993 Forum 1995-1998

oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
I have a '96 so I don't think it should be too different. Do you use a filter wrench on the small filter? If so, how do you finnagle it in there?
The first time I changed my oil, I used a metal band type filter wrench that uses a 1/2 in drive ratchet in the center. Fit with no problem. I can't quite get my Hazet cap type wrench in there although it would fit if I were to grind about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch off of it. I just changed my oil this weekend for the second time and I was able to get the filter off using just my hand.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
The first time I changed my oil, I used a metal band type filter wrench that uses a 1/2 in drive ratchet in the center. Fit with no problem. I can't quite get my Hazet cap type wrench in there although it would fit if I were to grind about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch off of it. I just changed my oil this weekend for the second time and I was able to get the filter off using just my hand.
Ah ok...maybe the trick is to tighten just enough to it can be removed by hand, b/c I don't see any way of getting a wrench past the oil return tube.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:53 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Hmm, but I don't think I'd want my filter so loose that I could remove it by hand. I couldn't get my cap-type filter wrench onto the little filter. That's why I gave up on that idea and just removed the oil line.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I removed the oil return line for the first time during my last oil change. I know almost 2 whole qts. came out of there. I was stunned. I've done plenty of 993 oil changes and always wondered why I never got much more than 9 qts. out of there. Now I know. I've never had a problem getting the small filter out with the hard line in place. I use the shrinking grabber tool that goes on a 3/8" extension and I remove the rubber heat exchanger tube.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! Two quarts is a lot!

I think the best tool to use is the oil filter cap, it is the same size for both 993 and 996. I got my cap at Pep boys, they have a variety of sizes so it is best if you bring your filter there to try it on.

For the large filter I hand tighten only (make sure hand is not greasy), on the small filter I use the oil filter socket and ratchet to give it another 1/2 turn once it is tighten by hand as there isn't enough space to get your hand up there to put good torque on it.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I think the best tool to use is the oil filter cap, it is the same size for both 993 and 996.
Same size for BMW R bike spin on oil filters and the oil filter housing caps on current Mercedes Benz's and VW TDIs as well if anyone cares I have gotten a lot of use out of that $23 Hazet cap wrench.

Once I have the orange hose/ducting removed, I seem to have more than ample clearance to work the small filter with my hands. The only thing the oil line prevents me from doing is getting a cap style wrench on due to its height (about and 1" to 1 1/4 " tall). If my cap wrench were more like 3/4" tall, it would slide between the line and the filter easily.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:54 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
...If my cap wrench were more like 3/4" tall, it would slide between the line and the filter easily.
Bingo! That's what I wanted to say. So perhaps a strap-type wrench would do it...
Old 05-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Monty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the guy who never replaces the crush washers - have you not seen a new one. If you had you would replace them every time. Once used they flatten and could leak.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know what crush washers are, the ones used on our 993 is a flat aluminum disc and there is no way you would be putting that much torque on them to crush them. If you are you are most likely over torquing them.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Ah ok...maybe the trick is to tighten just enough to it can be removed by hand, b/c I don't see any way of getting a wrench past the oil return tube.
Arrwin, You and I actually got two types of filter wrenchs on the small filter. One was the Black "cup" type pictured in a few posts above ( we used it to gently tighten it) and we also got the silver "clamp" one on it to remove the old one. There is no way to get the "band" wrench up to it.

Quick Reply: oil change question