993 Forum 1995-1998

uneven brake pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
chet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uneven brake pad wear

My brake pad sensor came on last week, so I decided to make my first attempt at some brake work. With much trepidation, I got through it and most everything is OK. (I attempted to reinstall the brake pad sensors, but the light is still on. Either I didn't get them in right, or maybe I broke one removing them.)
The offending pad which must have set off the sensor was on the front left. The outer pad on that wheel was down to about 1/8 inch, but the inner pad on that same wheel had about 1/4 inch left. Both pads on the right side were worn down to a little less than 1/4 inch.
Is that uneven wear on the left front indicative of something else I need to fix (while I'm in there doing something about the darn sensors).
As another note, I ended up with a little trickle of something (brake fluid you ask?) dripping off of the car just behind the front left wheel well. Did I end up forcing some brake fluid out the top of the reservoir, and if so, is that a problem. I didn't check the brake fluid level before I did this, but it is sitting a little over the max right now.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Chet
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound like you have a wear issue as both pads will not wear exactly the same. The sensors trigger the warning light when they wear through, breaking/opening the circuit. Thus, you'll need to replace the sensor. If you're overfilled on the brake fluid, use a turkey baster (garage only) to extract the excess.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:12 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

What year is your car? IIRC, some of the 95's have a tube coming off the top of the brake fluid resevoir. Mine is a 95 and has one. If you pressurize the system without clamping it off, you can push fluid out this tube. But I don't remember where the tube leads to. If your resevoir is full, it's possible you over flowed when pushing the calipers in to make room for the new pads.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:24 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Good point Jim. That tube is an overflow tube which was subsequently clamped off on '96- models. If you did push fluid into it, you should have a puddle under the car.

Edit: Upon rereading your post, sounds like you did just that - a slight overflow. Nothing is wrong, just extract the excess with a turkey baster.

Last edited by epj993; 06-09-2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Revisions
Old 06-09-2006, 09:07 PM
chet
Instructor

Thanks guys. Just a little first time jitters. The sensor light which had come on and gone off intermittently for the past week stayed on after I started it up to take a test drive. Just now I pulled the car in the garage after a wash, and the sensor light didn't come on. It probably isn't completely damaged, but I guess I'll probably look up the fix on not using the sensors at all.

Now, I've got to reread the bumper removal DIY. Sure looks like a lot of work to replace that $30 headlight washer nozzle that's broken, but I can't run around looking all wonky.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by chet
My brake pad sensor came on last week, so I decided to make my first attempt at some brake work. With much trepidation, I got through it and most everything is OK. (I attempted to reinstall the brake pad sensors, but the light is still on. Either I didn't get them in right, or maybe I broke one removing them.)
The offending pad which must have set off the sensor was on the front left. The outer pad on that wheel was down to about 1/8 inch, but the inner pad on that same wheel had about 1/4 inch left. Both pads on the right side were worn down to a little less than 1/4 inch.
Is that uneven wear on the left front indicative of something else I need to fix (while I'm in there doing something about the darn sensors).

Thanks for any thoughts.
Chet
I just did my brakes this weekend, and the pads were worn evenly all around. Make sure you change your brake fluid at least every two years to prevent caliper pistons from sticking from the grunge that develops from moisture absorption.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Possible that the pistons on the more worn side are sticking slightly. I have an old set of pads from which I have knocked all of the pad material off. When I change pads on one caliper, I remove the old pads then install these pad backing plates in their place. I them pump the brakes (NO MORE than half strokes!) till the pistons have extended and forced the backing plates against the rotor. Then I spray the exposed pistons with brake cleaner to get the old gunk off. Then the pistons are pushed back into the calipers with a pry bar, the backing plates are replaced with new pads, and the brakes are pumped again (half strokes only!) till the pads/pistons are pushed back into their normal operating position.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 AM
chet
Instructor

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the pistons. I'll try that.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

You might need new seals. My front right was hanging up and wearing pads quickly. I rebuilt the calipers and all is good now.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I sprayed the pistons with cleaner, also hit them wiht a toothbrush.

The seals tips is good; the outside rubber dust shield was broken on a couple pistons from age. I removed the caliper and replaced the dust shield. Only problem is that to get them have to buy a complete caliper rebuild kit, as I remember - the dust shields aren't sold separately.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:17 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Great tips, Ray. I need to go through my complete annual brake inspection and fluid change anyway, and I may need to clean/ rebuild the calipers as well.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:44 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Could this be something to do with knackered caliper plates? Mine were wearing unevenly and it was because the caliper plates were lifting, I changed them and all seems ok now.

Quick Reply: uneven brake pad wear