Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrade - Are Spacers necessary??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:54 PM
bfd365
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Upgrade - Are Spacers necessary??

First Time Poster Long Time Lurker,

Ready to upgrade my standard M032 suspension to either the ROW M030/Bilstein HD package or go overkill with the PSS9s. But before I place an order with Gert/Carnewal, I was wondering whether or not any of you who have done the upgrade have bothered with 4mm - 7mm or larger spacers to "compensate" for the "hollow" look once the ride is dropped a couple inches? Talking to the mechanic at Weissach, he told me a lot of his customers install spacers for a more "full" look once they have upgraded. Aparently you can go as wide as a 7mm spacer without having to change the mounting bolts? Any feedback and pics. of a 993 with and without the spacers would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Rob, welcome. Good choice in upgrades!! The suspension will improve the car incredibly.

However, I'm curious about what you mean by "hollow" look?? Perhaps ViperBob could pipe in here to help.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:04 PM
bfd365
Advanced

Thanks Jeff!

I assume by "hollow" the mechanic was referring to the outer edge of the tire assuming an inset stance in comparision to the edge of the wheelwell. He was telling me if I install a spacer with the suspension upgrade, it will widen the stance and push the tire/rim closer to the edge of the wheelwell.

Im not sure if spacers are necessary or not. Could be that he is just trying to upsell me on more product to spend my money on?

Not sure if it matters, but I am running the stock 18" technology rims.

Rob
Old 05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, that's what I thought he was referring to--the wheel offsets.

For what is it worth, the relative inset position of the wheels to the wells does not change with the suspension upgrade--just the possible illusion of the wheels being more inset.

Anyway, wheel spacers are not that desirable for any track usage, if that is important to you. Additionall, their installation does NOT need to be tied to the suspension upgrade. If it were me, I would upgrade the suspension and then decide if you like the look. It will be just personal taste.

Here is a comparison shot from the before and after of my car (stock US suspension to MO30/Bilstein HD): ... it is animated, so hopefully it shows that way...

This is also AFTER the installation showing a down the line shot with 17" stock cups with 55 offsets: (I've since removed the PCA badge)

Last edited by InTheAir; 05-12-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 PM
bfd365
Advanced

Thats good advice. Thanks again Jeff.

Rob

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade - Are Spacers necessary??