993 Forum 1995-1998

C4S: RWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:10 AM
adams993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C4S: RWD Conversion

Hey guys, sorry but I couldnt find anything in a search. I am wondering what is involved in converting my car to RWD. How much will it cost...what parts are needed? Can I do the mod myself? How much weigh will I save? Is it a bad idea here in Rainy Seattle, WA? I kinda feel that my AWD doesnt work all that well anyhow....if a Rev up and drop the clutch at all, the rear tires screetch quite a bit. Anyhow, sorry for my ignorance...I appreciate any insight/advice/information!
ADAM
Old 06-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you "rev it up and drop the clutch"....at what rpm are you doing it at?........
Old 06-07-2006, 05:10 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Viper Bob has a RWD conversion kit. I have no experience with the conversion (though I suspect I'll end up there someday, probably when I do my clutch), but supposedly he uses all factory parts and it's a fairly straightforward conversion. The weight savings is around 110 lbs.

You may need to make some compensatory changes in your suspension to make the car handle "correctly," however. Again, contact VB for details.

As far as your rear tires screeching when you drop the clutch:

1. Your car is not a dragster. Stop that. You'll end up with a broken transaxle.
2. Our cars have a viscous coupling at the nose of the transaxle to transfer power to the front diff. The viscous coupling only comes into play when there is a significant difference in the rotational speed of the front and rear differentials. Furthermore, the viscous coupling only locks up when the fluid is warmed up (which generally only happens when there is wheelspin), so if you're launching the car when the diff is relatively cold, chances are that the majority of the torque is going to the rear wheels. The viscous coupling has a delayed reaction that you can distinctly feel once you become accustomed to it.

So, in short, rear wheelspin is not necessarily an indicator of problems with your AWD system.

Cheers,

-Jeff
'97 993TT
Old 06-07-2006, 06:45 AM
kennyboy
Instructor

don't do it! - the C4S is unique and all the better for it IMO.

my apologies if you've already thought about this long and hard but maybe read these anyway:

the enhanced stability of your 4S in the wet
the increased confidence accelerating out of corners
the relative rarity of your car compared to 2S's
the possible problems at resale? who wants a 2wd 4S
Old 06-07-2006, 08:24 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Adam - you've done so much work on your car. Why would you make this change now? I believe you can remove the d/s to see how it will feel but I dont know much more than that - and thats not a permanent solution. I would think that this change would not make your rear tires spin less - but more!!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 AM
pchak
Pro

I'm not sure if that would be a good idea, just to save the weight, on such a fine, limited-edition car. As Jeff pointed out, the front wheel drive is there when you need it, due to the viscous coupling. Washington is even wetter than Cleveland, so it must be an advantage out in the twisties!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd stop the drag racing as the 4wd doesn't like it. You could easily end up buring away a few thousand miles worth of clutch!

Cheers,

David
Old 06-07-2006, 09:29 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you've been dropping the clutch, chances are you've already converted it to RWD by breaking the viscous coupler. Get the car on a lift, spin a rear wheel by hand and see if a front wheel moves with it. If it doesn't ... ta-dah! You own a C2 and probably a $6k repair bill to put it right if you also managed to snap the driveshaft, like the moron who owned my previous C4 cab did.

You can disconnect the linkage to the front wheels and that will make it RWD and be reversible, as well. ViperBob knows all about that.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:34 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Learn to appreciate the characteristics and unique advantages of the C4S rather than kill off a rare and desireable model. I lived in Seattle a couple of years, and can't imagine you would be happier with 2wd.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Adam,
Driving a 911 in the manner you described is a sure-fire way to destroy your transmission. Just because the Civics with fart cans leave the line like this does not mean a 911 should be driven with the same vigor.

When I owned a 2.5 RS years ago, the big thing to do was to remove the front drive components (ala Cobb Tuning) in order to have a rear-wheel-drive Impreza. My car in stock form (AWD) and with a larger rear sway bar had wonderfully-balanced handling. The thought to chop up the drivetrain never crossed my mind.

Andreas
Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

The only reason that I can possibly imagine doing the conversion is if you have a TT and want to do a GT-2 conversion. Jean and VP both did this, to varying degrees. For a street car, the weight savings are inconsequential. You have a beautiful rare car. Why mess with a good thing?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto. Don't do it! The C4S is a classic!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
mborkow
Drifting

go for it!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

wouldnt it be cheaper to sell the c4s and buy a c2s?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My advice? A little more generic... how many times have I done some modification and didn't actually feel any improvement, and then that modification had its own set of problems? Many. Many, many. I'd just leave the car alone... you've got the cosmetics the way you want them. Don't mess with a good thing on the slim hope you can improve it. Old fartus wisdom....

Quick Reply: C4S: RWD Conversion