Sponsored by:

Door Check strap mount loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:06 AM
RustyRotors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Check strap mount loose

I thought that I had a bad check strap creaking. I got a new one and found that it is not my check strap that is making the noise. It appears as if the bracket that is on the door "A" pillar is actually loose. I think that it might have a broken weld. How do you get inside the pillar to retack the bracket on to the pillar? Or does someone have a better idea how to deal with this situation. My impression is that it will need to be dealt with sooner than later.

Thanks
Ron
Old 06-19-2006, 04:11 AM
shafo
Instructor

Apparently the 964 had an extra weld on the lower edge of the mount which prevented this (quoted from Robin, I believe). Either the fender needs to be removed and the strap re-welded from behind ($$$) or the easy fix can be done (see TheOtherEric's post in this thread for that: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/246554-door-stay-clicking-fixed-thanks-devek.html )

If you put in a new check strap make sure to follow Chris Walrod's diy at p-car.com.

Can you tell I just dealt with all this?
Old 06-19-2006, 04:53 AM
RustyRotors
Advanced

Default Thats what I am looking for

Thanks for the lead. I really did not want to take off the fender. I think if you weld from behind that you will blister the visible paint on the pillar causing a repaint anyway. I think I will be welding from the outside.

Thanks
Ron

I do have a new check strap and will do that at the same time.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 402 Posts

My drivers side was broken on the outside just took a few minutes to repair, incluuding paint which was already being used elsewhere on the car.

Before and after
Attached Images   
Old 06-19-2006, 05:42 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by shafo
Apparently the 964 had an extra weld on the lower edge of the mount which prevented this
The problem with the extra weld on the 964 is that it moves the breakage to a location inside the door that is near-impossible to weld. So the 993 might have the lesser of two evils.

Quick Reply: Door Check strap mount loose