Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Yet another ferrari crash - this time involving a cop.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

I was attempting to bite my tongue, but here goes, I will keep it short:

Officers DO get tickets AND get arrested! Trust me, I know.

I can't speak for all agencies, but officers write an average of one ticket to every 5-8 warnings. It's called discretion, and why should it apply only to a certain segment of the population. I suppose if you are in the retail business, you should NOT give a deal to someone else in the retail business?

Officers DO get ongoing training in high speed driving, "track days" if you will, so yes, they are (generally speaking) better trained then the average motorist. They are also now training in autocrossing.

Two human beings lost there lives, they made a mistake and payed the ultimate price. The fact that the passenger was an officer, and somehow being more culpable makes about as much sense as placing higher blame if the driver was a lawyer, who 'should know better' since he prosecutes or defends against our indiscretions, or if the driver was a doctor, who 'should know better' as he attempts to repair the carnage of our indiscretions, etc.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Give me a break. Do we all agree the CHP officer was in the car? That's enough.
Give it a rest and have some respect for those who have died, unless, of course, you have some information that the national press is not aware of, have some subsequent justification for your sweeping generalizations and wish to share it with the world on this discussion board.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:57 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonydec
I was attempting to bite my tongue, but here goes, I will keep it short:

Officers DO get tickets AND get arrested! Trust me, I know.

I can't speak for all agencies, but officers write an average of one ticket to every 5-8 warnings. It's called discretion, and why should it apply only to a certain segment of the population. I suppose if you are in the retail business, you should NOT give a deal to someone else in the retail business?

Officers DO get ongoing training in high speed driving, "track days" if you will, so yes, they are (generally speaking) better trained then the average motorist. They are also now training in autocrossing.

Two human beings lost there lives, they made a mistake and payed the ultimate price. The fact that the passenger was an officer, and somehow being more culpable makes about as much sense as placing higher blame if the driver was a lawyer, who 'should know better' since he prosecutes or defends against our indiscretions, or if the driver was a doctor, who 'should know better' as he attempts to repair the carnage of our indiscretions, etc.
Umm, doctors and lawyers are not trained in high speed driving or given track days via thier jobs, as police officers are. Therefore, police have a higher level of training AND knowledge, and do in fact know better. Lives were lost, and that is indeed a tragedy, and I know that we all agree on that point.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:25 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Give it a rest and have some respect for those who have died, unless, of course, you have some information that the national press is not aware of, have some subsequent justification for your sweeping generalizations and wish to share it with the world on this discussion board.
Mark, I already gave it a rest - see my last post above. I'm not here to make any enemies.

Best to you,
Old 05-26-2006, 04:26 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now you can go after Michael......
Old 05-26-2006, 10:36 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993polarsilver
This thread has become absurd. Lets keep this in perspective: There are coalition troops dying every day in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as untold civilians on the ground. To pontificate about the horrible loss of two lives due to a high speed, solo crash of a Ferrari driven at high speed with a CHP officer involved is ridiculous. With only knowing what has been reported, these were two people in a high performance vehicle, breaking the posted speed limit, and at least one should have known better. A tragic loss of life, no doubt, but at least they were in control of their destiny, which cannot be said for the 2,400+ American troops who have given their lives so we have the freedom to consume cheap gas and drive fast cars. Not to mention the over 18,000 combat wounded, many of who have lost limbs and suffered unspeakable injuries.

I know that there are many people on this board who have served, and I have the utmost respect and gratitude for their service. This incident in LA will be determined by LE and no doubt the fine members of the bar who choose to profit from this sort of tragedy. In the meantime, lets keep this terrible incident in perspective.

Flame if you must, and I am sure that many will...
huh? i am not sure how you got from this car accident to a diatribe on the current administration.

Quick Reply: OT: Yet another ferrari crash - this time involving a cop.