Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-seize on Lug Nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:03 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I was wrong about comments on chrome lug nuts not galling. Check out this thread:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:g...ient=firefox-a

There are a few references to the the debate on to use antiseize or not......

Seems like antiseize can be used on the threads but you need to use a lower torque than the 92-94 factory spec torque since it assumes dry clean threads...

Sorry for reiterating what may have been already said above. Next time the wheels are off, ill put it on the faces only and keep the threads clean and dry.

Thanks for the useful thread!!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 565 Posts

Hmmm, everything I have heard is that it goes on the threads.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
LOL,..I put it on the ball face of the nuts that rest against the wheel, not on the studs.

If you put it on the stud threads, you can inadvertenly overtorque the wheels and sometimes it can feel just like a warped rotor.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
.....Now, I don't torque my lug nuts to some spec.... perhaps I should. I was brought up doing things "by hand"... (don't go there, guys!). Like just "this tight", then a bit "more". Hard to explain, but I've done this on many vehicles and always with the oil filters.....
Your method is known as colored torque.

Pink, red and blue depending on the strain in your face
Old 05-23-2006, 08:39 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Steve & Garth for your thoughts. I've never used a lubricant on the threads for the reasons they discussed. I've always thought that was Porsche's recommendation. I'd be interested in reading anything from PAG to the contrary.

On the subject of which is preferable for my nuts: lubed or dry, I'll defer to my wife, although I think it's really a question of intended use & I'm more comfortable with them dry.

Last edited by STLPCA; 05-29-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Cy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
On the subject of which is preferable for my nuts: lubed or dry, I'll defer to my wife, although I think it's really a question of intended use & I'm more comfortable with them dry.
Dan,

I'm with you . . . last thing you want is any stretching or snapping from lube-enduced over-torquing, cranking, or rotating.

Kind regards,
Old 05-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
I'm more comfortable with them dry.
Lubed nuts are always a sign that everything from all contributing parts was in fine working order and that all parties were happy.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 05-23-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Your method is known as colored torque.
Pink, red and blue depending on the strain in your face
That's pretty funny Monique.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick a stale puce. Well, that ain't zackly correct either. One has to have "the hands" to appreciate what I'm talkin' about, eh.

Anyway.... I think that placing some grease, or some such... not much.... on the wheel bolttz will make removal of same somewhat EZr.

Now, I prefer KY on my nuts with the torque specs within normal limits... if necessary.... but I prefer no wrenches or mechanical devices, eh.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
That's pretty funny Monique.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick a stale puce. Well, that ain't zackly correct either. One has to have "the hands" to appreciate what I'm talkin' about, eh.

Anyway.... I think that placing some grease, or some such... not much.... on the wheel bolttz will make removal of same somewhat EZr.

Now, I prefer KY on my nuts with the torque specs within normal limits... if necessary.... but I prefer no wrenches or mechanical devices, eh.
you should get some better rubber.......before worrying about nut grease!!!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

You guys are funny...all the engineers who have earnestly posted serious comments are grinding their teeth......
Old 05-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

you should get some better rubber.......before worrying about nut grease!!!
Phil....
You are correct, sir. I spent some time speaking with a fellow at Wheel Enhancement in CA about new sneakers and new wheels, as well.

The cost of the new wheels was a bit more than I suspected ... and I usually think "HIGH". Some new Turbo twists with polished lips (no KY) and black painted spokes/centers and cleared are $3920 (+$230 shipping)... USDs. And this does not include the Sport Pilot Ribs either ... which I suspect are around another $1500 with shipping.

Sooooooooo.... we would be looking at over $5500 for new Turbo twists and new sneakers.... all mounted, balanced, tax, shipping and such.

OUCH..!!

He did say that it would only take SIX WEEKS to get this done! Like I'm gonna do this in prime driving season, eh.

At $275 per wheel (my wheels), they could do the same/same deal... add $230 for shipping... and (again..) 6 weeks. So, my car is on jack stands for a couple months?

I think I'll just buy some new tires and be done with thewholeshebang. Maybe next tire change I'll have my wheels "redone" locally ... but, the cost at Wheel Enhancement is just tooooooo damn much IMO. Plus, what if I don't like the combo wheel/tires? Then I can use the KY that I brought myowndamnswelf on the lug nutz to prevent galling, eh?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

lol.....
I have a set of track wheels......for sale.....2750 plus shipping.......BBS mag wheels......all you will need is one rear mpcs..........on the rear
Old 05-24-2006, 04:11 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Steve, thanks for the tip about the "warped rotor feeling." I have been having subtle symptoms of warped rotors, but in a cursory look have found no evidence that they are warped. I bet that I overtorqued my wheels. (I do it by feel, and I tend to overdo it.) They are new rotors from Suncoast BTW. If I remove the wheels and torque them to spec, will this help, or have I possibly bent the rims?!
Hi Tom:

FWIW, one cannot accurately "torque" wheels on these cars by feel,...

Back in the old days with drum brakes, steel wheels, and steel lugs, one simply tightened things up with a 4-way or impact gun and watched the nut rotate til tight: they would not fall off. If you overtightened them a bit, it had no impact on braking feel & performance and the only drawbacks were the failure to break them loose by the side of the road when changing a flat,...

Now, if you overtighten the hubs/bearing carriers, you distort the whole alloy assembly that can make the rotor wobble a bit by creating some axial runout. That feels just like warped rotors.

Its not very likely that you hurt anything. I'd simply re-torque the wheels to spec and test it again. If you have some shake when you apply the brakes, I'd have a shop check the rotor & hub runout with a magnetically-mounted dial indicator out at the edges.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks for the tips, Steve. I need to get a new torque wrench sometime soon anyway...
Old 05-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche has always said no Anti-Seize thread lubricants for lub nuts/bolts. Particularly on the threads. I've used taht stuff in mostly exhaust applications but will not with wheel bolts/nuts.

Dan

Quick Reply: Anti-seize on Lug Nuts?