993 Forum 1995-1998

Partial victory ... for now!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Partial victory ... for now!

Well, after considering 4 new tires and 4 new wheels at a cost of more than $6000 USDs, I decided to just replace my rear rubber and keep my stock wheels. Yeah, I'd love to have some turbo twists with a polished lip and black centers.... and I've seen these on this board before.... but, just didn't wanna spend the cash at this time.

I had a local shop (general tire store) work up the deal and I bought a pair of B'stones 285x30/18s Potenza RE050As for $707 "out the door". Took them about 45 minutes to dismount old and mount the new sneakers. I was concerned with the effort they needed to mount the new treads. Three BIG fellas workin' their butts off to do so. No scratches on the wheels.

What a difference! The car tracks very well, now.... the ride is much more compliant and quieter, too. Plus, new sneakers look excellent.

I'm happy with the way it worked out.... but, I do want some wheels with a polished lip and black center spokes. I did see some Italian turbo twist 'clones' on the Tire Racks site... cast wheels, 32 lbs, +52 mm off sets, look like Porsche originals.... cost like $230 front/$270 rear, I think. Anyone have any opinions or experiences with these wheels?

Thanx
Old 06-02-2006, 09:03 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

32lbs? Why not just go all the way and purchase some solid lead wheels? jk

Post some pics of your $6000 wheels!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Different tires (make/model) front and rear? Careful; you could have some weird handling effects!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

pcar.... I didn't say they were "$6000 wheels". Read the post, sir. I posted last week about Wheel Enhancement saying they had original, new turbo wheels that they can polish the lip and paint the center spokes for like $4150 including the center caps. Then toss in 4 new Pilot Sport ribs for 'round $1500. Then add in shipping.... you git the idear, eh.

Plus, I don't know what 'real' turbo twist (not hollow optioned) weigh.... I tho't 32# was pretty heavy.

Ray... front and rear tires are B'stones. Both have similar tread patterns as well. The fronts are S03s, which are no longer made. The rears are 050As. So, same/same maker... and similar tread, just a bit different in construction.

I figure that I'll change out the entire set at the next turn 'round and then have my wheels done.

Quick Reply: Partial victory ... for now!