Sponsored by:

Hit by an SUV- minor damage, major PITA

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you handled it well - but you should definitely press charges regardless of what happens with insurance.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard this story 10 times already this year from people I know, and guess what, it's always been an SUV that caused the damage. What's up with that?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you were able to catch the culprit. Some are none too lucky. This just happened to my friend's 930 over the weekend. Such a beautiful car, it's a shame. It also happened to my boyfriend's Elise, no note.

I also saw your situation occur about 6 months ago...SUV driver backed into the Audi parked behind when parallel parking, knocking the Audi's bumper loose. When the SUV driver got out giggling about it, I pointed out the damage and suggested she leave a note on the Audi. She stopped giggling and got all pissy at me, saying the Audi was like that already. There is no way she could have known that. And why get all pissy at me about it...I just don't get the attitude! So she stormed away, and I left a note on the Audi. The Audi driver called the next morning...major damage, none of which was there before. I figure I banked some good karma.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:25 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Metal solid.....most people that drive SUVs cant drive!!!! and more than that Dont care!!! and before anybody takes me to task about this I said most!!! and I dont take it back....they are a PITA and a menace on the roads!!! In Atl where I once lived I remember one telling me she did not know how her accident happened ....she was only doing 50 when she lost control........on ice.......she thought the FOUR WHEEL DRIVE WOULD TAKE CARE OF THAT !!!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:48 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about damage to your 993 and the jerk that didn't step up to the plate but at least someone saw the as.h.. and you got the culprit. I can't stand people like that; a few years ago I backed my big 1 ton Van into the front of a parked Toyota and smashed the guy's front headlights and just left a note claiming responsibility and hope that someone will do the same to me if they ever smash my car. Good luck on the repairs. BTW I think you should press charges and teach him a lesson.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

Leaving the scene, belligerent behavior, denial of responsibility even when presented with evidence ... Press charges so the next victim might get compensated.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

what is the statue of limitations on pressing charges? ..because you might have to in this case given this person's attitude toward the whole incident
Old 05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
rickw51
Instructor

It is tough for me to read all of the 'tude in the responses. I've been driving full size pickups and suv's for over 30 years and have only had experience (in 1978) when I hit a car (one of my suppliers!) in my office parking lot when backing (it taught me an awareness lesson). I log 25K miles a year on my current work pig (Ford Explorer) and about 8K a year on the 993. I am extremely careful about backing and turning in the suv. My observation is that in general, the level of driving skills, no matter what vehicle type, has drastically deteriorated during the last fifteen years. This is exacerbated by the increase in the proportion of suv's on the road when compared to small cars, including Porsches.

The lesson here is ... be acutely aware of what and who is around you when driving and parking, and be very selective in where you park (check out those around you). A little longer walk to your destination may save you some grief.

Rick

Quick Reply: Hit by an SUV- minor damage, major PITA