Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is considered to be a high mileage for 993

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 92K miles on mine and there is no way I would part with it for $25K......
Old 05-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree. That price is a little too good for comfort. Have an experienced Porsche mechanic check it carefully--esp. the engine. Lots of buyers of secondhand 993s with mileages around 80K report that the "check engine light" came on shortly after purchase.

All that said, I bought one with 70K on it, no mechanic looked at it, and I have had zero trouble of any kind. Passed smog before the sale, passed it again two years later.

But I paid a lot more than $25K.

Jack of Hearts
Old 05-03-2006, 11:25 PM
chaguar
Instructor

your funny
Old 05-03-2006, 11:30 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a 964 can hardly be had for $25K, if a 993 came up for that kind of money, with minimal issues....better jump all over it! Don't worry about the miles on it, worry about the condition and buy right.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by axelrod@gmail.com
Hi there,
I started shopping for 993 - original plan was to get boxster S, but realised that 993 is what I really wanted.
I am trying to figure out the mileage limits for cars to consider. I see mileage average between 40-60K on 95-97 cars. and I am wondering what is the upper limit mileage I should consider? At what point does 993 will likely require substantial work, ie valves, water pump, engine overhaul etc.?
For example - there is a listing for
"1995 Black Porsche 993 Carrera 91K miles - $25000" is 91K out of the question?
the price seems to be very reasonable...

thanks,
m
Most of the guys on this board have a 993 will less than 80K miles…see recent mileage survey. You will fine much knowledge on this board and a bunch of great car enthusiasts who have a lot to offer.

I can say for sure that the worst thing that can happen to any car is its owner. And any used car with high mileage needs something, always. I bought a car with 150K for $22,000. It was a one owner; the guy drove it 15K per year and took care of it along the way. I drive it everyday, its in great shape and I have spent less than $3,000 on it since I bought it.

I say a well-engineered and well-kept car with over 100K has gone through the basic list of replacement items and is ready for another 100K miles.

A Porsche is a finely engineered automobile; the slightest out of adjustment and you can feel it…its engineered that well. No slop in these cars…that’s why they cost so much to maintain. You will spend money on this car to maintain it, period.

Miles on these cars don’t mean too much; forget the miles on a 993, focus on maintenance. Get a 993 that’s been taken care of, then take care of it too and enjoy the ride.

The guys on this board who own a 993 with 80K miles; after I have turned 300K on my 993 many years from now, I would buy their car regardless of miles and feel good about doing it.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 AM
hawk993
Racer

I bought mine from a guy who drove it every day, had a PPI done, came with service records, local expert shop knew and maintained the car. I think extremely low mileage cars might be a reason to run...BTW...the car is meant to be driven, Porsche didn't make it for you to buy and stick in a bubble in a garage...want a low mileage car...buy a Ferrari, it looks good because the owner can't keep it running hence the low mileage and the pristine condition...
Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Hawk....hahahaha ...... I had an Uncle (deceased now) who was a dentist and had a ferrari and you are quite right it spent more time with the mechanic driving it than my Uncle!!! But hey he LOVED that car and would hear no bad words about it......
Old 05-04-2006, 10:07 AM
tam993
Instructor

Ferrari is a great car, I've owned one at the same time I owned a Porsche. Niether car ever had any issues. But for some reason Ferrari can't stand the test of time and use. It seems like they are more delicate??? Fit and finish wise I mean. Most of the ones I looked at the interior was trash at 30K + miles or the paint was gone or the seats have no dye on them in places or they leak everything.
In all honesty I don't think they are as "useable" as a Porsche. But that's a different discussion,,, sorry.

As far as high mileage on a Porsche, I think they hang in there with daily use. 70k miles is nothing
for them. I have an 88 cab, with 77K on it. Nothing but general maintenance of wear items and a dme relay.... it has never failed to run but once (relay). the interior looks like new.
I have a 993 with 70K plus on it... stuck open SAI valve, only issue, doesn't use oil has never failed. I wouldn't be afraid of a 70-80k mile porsche. You can tell when they're right.

Quick Reply: What is considered to be a high mileage for 993