Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

C4S: RWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:53 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of individuals who seem to prefer 2wd over the C4S perhaps without the benefit of having owned a C4S or driven one extensively on the track. With careful suspension set up the C4S can be an excellent performer on the track. It will rotate, TTO, drift neutally or whatever you want, exactly like a 2wd, except for giving increased power to the fronts in situations where the rears cannot provide enough traction. Off camber uphill etc. are a joy in all wheel drive. Yes, you pay a weight penalty for AWD, but there are benefits gained from the system that adds that weight. I think there is little arguement the all wheel drive is excellent in the wet.
I don't mean to start up the old debate, but I think making a matter of fact statement that 2wd is somehow "better" on the track than AWD is misleading, each has its own characteristics, benefits and drawbacks. And yes, I have owned and driven both 2wd and AWD on and off the track.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:43 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Adam,

late to this thread. While RUF loves to do NB 2WD cars as they deem that the best performance combination, no one ever drives at those limits on the street (even on tracks) to make that much of a difference. While 110 lbs is quite a bit of weight, it's 3%, and I'd doubt many people can detect that difference either.

I'd say don't do it, as it is not an everyday conversion. The chance of messing it up is rather real. It will be more headache and $$ than it is worth, especially if something goes wrong. But what you said about the car not delivering power to the rear wheels under spirited starts concerns me. That is not normal for the 993, especially a 4S. You might want to have a seasoned tech test drive your car and assess the situation.

You have a beautiful car. Enjoy in great health, both physical and mental.

CP
Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
I was only commenting on the previous statement that the C2S is not nearly the car a C4S is. That would be like me saying the C2 is not Nearly the car that a C2S. Of course that's not true. They are 99% the same car.
I'm somewhere in the middle on this. I wouldn't say that the C2S is not nearly the car that the C4S is. As far as I know the C4S drives with a BIG rear wheel bias almost all the time (95%/5%), which kicks in when necessary. I'm sure that there are drivers out there that like it and I'm sure that there are drivers out there that would prefer not to have it. It's really up to the individual. However, there is no doubt that the C4S was mechanically progressive in comparison to the C2S from an engineering standpoint. So, if you wanna geek out, there you go. The C4S wins.

I think that people see that the major differences between the C2S and the C2 are aesthetic (wider hips, spoiler), while the C4S carries the additional mechanical difference of the turbo brakes. Turbo brakes = Better??? It's really a moot point whether the turbo brakes are better or not. Yeah, they may be bigger and redder, but they're also heavier. So, again, if you wanna geek out... But in Porsche's eyes, the brakes are seen as an upgrade. Incidentally, I have Big Reds on my 96 Carrera(they were on there when I bought the car), but I doubt I will ever use them to their full potential and would have been fine with the stock brakes.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonzo,

I'm back....when are we going to get together for a ride? Did you have the car out by Gringo's in Manhattan the other day? I'm out of town this weekend but hopefully we can hook up soon.

Dave
Old 06-09-2006, 03:36 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMomentum
Gonzo,

I'm back....when are we going to get together for a ride? Did you have the car out by Gringo's in Manhattan the other day? I'm out of town this weekend but hopefully we can hook up soon.

Dave
Finally! I was just going to write you! Yeah, that was probably me at El Gringo. Maybe Monday I was there??? Usually try to go for taco tuesday though. Anyway, I have all next week off work, so my plate is empty. Lemme know about your schedule.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I apologize for sounding like a snob, that was not my intention. I only meant that there are some significant bits and pieces that come on a C4S that were omitted from the C2S. Some, like the 4 channel ABS are not easy to retrofit. I actually prefer 2WD over AWD from a driver's perspective.
We're cool !!!! sometimes I/we are guilty for reading things too literally. I know I often write loosely as well giving people reason to jump on a bandwagon. I should have known you didn't mean anything by it.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:55 PM
mrg3.6
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
The 2WD conversion will save you about 100lbs. it is a great conversion, the best I have done on my car.
Jean,

Please could you provide a summary of what work/parts and cost are involved with the 2WD conversion on a TT G64 box?

Thx
Martin
911SC 3.6
Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located ?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:43 AM
mrg3.6
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by AndyT
Where are you located ?
Andy,

I live in the UK.

Martin
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg3.6
Jean,

Please could you provide a summary of what work/parts and cost are involved with the 2WD conversion on a TT G64 box?

Thx
Martin
911SC 3.6
Not to answer your question, but some might leave the G64 untouched other than to remove the coupler to the torque tube: others may open the box to remove the ( heavy) viscous coupler. Only the very last casting need be removed to pull the black 'drum' shown. ( these pics show further dissassembly for another issue).
Attached Images   
Old 04-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Originally Posted by adams993
Hey guys, sorry but I couldnt find anything in a search. I am wondering what is involved in converting my car to RWD. How much will it cost...what parts are needed? Can I do the mod myself? How much weigh will I save? Is it a bad idea here in Rainy Seattle, WA? I kinda feel that my AWD doesnt work all that well anyhow....if a Rev up and drop the clutch at all, the rear tires screetch quite a bit. Anyhow, sorry for my ignorance...I appreciate any insight/advice/information!
ADAM
My AWD works extremely well on my C4 insnow/rain. Have you checked to make sure the system is working properly?

I would say for your area, a C4S would be very useful given the propensity for rain and snow if you travel.

I like stock cars so I am not a fan of changing things. If the car doesn't suit you, sell it and buy a c2 derivative.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
mrg3.6
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Garth S
Only the very last casting need be removed to pull the black 'drum' shown. ( these pics show further dissassembly for another issue).
Garth,

Appreciate the feedback.

I am considering modifying a G64 TT box (as well as the necessary floor pan / coilovers etc) to replace the 915 presently conected to a 993 engine conversion in my 1983 911 SC so will I need to replace the end casting or any other components with 2WD parts?

Thx
Martin
911SC 3.6

Quick Reply: C4S: RWD Conversion