Sponsored by:

PPI in my eye

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PPI in my eye

Look what I found after my PPI at Rennwerke in CT...
****UPDATE: After seeing the photos, Cheech at Rennwerke was very surprised that they missed this. He shared the photos with his partner and agreed to refund the cost of the PPI to ease the sting and pushed to find other ways to make things right. I think that that this PPI may have been an exception to the quality that can normally be expected from them...it was refreshing to me that they appeared to be very embarrassed that they missed this and looked to make tings right rather than make excuses.*****

am I wrong to be angry

I noticed rubbing from the right front tire when turning to the left over bumpy roads. A closer look revealed that the right wheel was offset over an inch to the rear compared to the left! Lucky for me there does not appear to be any hub or frame damage. I used it as an excuse to order a new suspension from ViperBob, so at least something good has come of it.

You may also notice something else...that my uncalibrated PPI eye noticed. They are both struts for the right side. The brake line and all electrical conections were zip tied to the strut...goess it saved them from having to cut the corner off the ...oh wait nevermind.

oh Yeah...can you feel it!

Last edited by Newbiewan; 05-11-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think rennlisters need to start a good and bad PPI vendor list.. geez... this stuff I'm reading today alone is just not right!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:27 AM
grungyspeed
Instructor

What are you complaining about? You would have noticed it as soon as you hit about 120mph. At that point the issue would have been blatantly obvious.

Part of a PPI should entail taking the car well into tripledigitspeed. Maybe that would motivate mechanics to look at basic safety isues......
Old 05-09-2006, 12:47 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbiewan
Look what I found after my PPI at Rennwerke in CT...
AFTER Rennwerke?!! Holy cr@p! I wasn't planning on using them since my seller uses them exclusively and I want an independent eye but your finding is downright scary.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:55 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes! That is scary. Glad you found it before it became an issue for you. Amazing that someone would go to this much effort to fix a 993 wrong.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott
Old 05-09-2006, 01:57 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ceboyd
I think rennlisters need to start a good and bad PPI vendor list.. geez... this stuff I'm reading today alone is just not right!
Great Idea.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:02 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993James993
Ask for a refund from Rennwerke. And count your blessings. You found it before it found you. And pity the poor guy driving the car with two left struts.

maybe the guy who installed it should be forced to wear two left shoes for a week ..that would be interesting justice
Old 05-09-2006, 02:09 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never trusted PPI's unless I'm present through every step. That's the only way to do it.
You should be able to get your money back for that crap plus have them fix it for free.
They are totally responsible when signing that paper that you paid your good money for.
There's no excuse for letting that go.
You need to have a good talk with the owner and the mechanic who's responsible.
I'm glad you found it before something bad happened. Chris
Old 05-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

PPI blues, this is such $hit! Man, it burns me to see this type of crap...you pay someone to do a job and you get scammed by the person peforming the service just because they can.
I paid for a PPI from a dealership and boy was it sorry! Major issues missed. Man, I hope this stuff quickly get cleared up, so you can move on. I feel ya!

Last edited by Ms Kita; 05-10-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:21 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

now I understand why some people send their trusted mechanics on plane rides to check out a car before they buy...

I was at a track event once where a guy showed up with his mechanic to look at a DE track car, he did buy it (wasn't a 993) but at the time I thought it was overkill to fly out with a mechanic for an inspection but now I see the piece of mind it provided the buyer getting an opinion from a trusted mechanic.

Again I think part of what can help this situation is a list of good and bad experiences with PPIs done throughtout the country.

Wouldn't it be nice to just reference a shop in 'x' city that is on the approved rennlister side based on prior experience from someone else who bought?

Geez, there has to be a decent list of good PPI places throughout the country where people have had very positive experiences, right?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That is what happens when you cut the bracket for the brake line.....

Marc
Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Newbiewan
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear that I am not completely off my rocker for being upset this was missed.

Maybe I will call Renwerke up to see what they have to say. I will keep you guys informed.

Last evening after work, I pulled out the struts, springs and sway bars. Tonight I hope to start putting in the new Bilstein HD's and ROW M030 setup I ordered from ViperBob.

It has been great getting my hands dirty, but it would have been much better to have planned on this and negotiated it out of the price up front. Oh well...such is life when you are dating a German supermodel with a wide rear end
Old 05-09-2006, 09:01 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you caught the problem. Rennwerke in NY usually has a good reputation so I hear. Boils down to tech in the uniform sometimes rather than the any shop. Agree with PPI's the prospective owner should be there in person and meet the owner/tech, and/or have an agent there for you. Bottom line IMO... to determine how good a shop or any business performs is how they recover to you satisfaction after an error. Good luck in calling the owner of the shop and suggest pre-determine before the call what it takes for an fair resolution.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 255 Posts

Damm..sorry to hear that...but nice car .

The shop that did my PPI even discovered a bent rim....and all lil tiny trim pieces that were missing...

Quick Reply: PPI in my eye