Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DON'T do a bonehead maneuver like I did!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006 | 12:01 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

...surprised you had any crankiness left to use on yourself!

Man, good luck with the fix.
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:01 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Ray! Us new guys look up to you, how could you?

20 pushups - BEGIN.

Oh well, the damage is repairable, and all's well that ends well!
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:10 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Man Ray, that's lousy. Hope you get things fixed without too much of a problem. I've done similar things in the past and usually beat the heck out of myself for not taking a few seconds to double check or take that extra step. Thanks for sharing your misfortune as a reminder to the rest of us.
Old 05-31-2006 | 03:49 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geez Ray... of all the people...

j/k... I'm glad you're OK... the car can be fixed...
Old 05-31-2006 | 04:56 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Sorry to hear about the accident Ray.....but good to hear

You were not injured.

In the interest of fine tuning the whole jack up the car scenario, and staying safe, I was thinking about using a hockey puck, perhaps cut in half along the sagittal section. Then drill a hole in the center of the puck to put a bold...with a countersunk area on the side of the puck going up against the car for a wasker and a nut...next, cut out two sections of the puck, on the same side where the countersunk hole is found, and glue in two magnets. Last touch, paint the puck white to help see the damn thing on dark dismal days.....

In theory, place the bolt into the jacking point, move it upward and the magnets should secure the puck to the car, like the space shuttle to the space station...place jack on puck....voila, perhaps....
Old 05-31-2006 | 06:44 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ray, we all need to be reminded of the dangers inherent in jacking. Having a senior member share their experience, in the face of a certain amount of teasing, is very generous. This is the Rennlist Spirit.

Last edited by Dudley; 05-31-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 09:19 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Numbnut!

Good advice Ray, I always pay close attenttion my jack is right where it supposed to be and have though about accident like this.

I'm glad nothing bad happened (head in the wheelwell area etc.) and you're ok & were able to get the car back up.
Old 05-31-2006 | 10:30 AM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

'Ya did'nt look under there - Lazybones!

...surprised you had any crankiness left to use on yourself!

Ray, whoever you are, I can only imagine the yelling you did at yourself.
Old 05-31-2006 | 11:25 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Dudley's post above...

says it all. And besides, where would we be without our Board "Gadfly" Ray, an invaluable Rennlist member, and a seriously, a legend in his time and a valuable contributor. When one, such as me, occasionally posts something not too well thought out, Ray may very well chime in to remind us of our “clay feet”…..whoops, I just remembered missing the rear jacking point and darn near ripping off the RS side skirt. Keep us honest Ray!
Old 05-31-2006 | 12:09 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Ray, don't do that again...Beaverun DE's wouldn't be the same without you!!
Old 05-31-2006 | 12:28 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dudley
Thanks Ray, we all need to be reminded of the dangers inherent in jacking. Having a senior member share their experience, in the face of a certain amount of teasing, is very generous. This is the Rennlist Spirit.
I agree. Jacking a car seems so basic, it can easily be taken for granted. During my teenage years, my car suddenly shifted on improperly placed jack stands because I was in a hurry. No injuries, but scared the crap out of me for life - lesson learned.

Glad you weren't hurt Ray and hope any damage is minimal.
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:37 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

good topic Ray and glad you're OK. Here's my issue - the jack points with all their holes and inconsistant flat surfaces don't really marry up well with the u-shaped points of my jack stand. This u-shape was ideal for my SC in the rear, but the 993 seems to just float on top on the two top-most points of the jack stand. anyone have the same issues and what are your solutions?
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:41 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slider
good topic Ray and glad you're OK. Here's my issue - the jack points with all their holes and inconsistant flat surfaces don't really marry up well with the u-shaped points of my jack stand. This u-shape was ideal for my SC in the rear, but the 993 seems to just float on top on the two top-most points of the jack stand. anyone have the same issues and what are your solutions?

Have kinda same issue..my fear is ..when the car is on four jackstands and you jack the rear up by the engine ( to remove the jackstands), the front jack stands thend to shift some. It shocked me the first time it happened..
Old 06-07-2006 | 01:49 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slider
anyone have the same issues and what are your solutions?

Glad to hear you're okay, Ray.... well unhurt anyway.

Sounds like you might need a newer low profile jack cause I had PSS9s and used the jacking plate mentioned above without problems. I never felt comfortable lifting the car from those flimsy looking factory jack points with all their holes and odd shaped, soft metal.
Old 09-21-2006 | 03:05 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Martin S.
In the interest of fine tuning the whole jack up the car scenario, and staying safe, I was thinking about using a hockey puck, perhaps cut in half along the sagittal section. Then drill a hole in the center of the puck to put a bold...with a countersunk area on the side of the puck going up against the car for a wasker and a nut...next, cut out two sections of the puck, on the same side where the countersunk hole is found, and glue in two magnets. Last touch, paint the puck white to help see the damn thing on dark dismal days.....

In theory, place the bolt into the jacking point, move it upward and the magnets should secure the puck to the car, like the space shuttle to the space station...place jack on puck....voila, perhaps....
okay... just found this (doin' a search on lifting).

genius?! anyone do this??? martin?

ps: i know... ray keeps givin'...

Quick Reply: DON'T do a bonehead maneuver like I did!