as Galen Bieker(Turned a 1:20 at WSIR recently in a 997 GT3 Cup Car), Bob Rodriguez...also campaign GT3 Cup Cars across the country but still find time to run POC events.

In closing, as stated in the POC GCRs, you can petition for a TT license with the appropriate and verifiable credentials. So Tom, B-Line and any other interested players, go to Porsche Owners Club and down load the GCRs in pdf format. There you will see the petition process.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

Martin,

Galen {werks II} is my mechanic. He recently installed my H&R Coilovers, RS LWF/Clutch and upgraded my syncro's. I would be careful how you throw around the word amateur regardless of driving class. Anybody that owns a speed/racing shop of that caliber is not your average weekend warrior. But that's beside the point.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Originally Posted by David '96 993
B,

Have you looked into Driving Concepts? I have heard many good things and BMWCCA is a huge supporter of them. Also, Speed Ventures may have some options but I don't know much about them.

If you do decide to come out this weekend, I will be instructing both days (if my car is done by then). Be sure to stop by and say hi.
Thanks David -
I will try Speed Ventures and Driving concepts. And as much as I would love to get this weekend in at Streets, it takes two of us to get to the track (how else can I get my wheels and tires up?) - If my bro and I are in the same run group, it just won't work.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:56 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

B-Line,

There are some other marque groups that would welcome you as well. You can find them by looking at the Willow Springs (or Buttonwillow, etc) event schedule and see who has the track on days of interest. The BMW club, Alfa club, Pantera club, etc will generally be happy to have an experienced Porsche driver show up. In past years, I've run with Speed Trials USA, and others whose names escape me at the moment (brain fart). I'm an old POC time-trialer, and didn't want to go through the short-track series either... as much as I enjoy POC events.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:23 PM
David '96 993
Pro

B,
Steve does make a good point about other clubs. I used to do BMWCCA DE's years ago and they were very well run. I have also heard good things about both the Alfa & Pantera clubs. The last two are always looking to fill up their attendance with any car.

You might want to look into TCRA (Touring Car Racing Association). They might be a bit more towards racing. A buddy races with them and enjoys it.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default WERKS II

Galen, although one of the finest drivers around, has not thrown his hat in the PRO ring. As far as I know, Galen is still a Club Racers, not a PRO. He is as good as a PRO...nobody will argue that point.

If you have WERKS II as your shop...you are in the right place. Galen is very knowledgable...incredible race car prep guy and a driver beyond reproach.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Just spoke with speed ventures. They seem to have what I am looking for. Not too many cars, lots of track time, one, two and even three day events at local tracks..

Thanks for the referral.. I will keep you all posted on the groups in the future.

B
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A few misconceptions I'd like to address......

First off, the event at Laguna a few years back was a DE fundraising event for the local "Make A Wish Foundation". Therefore it was opened up and promoted for local drivers of any make car. It was never promoted as a open track type of event, and it was a mistake in judgement. While we had good intentions, no one was happy and POC won't be revisiting that type of event again.

As for the Street of Willow short track series, you would run in the Yellow (not green) group your first time out. After that, you would run in the White group. Additionally, we accomodate many people who are sharing cars. The slowest student runs in the Yellow, the faster in White. It's that simple. You get signed off each day by an instructor. Most students are driving alone after lunch from their second event on. After 3 sign offs, and a day long driving school you are STS licensed and can run alone and qualify to run the TT events. POC will absolutely do check out rides for qualified individuals. You would need to call Marty Mehterian, the chief driving instructor and explain your credentials. I would assume a Barber racing license would qualify you. Since you don't want to run Time Trials, and you live in LA, POC's STS series would be a great venue for you and your brother. It would also be a convenient event for you to get your driving legs back under you after your studies. Let me add that we run 5, 20-25 min. sessions per group per day and sometimes more....

As for other events, I occasionally run with Speed Ventures just to keep sharp between races. Aaron runs a good ship. Remember that regardless of whom you're running with, you never know who else is on the track with you. With POC you at least know they've had some serious instruction. I've seen some really stupid drivers in DE events (including POC but only once)...

PS: Galen's my wrench too.....
Old 06-21-2006, 01:19 AM
sydude
AutoX

Originally Posted by B-Line
I am even going to take the Skip Barber 2 day Advanced Racing course, AGAIN..
Skippy's ADV 2 is the best program out there, period. Actually, the best program you can do is your first race weekend after an ADV 2. You'll learn more about racing (and yourself..) than you could imagine.

Here's a link to the Skippy Racer's site:

http://www.teamjuicyracing.com

Quick Reply: SoCal.. Car Clubs for Track Days..