993 Forum 1995-1998

How to weed out test pilots?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P
I was selling a 914 in Chicago, in 1984. Fella calls (he was, IIRC the only one) and asks about the car. Says it is a possible anniversary present for his wife and comes by. We chat about the car for an hour, he looks it over and we go for a ride. He is pleased but wants to think about it. He calls twice or three times over the next week and asks questions, and mentions that he really thinks it is a great idea but it is too much money and too out there to do as a surprise, so he wants to return with the missus. He does, we all chat, spend another half hour looking at the car and I let them go for a test together. They never return.

The look on the insurance adjuster's face when I tell him the story was priceless.
if insurance covered your loss, that is a great story...did they?
Old 06-01-2006, 10:41 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
I like your list of questions, and will remember to use them if I sell the car. Seems like a good way to pre-screen. Definitely need to see DL, and would do the drive out, let him drive back routine. Heck, that happens a lot with new car sales. Good time to talk up the car.

I would be just as turned off if someone asked me for test drive fee, though. At some point, it's only a car, even if some level of prudence is necessary.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
hotrdd911
Instructor

When I sold my 944 I had a fellow show up in a full race suite and race shoes. I should have stopped the conversation there. What a wacko. I let him test drive the car, ALONE, and he returned it without any problems. Until I took the car to work a few days later and noticed the fellow had taken all of the owners manuals etc. from the glove box. I knew where the fellow was from and called but he denied everything. What an A$$
Old 06-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a guy come and test drive (with me) a BMW 2002 many years ago. He left me a $500 deposit (the selling price may have been about $5k) and HE never returned (or called).

Its a strange world in the auto biz.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Now when it comes to buying- I never drive. I always buy sight unseen!

Scary but true. Last 4 cars ( tho' 2 were new from dealer) were all purchased vicariously with others as my eyes without ever having driven.

I must be lucky all have been great with no surprises.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It must be an American thing because it's pretty rare that you would ever be allowed to test a car without the owner sweating it out next to you unless it was some cheapo car. You don't have to let them drive the car if you don't like the look of them so go on your gut instinct and demand proof of adequate insurance to cover them driving the car (fully comp). That will put most pilots off.

Cheers,

David
Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

The insurance company paid. It is not material whether or not you gave someone the keys, they still stole the car. There was no intent to transfer possession.

But I still remember the insurance adjuster sitting at my kitchen table, holding his head in both hands.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Over here a guy left his car unlocked when he went to pay for his petrol and the car was stolen. The insurers refused to pay! They'll use any excuse over here not to pay.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:54 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the occasional joyride is just unavoidable. I would NEVER pay a seller some charge to test drive his car. That's crazy. I think you just have to deal with it. When i was shopping for my 1st 911, a seller took me for a ride in his car but wouldn't let me drive it because he was tired of giving "joyrides". WTF?? I was prepared to buy it, too, but he blew it.

I sold two 911's in the past few years here in chicago without getting any jokers. Asking a lot of detailed questions like Steve suggested will help scare off anyone who's not serious.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Dan V
Race Car

The last car I sold, I advertised in craigslist, and stated right in the ad: "you will not test drive this car without cash in hand". The price was under $2000 - an MGB that I'd owned for 7 years (I was afraid that something would break before it got sold, as I hadn't had any problems for over 2 years). Only one guy ever showed up, and he bought the car.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrdd911
I live in a small town and am not even considering selling it here since I've never even seen another Porsche around let alone in town. I have a feeling that I'd get more "test pilots" than the usual. What do you think a fair "Test drive" price is worth?, towards the purchase. HEck I'll even give them the money back if I think their serious.
I'll give you $5.00, but you have to pick me up in Dayton.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never under any circumstances allow anyone to drive your sports car without you in it, period.
Sometimes even when you go with them it doesn't matter.
Quick Story...
I was selling my 930 a few years back and a guy called me from 300 miles away
telling me he wants to see the car on the weekend and that he's a serious buyer.
He shows up in a beat up Chevy Impala (First Clue)
He looked at the car inside and out and asked if we could go for a ride. I backed it out of the garage
and he got in while I drove for a while to warm it up. He asked if he can drive it, I said sure and pulled over.
He drove fine for a few miles. We were heading out of town on an open freeway so he could try it at higher speeds.
At the last red light, before entering the freeway, suddenly he stepped on the throttle till it banged off the limiter and popped the clutch~
I pulled the handbrake
and stopped the tires from smoking all the way down the street. The car came to a stop and I told him that I'll drive it back.
He said he just wanted to see if the clutch slips.
He got out and I got into the drivers seat, pressed the lock button and left him there 15 miles away from his car.
Chris
Old 06-02-2006, 08:27 AM
pchak
Pro

Ritter,
That's not as scary as it seems. If you know what you're looking for, and it passes PPI, that would be a reasonable way to purchase. You really have to know how the car drives/feels, colors, options, etc., but it's doable. When I was shopping for my Range Rover, that's exactly what I did. I bought on eBay, and within a week, it was dropped off ny the tranporter in a parking lot a block away. Granted, it's my high-mileage winter beater, but besides that crappy air suspension, I've had no probs.

Almost the same with my 993. I knew how they drove, and knew what I was getting. In terms of a test drive, even though the dealer had my deposit and had picked me up from the airport, (after our own personal visual inspection), he wanted to start paperwork "while the car was being moved out of the showroom". I told him that, if we were going to start paperwork, we were going to talk about the reduction in price to replace the top, etc., and we'd get the deal done. Negotiating $1500 off the price was a better alternative than taking the car for a spin. To be honest, I was surprised by two things: the extra "tracking" provided by the AWD, and the "extra crispy" stiffness of the sport suspension, but those were pleasant surprises (had my wife noticed the stiffer suspension, compared to that of our Boxster on a test drive, she probably would have tried to talk me out of it!!! ).

You figure, the "high line" guys do it all the time. There was a Carrera GT that passed through our dealer's showroom (one of many, actually), that got prepped and loaded onto a transporter, sight unseen by the owner. I guess if I had the cash to buy that car, I could afford to fly out and look at it (unless I was working 24/7 to pay for it! )
Old 06-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

When I think about it, people I've yet to meet routinely send 10's of millions of dollars to me on the advice of someone they know and trust - usually their attorney or money manager. They trust him- and he trusts me . I in turn lay the funds off with reputable institutions that I know and trust.

As long as the "trust chain" doesn't get broken, all is good. There has never been an incident in 25 years.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
When I think about it, people I've yet to meet routinely send 10's of millions of dollars to me on the advice of someone they know and trust - usually their attorney or money manager. They trust him- and he trusts me . I in turn lay the funds off with reputable institutions that I know and trust.

As long as the "trust chain" doesn't get broken, all is good. There has never been an incident in 25 years.
Yeah, but would you let them drive your car?

Marc

Quick Reply: How to weed out test pilots?