Sponsored by:

Lighting problem when wet

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
dmcentee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting problem when wet

The passenger's tail light and side marker lights have died on me twice when the car was wet (rain, car wash). After the car dries out the next day the lights work fine again and all of the bulbs are OK.

Any ideas ? I don't have a wiring diagram so I dn't know if these all share a common ground or something like that.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through the schematics (I have the set of hardcopy binder service manuals) to try to find a ground for my flaky taillight issue. The rear light grounds go all the way into the harnesses and go to the common ground in the engine compartment (one shock tower or the other). There is a connector in engine compartment behind a plastic cover (right side behind the rubber clutch vent hose)

If you pull the tail light housing, is there any moisture inside ? If so, clean the sockets and install new bulbs with "bulb grease". I also "tightened" my sockets by bending the side and bottom metal tabs slightly.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:35 AM
dmcentee
Advanced

Since this problem involves the front side marker, front fog light (or whatever the light is next to the bumperette), the rear side marker and the tail light - all on the same side of the car, makes me suspect that this is not a problem with moisture getting into the tail light - but is something more global.

I looked at the central electrical relay / fuse list and it appears that the front and rear side marker lights for the right side are on a fuse and not a relay, so I don't think it's a case of a intermittent relay problem.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:31 PM
dmcentee
Advanced

After further fiddling, I believe that water has nothing to do with this problem. It seems to be related to the headlight switch. If I turn the switch all the way clockwise, then the right side running lights go out - sometimes - but if I turn the switch not quite all of the way clockwise, then all of the lights work.

So - is this switch something that can be taken apart and cleaned ? How do you get the switch out to replace it ?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Lighting problem when wet