Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 track day video , me at Mantorp ring

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:02 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Re: steering - what about reaching over before the turn? For example, right turn coming, take your right hand and reach over and grab the wheel at about 10 or 11 o'clock, and as you enter the turn, your right hand can go all the way down to 5 o'clock if needed (that's ~180 deg rotation). The left hand follows behind naturally. This method keeps you pulling on the wheel rather than pushing it. However, it does not allow for easy oversteer correction, as noted above.

Anybody use this method?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A little thing to add about the shuffle steering in the video.

The Mantorp Park has two specific corners where shuffle steering can actually be a good idea. (Yes, I know some people say it's NEVER a good idea)

As you see Jannis makes it at two specific spots, one is the hairpin corner and the second one is the aquard exit from the chicane. Even though it looks odd on a video, once you're at the spot it feels more like a parking lot U-turn at low speed. Feeding the wheel can be too slow at those points and just normal feed turning can make you end up crossing hands when exiting at a quite slow speed. I'm not saying feed wheel turning is wrong here, but shuffle wheel turning isn't that bad either..

Oh, btw nice Video Jannis, looking forward to next one!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:34 PM
wayne325
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I was wondering about the "shuffle steering" myself as I was watching the vid. I noticed that
another poster a couple weeks ago at Magny-Cours was doing the same thing.

I don't know if it is considered a "no-no" in europe also, or even if you get instruction for
DE's over there. But "over here", my instructor got me to stop it during my first 20 minute
session. Every time I took my hand off the wheel, if I wasn't shifting he'd tell me to get my
hands back on the wheel. Maybe one session will work out for you also. Get a ride with an
instructor and tell him you want to work on your hands. I found that I have much more
control and I can be much smoother when my hands are not moving. I also find that I can
get the car to take a precise line right at the beginning of a turn and hold it all the way thru
the trun. All this means you will be noticeably quicker I think.

Hey while we're on it, i also noticed that there is a lot of passing and even passing in the
corners sometimes - especially the French video. Is that normal for European DE's ?
In the US the passing is much more choreographed. Each pass is allowed only on long
straights and the driver being passed must give a signal to the passing driver. If you want
to spend some time sitting in the pits (while driving with an instructor) you can just pass
someone without a pointby... :-).

Quick Reply: 993 track day video , me at Mantorp ring